Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Just Back from cambodia

• sabyasachi1-

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2006

I am just back from Cambodia. Was there for 4 days in Siem Reap and 2 in Phnom Penh. Excellent weather, faced no problems at all. If anybody needs any help please do get in touch.

#1 Posted: 30/10/2006 - 21:22

• Advertisement

• guysmiley

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2006

hi would you possibly know where would be the closest place to cross over from tahiland to cambodia? we are gpoing to be in Ko Chang for a few days before heading to cambodia. We are looking at getting to sihanoukville before taking on the trek to Phnom Phenh

Would be great if you could help.

Thanks zak

#2 Posted: 31/10/2006 - 23:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Zak,

Welcome to Travelfish!

The closest border crossing to Ko Chang is the Haad Lek crossing -- see the border crossing summary for details.

#3 Posted: 1/11/2006 - 03:14

• guysmiley

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2006

Thank you Somtam2000

So this means that we could possibly catch a boat to ko kong from ko chang. And seeing that they are so ridiculous about money for visas where can we organise a camobian visa beforehand?

Thanks again ZA...uhh i mean...Guysmiley (oops):-)

#4 Posted: 1/11/2006 - 16:57

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

no - no boat from ko Kong to ko chang - you need to go by minibus/songtheaw to Trat, then to Laem Ngop (for pier) then boat to Ko Chang. You may be able to get transport from Haad Lek straight to Laem Ngop - not sure.

Cambodian visa beforehand in Bangkok, or show up at the border with the right money in crisp new USD notes and you shouldn't have a problem.

#5 Posted: 1/11/2006 - 17:24

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

doh -- just read your post again -- no boat from Ko Chang to Ko Kong either!

#6 Posted: 1/11/2006 - 17:25

• wolfman

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2006
    Total reviews: 4

transport from ban haad lek to laem knob is a question, but you get a minivan from laem knob to haad lek!

#7 Posted: 2/11/2006 - 16:47

• BUCKSBLOKE35

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2006

Hi,
    will be in cambodia next week.did you travel on the siem reap to poipet road.tales of asia are saying parts were under water the other week.has it got any better.
    tony

#8 Posted: 2/11/2006 - 17:34

• guysmiley

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2006

Thanks for the help, got myself sorted out. cambodia is now kinda planned out, dont want to plan too far ahead i say.
    There is just one more thing i am not sure of...anyone know if there are any ferries/boats that cross over the gulf of thai? Why i ask is because we start off in phuket, and if it be possible we just want to jump on a boat/ferry from somewhere like Chumphon and shoot straight through to Ko Chang. Anyone know if that can be done??

#9 Posted: 2/11/2006 - 23:59

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Guysmiley -- no passenger boats like that unfortunately.

#10 Posted: 3/11/2006 - 05:19

• Advertisement

• sabyasachi1-

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2006

Sorry Tony, I travelled to and fro on the Phnom Penh - Siem Reap highway which was in pretty good shape.

#11 Posted: 3/11/2006 - 15:36

• guysmiley

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2006

hi sabyasachi1212

can i ask how did you travel on the highways, rental? bus?

#12 Posted: 3/11/2006 - 19:00

• marklatham

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2006

Hey guysmiley.
    I have been the reverse way from snooky to koh kong by minibus,a real experience.Dirt roads,mountains,four river crossings on dodgy ferries-but very good.However that was in june before the rain,the road would be impassable in october I think.
    My mates took the boat,about the same duration but in good weather very comfy.
    Price about the same for both.

#13 Posted: 5/11/2006 - 17:20

• sabyasachi1-

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2006

Hi guysmiley,
    We travelled by bus both ways. I took a $7 Hong Reng Air con bus which was supposed to have a W/C toilet, which seemed defunct. It took about 7 hours with a tyre puncture midway. While coming back to Phnom Penh we turned up at the bus stand and booked seats on the spot. It cost us $4 each on an Aircon bus and the journey time was about 5 and half hours. The road is in good condition, I was there in October 2nd week. Had perfect weather throughout our stay, almost no rain, clear blue skies. If you are looking for accomodation at Phnom Penh, I would highly recommend the Sydney Angkor Hotel on Wat Bo Road. We stayed there, excellent service, very good staff. Good location.

#14 Posted: 6/11/2006 - 14:57

• guysmiley

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2006

Thanks peeps,

Seemslike travelling cambodia does not seem as scary as i thought it to be.

Cheers

#15 Posted: 6/11/2006 - 19:06

• sabyasachi1-

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2006

Sorry Guys, the Sydney Angkor Hotel is in Siem Raep and not Phnom Penh as I had mentioned by mistake in my earlier post.

#16 Posted: 7/11/2006 - 11:05

• gillianmcca-
    rrey

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006

I am planning to visit Cambodia for 1 week during a visit to Thailand. I am female and will be travelling on my own and would like advise on the best place to stay in terms of meeting people. I will be in Phnom Penh for 3 days and Siem Reap for 3 days. I was also wondering if you had any helpful advise in terms of safety as a lone female. Any advise would be much appreciated thanks.

