Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

hospitals in Cambodia

• akhut

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2006

I am making my 1st trip to Cambodia this April '07. I am an RN and would like to visit the main hospital in Phnom Penh or Siemreap, or maybe both.. I need to research more into which hospitals, etc. I'd also like to donate some medical supplies... does anyone have any idea what is needed, or even just a contact person, someone who can help me in organizing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

#1 Posted: 1/11/2006 - 02:15

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

akhut,

have you tried contacting the Cambodian Red Cross? their website is http://www.redcross.org.kh/.

perhaps you can contact the red cross or red crescent society in your own country to see if there are any bilateral programs with cambodia. regards.

#2 Posted: 1/11/2006 - 02:56

• dtm39

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2005

I would avoid the Cambodian Red Cross...one of the most corrupt organisations in Cambodia. My advice is to donate to an independent international NGO. Public hospitals will probably sell donated equpment/donations for personal profit. Private hospitals are profit making concerns. The reality is that Cambodia is a corrupt country.Sad, but true. Giving to an international NGO may ensure that your donations do some good, rather than lining someones pocket.

#3 Posted: 2/11/2006 - 11:27

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

akhut,

perhaps you can contact your country's embassy in cambodia (if they have one - not everyone does of course) and see if they can recommend something and even set you up. cheers.

#4 Posted: 3/11/2006 - 10:36

• dancingroads

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2006

One place that will appreciate your support and help is the kantha bopha children's hospital in Siem Reap run by Dr. Beat Richner...

A few links:
    National Radio

Disc. on Tales of Asia

http://www.beat-richner.ch/

#5 Posted: 3/11/2006 - 13:07

• akhut

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2006

thank you everyone for your replies!

dancingroads, i checked out the websites and they were VERY helpful! i am a RN in the neonatal intensive care unit so i was looking for a children's hospital to visit so your info was perfect. i wonder how i would go about in setting up a visit with the hospital. i am so interested to see how the care is with preemies and ill newborns? anyhow, you set me in the right direction and i appreciate it. i've got more research to do! ;)

#6 Posted: 3/11/2006 - 13:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.