Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Kampot to Ha Tien through Prek Chak-Xa Xia border

• o_kaija

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2010

Hi,

I would like to have some advice on the best way to travel from Kampot to Ha Tien through the Prek Chak-Xa Xia Border. From what I have read so far it seems complicated to do.

Thanks for the help

#1 Posted: 28/4/2010 - 04:19

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

"From what I have read so far it seems complicated to do."

I guess it depends on your reading or your standards.

You can either buy a bus ticket or hire a tuk tuk/taxi. Both will take you directly to the border (or Ha Tien). With more than 2 persons a tuk tuk/taxi would be around the same price or cheaper.
    Off course you can make things far more complicated if you want but I really do not see how buying a ticket or renting a tuk tuk/taxi can be complicated...

#2 Posted: 1/5/2010 - 10:01

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Posted from within Vietnam.

Well I will try and be a little bit more helpful than the last poster.The best way to get from Kampot to Ha Tien through this crossing is to get the bus.It's probably not much more expensive than moto's tuk-tuks etc, and it's certainly more convenient.I only know of one bus company that actually offers a direct service without changing bus.I have used a company called "Virak Buntham".I travelled from Sihanoukville to Ha Tien,The cost was 20USD(which included a pick-up from my hotel)The bus goes via Kampot and Kep to the border,and then straight into the centre of Ha Tien(NOT the bus station)We left S/V at about 7.30am,got to Kampot maybe 1+1/2 hours later,then Kep and the border.Only silly hassle there is the "medical check" which cost 1USD,but it wasn't worth arguing.The bus gets to Ha Tien at 12.00/12.30 so if you are going to Phu Quoc,you can get the 13.30 boat.I came this way 2 days ago,after heavy rain,and the road was a sea of mud,I don't recommend a moto or tuk tuk under those circumstances,it was quite dangerous.Oh,and just to clarify,it is the same bus all the way,you obviously have to get off to show passports,but you don't have to carry your luggage,just leave it on the bus.BIG improvement

#3 Posted: 12/8/2010 - 20:59

• jadzia

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

Hello!

May I ask another question concerning that subject? I know it is possible to cross at this xing, and most people I met did it on xe om... But of course that is a matter of taste and time and money, as always. :)

I am just asking myself if it is possible to get a visa there? As far as I was able to find out, they do not accept the E-Visa and they do not issue VOAs, right?

This would mean I have to get one here at home or on the way - or change my plansd and take the 5 hours up to to the river and cross at chau doc. I am not sure. My preferred idea was to to go to Phu Quoc, back to Ha Tien (which I really relly liked two years ago! defrinitely worth staying a night, so cosy and cute...) and the take a moto or bus to Kep .

I mean it would be even better to go from Ha Tien to Phu Quoc and then by boat to Kep or Kampot. Is this possible nowadays? TWo years ago everyody said it was not.

And hey, oasisbarhatien - where is your bar located? Maybe we can have a drink together!

#4 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 22:41

• viacc65

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2007

Actually withing HaTien Tourism service it's possible to take the trip Kep-Phu Quoc crossing the Prek Chak/Xa Xia border. The bus run daily and start from HaTien (free pick up at your guesthouse) at 10.30AM and it will arrive at the island at 3PM.To make a booking contact Marie Rose at: hatientourism@gmail.com

#5 Posted: 10/11/2010 - 04:14

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010

1)The best way to do the crossing,for both safety and convenience is to take the direct bus from Ha Tien to Kep,which leaves from the tourism office in the centre of town every day at 13.30.It costs 12USD and takes about 2 hours,including the border crossing.You don't have to change bus and can leave your luggage on it.2) Yes you can get a visa on arrival in Cambodia,but as far as I know they don't accept the "E-visa" there 3)No, there are no boats from Phu Quoc to anywhere in Cambodia, there were rumours but nothing happened 4)Oasis bar is by the side of the night market,which is in the old market hall,just by the Ha Tien Floating Restaurant,do please call in when you are in Ha Tien.

#6 Posted: 11/11/2010 - 09:02

• jadzia

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

So, ok - Visa on arrival is no problem... Well, this sounds all very good. Thanks for your help; I will come round within the next 2 weeks, then. :)) Looking forward!

#7 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 17:59

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010

Just to make this absolutely clear,you can get a visa on arrival for CAMBODIA when leaving Vietnam,you cannot get a visa on arrival for Vietnam.However,you can come to Ha Tien via this border (Prek Chak/Xa Xia) without the need for a visa for Vietnam.Ha Tien is designated a "Special Economic Zone" and you can visit for up to 15 days without a visa,you just get an entry stamp.BUT,you are not supposed to travel further into Vietnam or even to Phu Quoc,you are restricted to the town and the Mui Nai beach area

#8 Posted: 18/11/2010 - 11:32

• jadzia

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

ah, now I see. No, we are leaving Vietnam to Kambodia this way. But interesting, seems to be one of the rare ways to come to Vietnam without a Visa. But strange that they even do not allow you to go to Phu Quoc if they issue such things... Well, it all in the flow, let's see.

Thank you oasisbarhatien. I am really interested what Ha Tien is going to be like. Last time there was not many things and now it seems to have changed so much! I will be there end of november and will be happy to meet you!

#9 Posted: 18/11/2010 - 17:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Prek Chak/Xa Xia border (Kep Ha Tien) ... By oasisbarhatien on 4 Dec 2011 1 3806 2 Mar 2012
Prek Chak/Xaxia (‘Ha Tien’) border crossing and E-visa ... By Pjotra on 22 Jul 2010 1 4310 12 Aug 2010
Xa Xia / Prek Chak border crossing HELP! ... By kat181 on 19 Aug 2009 3 4242 20 Aug 2009
Prek Chak / Xa Xia crossing - Visa On Arrival ... By apfennell on 20 May 2008 1 4072 21 May 2008
Phnom Den / Tinh Bien OR Prek Chak / Xa Xia -- Crossing from Kep to Chau Doc ... By amazon_blonde on 17 Feb 2009 3 7216 18 Jan 2011
Ha Tien to Kampot? ... By emmryss on 1 Feb 2008 6 8636 16 Mar 2011
Is it true you can get a direct bus from Kampot over to Ha Tien? ... By herbert1 on 25 Sep 2010 2 2322 30 Sep 2010
Kampot -> Ha Tien + Phu Quoc ferry schedule ... By Mikko on 15 Mar 2010 2 7186 17 Aug 2010
Ha Tien Border Crossing??? ... By nadjan on 24 Jul 2006 3 5089 24 Nov 2009
Ha Tien Border Crossing??? ... By nadjan on 24 Jul 2006 1 2818 25 Jul 2006