Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

travel from Siem Reap to Vientaine Laos

• dayman

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2010

I am trying to get from Siem Reap to Vientaine in july and was wondering what was the fastest way to do this. Was hoping to do overland travel not fly. Any suggestions on train or buses travel would be a great help !
    thanks

#1 Posted: 30/5/2010 - 19:24

• Advertisement

• dano_b

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

It'll be a long ride and would be best done by breaking it up! From Siem Reap , buses go south as far as either Kampong Cham or Phnom Penh then back up through Stung Treng to the border. This part of the trip took a full day (leaving Siem Reap at 5am, arriving at the border around 5pm). A good idea might be stopping for a couple days in the 4000 Islands, just 30 minutes passed the border in Laos. From there, you can catch overnight sleeper buses from Pakse to Vientiane, maybe 9 hours or so, I forget exactly.

#2 Posted: 31/5/2010 - 05:33

• yogakhaolak

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

The easiest and quickest way is to go through NE Thailand.
    Cross into Thailand at the Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing. Take the bus from the bus terminal in Aranyaprathet to Korat(Nakon Ratchisima). From Korat you can either take another bus or the train to Nong Khai, and from there cross into Vientiane.
    If you leave early enough you could probably do it in a day.

#3 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 10:11

• dayman

Joined Travelfish
    30th May, 2010

thanks for the info!

I've decided to go from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh for a couple of days and then head to 4000 islands. The over night bus from there to Vientaine seems like the best option for me.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 2/6/2010 - 13:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bus/Train Travel from Bangkok to Vientaine ... By jadw on 8 Aug 2006 5 2189 9 Aug 2006