Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Itinerary Suggestions

• nomad29

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2010

Hi
    I am going to Cambodia in Dec this year. Plan at this stage is to spend a couple of nights in Bangkok, where my flight arrives to, then go to Siem Reap for a few days, Battambang for a few days , Phonm Penh and Sihanoukville for a bit. I'm trying not to plan too exactly how long I will be anywhere, so I can change my plans and add/remove activities and desitnations if the mood takes me.

Havin said that I need to be sure I'm back in Bangkok in time to fly onwards to New Zealand. What would be the best way of getting from Sihanoukville to Bangkok? If could break the trip up over a couple of days that would be brilliant, ideally not having to revisit anywhere I have already been.

Any ideas welcome! Thanks.

#1 Posted: 6/6/2010 - 22:40

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

sihanoukville back to phnom penh and get a flight with air asia to BKK, it's really cheap and saves you at least a day of traveling. Otherwise you can go by bus from sihanoukville to the border of thailand (don't know what the border's name is, sorry ) and go on to bangkok. This should be a nice trip to visit some places between the border and BKK but takes a lot longer ofcourse.

#2 Posted: 7/6/2010 - 18:36

• nomad29

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2010

Thanks that sounds like the best plan- always hard finding a balance between economy and time when you're travelling.

#3 Posted: 7/6/2010 - 23:41

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I'd go for the overland route along the coast.

It's not that much longer, simple and cheap.
    Since you have the time it's worth it to do it in a two night trip (You could do it in a (long)day as well).

Take a bus to Koh Kong from SHV (4 hours scenic trip) and cross the border into thailand. You can then spend two nights on the island of Ko Chang in Thailand which can be easily reached from SHV in a day. From Ko Chang you're in comfortable daytrip-reach of BKK. You even have the option of visiting Pattaya (if that's your thing) or Ko Samet which bring you even closer to BKK.

But you can decide on the spot in SHV. If you like it there, spend as much time as you want and do the PP-BKK flight (if flights are available). Otherwise you'll have the option of the overland route.

#4 Posted: 8/6/2010 - 09:26

• jensysmith

Joined Travelfish
    17th May, 2010

Thanks for the details eastwest.Even I am looking for the same.

#5 Posted: 20/6/2010 - 21:51

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I didn't stop in Trat (on the way of that border - Thailand side) but here it is a nice place to explore. Can second Ko Chang as a good location - depending on what you're in for, if you want a really isolated beach you could do worse than a couple nights on Long Beach in the Southeast of the island - for more of a party, Lonely Beach will keep you happy for a few days.

In the past there have been a lot of concerns about that particular border crossing between Thailand and Cambodia, and that has always made me shy away from making plans there. I recommend you get some up to date information on any troubles.

#6 Posted: 21/6/2010 - 10:45

• JourneymanT-
    raveller

Joined Travelfish
    28th June, 2010

You didn't mention Angkor? Unless you assume that to be part of your time in Siem Reap, but it really is worth a full day, or even two, on it's own.

#7 Posted: 4/7/2010 - 03:37

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.