Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Independence Beach Sihanoukville

• criss1

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

I plan to stay at the Independence Hotel for 7 days in January with my wife (we are both 60ish) but your travel guide suggests that much of the nearby beach is closed to the public pending 'construction'. Has anyone been there recently or know whats going on & whether any of this is likely to spoil being in what is hoped to be a quiet part of Sihanoukville (especially as it costs more money to stay here). We are trying to be some distance away from where there's lots of nightlife or noisy areas. Any suggestions?

#1 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 20:55

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Independence beach was one of my favourite beaches in Asia up until the start of the renovations.It's a gorgeous beach with clean water and very quiet.
    In their wisdom the local government got rid of the little restaurants on the beach, where you could sit in the shade and eat fresh seafood, and put up an ugly green fence around the land adjacent to it.
    At the moment there is a small public area on the opposite end to the Independence hotel where you can buy a drink and sit on some extremely rickety deckchairs.
    I'm no expert on the hotel but I've visited the grounds which are quite extensive and beautiful.I believe the beach below the hotel is for hotel guests only.So you will have access to part of the beach.
    I was down in Sihanoukville about 6 weeks ago and no work had been started then, these things can take years in that part of the world and with a recession I doubt whether they will be building for quite awhile.Unfortunately, in S.E. Asia noise and dust are not seen as bothersome and if it does start you will not be able to do much more than grin and bear it. I suggest you e-mail the hotel nearer your time of departure to check whether work has started.
    If you like a luxury hotel what about The Sokha hotel on the beach of the same name.It's not isolated but it is guaranteed to be quiet with a beautiful private beach and security patrols.

#2 Posted: 6/5/2010 - 23:33

• Munfasa

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010

did you think to change Sokha beach Hotel?it's nice place and warm regards.

#3 Posted: 13/5/2010 - 01:38

• criss1

Joined Travelfish
    5th May, 2010

Thanks for the information which was very helpful. The Sokha hotel was one of our options but after further consideration we have decided to stay at the Independence.

#4 Posted: 16/5/2010 - 13:28

• Bocomo

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2009

Stayed at the Independence Hotel this past weekend. Very nice hotel, excellent service, and best of all a private beach. In fact when I was there there were only a few guest and I had the beach to myself on more than one ocassion. Plus they have a free shuttle service. Food was reasonably priced be western standards though drinks were expensive. Recommended, let me know if you need further info.

#5 Posted: 27/5/2010 - 21:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.