#17 Posted: 9/11/2006 - 05:16

• sabyasachi1-

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2006

Hi Gillian,
    I too visited Cambodia from Thailand. We flew Thai Air Asia to Phnom Penh and back. Travelled to Siem Raep by bus. My wife and our 8 year old son was with me. I don't think security is a problem at all though we were warned about bag snatching both at Siem Raep and Phnom Penh. People in general were very nice, courteous. Where you will stay will depend on your budget. We stayed at Dara Reang Sey at Phnom Penh. Its a basic hotel, we were on the 3rd floor, no elevator. But otherwise the room was spacious and had a balcony overlooking the road. The best thing is its central location, close to the riverfront, the royal palace, silver pagoda, central market -- all within walking distance. As I have already said on this forum, the Sydney Angkor Hotel on Wat Bo Road in Siem Raep is a nice place to stay. Good location, very clean and good service. We really liked it. The Srey Na Khmer Restaurant opposite this hotel run by the same management is a nice and cheap place. You can book most places through the internet. No advance needed, just inform them when you are arriving. They would arrange for a free pick up as well. Since you have six days in Cambodia, you can break it up as 2 days at Phnom Penh and 4 in Siem Raep since it won't take more than a day to look around the main place at Phnom Penh.
    I hope this helps.
    Sabyasachi

#18 Posted: 9/11/2006 - 11:35

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

How long is the bus ride from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh? Also, any idea about the cost of a car with driver for that trip? Many thanks!

#19 Posted: 10/11/2006 - 07:43

• longleat

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2006

How long is the bus ride from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh? Also, any idea about the cost of a car with driver for that trip? Many thanks!

#20 Posted: 10/11/2006 - 07:43

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Bus is around 4 hours - sometimes a little longer. Car with driver I'd guess around $40- but am not sure.

#21 Posted: 10/11/2006 - 10:40

• sabyasachi1-

Joined Travelfish
    4th October, 2006

Hi longleat,
    The busride from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh or back is about 5-6 hours. There are two stops on the way for lunch or refreshment. A car with driver will cost you around $45-50 and should cover the distance in about 4 hours.

#22 Posted: 10/11/2006 - 11:22

• guysmiley

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2006

HI somtam2000,

Would you recommend that we rather fly from Siem R back to BKK. Or is the busrides not that bad..?

Thanks

#23 Posted: 3/12/2006 - 03:47

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I don't mean to speak for our host, but I'd bet money that Somtam will recommend flying from SR to BKK. It's expensive, but a good splurge to get you back quickly and easily.

If you've got the time and your kidneys can take the jolt of the road, I might recommend the overland route. First off, you can get a taxi instead of taking the bus from SR all the way to the border for something like $30-$35, and that is good for up to four people. Second, once you get to the border, there are often BKK taxis trolling around on the Thai side waiting to get passengers so they can cover their gas costs. We found a taxi that took the 4 of us all the way to our hotel on Sukhumvit Rd in Bangers for 300 baht per person, which is what we would have paid in bus fare each for the return trip.

In any case, the SR to BKK overland trip is an adventure and a bargain when compared to flying, even when you flashpacker it and take the taxis. Cheers.

#24 Posted: 3/12/2006 - 11:13

• guysmiley

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2006

Exacto

You legend.... thanks

Cheers

#25 Posted: 3/12/2006 - 16:12

• agnesbism

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2006

Hi,
    im flying to siem riep in a few days time..anybody know which is the most budget method to travel from siem riep to vietnam hanoi?

cheers
    gina

#26 Posted: 4/12/2006 - 16:10

• Manticore

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

hi Gina,

Its a long way overland between SR and Hanoi and may be worth checking out air travel as a feasible option.

cheers,
    Mark

#27 Posted: 6/12/2006 - 19:44

• citizenworld

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2006

Hi -
    Would like to travel from Trat/KoChang to Siem Reap in one day. Would also like to make the return trip (SR to Trat) in one day. What's the best and most reliable way to do this? (Other than flying.) Does going to SR via Phnom Penh make it any faster or more reliable. I've got a flight out of Trat that I don't want to miss.

#28 Posted: 8/12/2006 - 00:07

• razzy

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2006

Hi
    I'm leaving for Laos in a few days. I will be crossing the Laos/Cambodian border by overland transport. What is the best way to do this? Where is the Laos/Cambodian boder crossing?
    I've heard bad things about it and am a bit scared! I will sort out a Cambodian visa before I leave Oz, but am interested in the logistics of border crossing.
    Thanks loads!
    Razz

#29 Posted: 19/12/2006 - 07:36

• marianwarren

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2006
    Total reviews: 13

Razz

I've written about my experience re Veung Cham/Dong Cralaw under 'border crossing' post. Check there so I don't have to write it all again. Visa on demand takes about 5 mins each visa.

Regards

Marian

#30 Posted: 20/12/2006 - 08:11

• hkk79

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2006

I had try using e-Visa to Cambodia, it is quiet convenience... maybe one of you guys can try it out at www.mfaic.gov.kh

#31 Posted: 22/12/2006 - 11:12

• Kihine

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

Hello,
    At first, sorry for my bad english, I'm french .... My question: I've read that it's possible to reach Siem Reap by ferry-boat from Phnom Penh. Is there somebody who knows the timetable from these boats and the price ? Thanks !
    Kihine

#32 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 22:11

• theyanna

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2011

I just got back from checking out the beautiful beaches in Cambodia. I did all the planning myself using guidebooks and talking to some friends who visited before.

My favorite website is http://www.gosihanoukville.com , it has tons of information about hotels, dining, visa issues, beaches in Cambodia's best beaches...highly recommend it. I haven't found other good resources online specifically about Cambodia's beaches other than this one.
    The guy who runs it is American so it works out great if you have questions about Cambodia..no language barrier assuming you speak English. Have fun!

#33 Posted: 22/1/2011 - 23:19

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Cambodian visas are easy to sort on arrival by the way...

'sheeed

#34 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 11:00

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

@Kihine - c'est possible mais c'est cher et cela prend beaucoup des heures. There's some information here:

http://www.travelfish.org/getting_around/cambodia

http://www.canbypublications.com/siemreap/srtransp.htm

Bonne chance!

#35 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 11:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.