Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

2 Weeks in Cambodia - How long to spend in each place?

• scahn

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2010

My friends and I will be travelling in Cambodia for 2 weeks towards the beginning of December. We're all 19 so we'd like a mix of everything not only the backpackers scene. I've found on this amazing website a suggested itinerary but what I'm really after are suggestions of how long to spend in places or maybe some are just day trips? I would really appreciate some advice on how long to spend in Phnom Penh, Siem Reap and suggested places like Battambang, Sihanoukville, Kep, Kompong Cham and Kratie (or feel free to tell me whether some are not necessary)

#1 Posted: 10/6/2010 - 16:27

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

since you only have 2 weeks it's gonna be short but just enough for cambodia.

Phnom Penh: 4 days(toulsleng museum, killing fields, russian markets, ... ) as it's a really big city you need to take your time to go around and do the stuff you wanna do.

Siem reap 3 days (1 day at the temple is enough), 1 day at the lake : this is a really beautifull place to do a boat trip and 1 day of sightseeing in Siem reap).

battambang : no idea.

Sihanoukville : 2 days of chilling probably, maybe a boat trip
    Kampot , maybe skip from Sihanoukville to Kampot for a day as well.
    Kratie : 1 day

that's about it for the trip as you need to include busrides as wel you're almost at 2 weeks then.

busses: phnom penh - kratie : 5h
    phnom penh - siem reap : 5h
    phnom penh - sihanoukville : 3-4 h
    phnom penh - stung treng : 8-10h

#2 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 01:37

• yogakhaolak

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

I personally don't think you can do all of these places in 2 weeks.
    You will need 2-3 days in both Battambang and Kampot. Both are great places with a lot less tourists than the other destinations.
    Also, unless you want to see all of the gruesome Khmer Rouge sites you can easily see Phenom Pehn in 2 days.
    If you will be hitting other beach destinations in SE Asia than I would skip Sihanoukville.

#3 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 11:23

• yogakhaolak

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

Actually maybe even 3-4 days in Battambang and Kampot.

#4 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 11:25

• scahn

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2010

Thank you so much for the advice! I only mentioned all the other places (not Siem Reap and Luang Prabang) because on travelfish it's got a suggested 2 week itinerary with those places, just no suggested time to spend there.
    We'll actually be volunteering in a school near Siem Reap for 5 days. However, volunteering will only start in the afternoon so do you think if we're only volunteering from say 2pm-5pm we'll have enough time to see Siem Reap over those 5 days? Or do you suggest we stay for a day or two longer, so we have some extra full days to see things we may not have yet?
    What's there to see in Battambang and Kampot? Are they similar places?
    Could Sihanoukville be a day trip out of Phneom Penh? Or do you think maybe it's too far for just a day trip? Perhaps one night is sufficient? (after all we will be spending 10 days in Koh Phangan)

Really appreciate all your help!!

#5 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 11:53

• scahn

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2010

I meant Siem Reap and Phnom Penh - my mistake!

#6 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 12:32

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I didn't care for Phnomn Penh much; partly, I think, because there were a lot of very seedy characters around (western ones, that is) and partly because both my wife & I went down with food poisoning less than 24 hours after arrival. First and only time we had this in 4 months of travelling in the region. The Killing Fields museums are a must, of course, though are harrowing, to say the least, but its important you go. But I agree that much more than 2 nights in the city seems excessive.

Seam Riep, however, we loved. It is true there are A LOT of tourists there, but we really liked it. There is a lot to do both in and around the town. We spent 5 nights there and had a 3 day pass for the Angkor temples. We weren't sure whether scrabbling around temples was our thing, but we absolutely loved it. Getting up at dawn to beat the crowds to some lovely places to watch sunrise, talking with the kids who sell postcards or books, travelling by tuk tuk through the countryside, seeing temples away from the main ones, going to the Landmine museum, visiting an orphanage. We actually ran out of time there and could happily have stayed longer.

The town itself was a surprise, also. Didn't expect much, but it has some very nice colonial architecture, some very good restaurants (all those tourists) and bars and a very good market in town.

I can't comment on anywhere else in Cambodia, I'm afraid, as we didn't go.

#7 Posted: 11/6/2010 - 18:33

• scahn

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2010

What your opinions on spending 1 full day (2 nights) in Sihanoukville, Kampot and Battambang in order to see it all and get it all in or would you rather suggest we get rid of one and spend more time in another? Or alternatively, is there a more interesting place to see in stead of one of those? I hope I'm making sense! Basically, we don't have THAT much time but I feel as though we should see as much as possible. Keeping in mind we're 19 yr olds and pretty much want a taste of everything!

#8 Posted: 17/6/2010 - 14:27

• sidewinder

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 7

Really wouldn't bother with Sihanoukville considering you say you're going to Koh Phangan as well. Beaches arnt great and there just seems to be an underlying feeling of seediness to the whole place. Just think there are better places to see in Cambodia, unless you're desperate for a beach

#9 Posted: 18/6/2010 - 00:03

• scahn

Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2010

So do you think that Kampot and Battambang are must sees?/Is 1 full day enough?

#10 Posted: 20/6/2010 - 07:03

• Advertisement

• bakpakk

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2010
    Location Cameroon

I ended up spending a large portion of my time in Sihanouk ville because of the party and backpacker scene. If you are young and into that kind of stuff, then I would advice you to allocate more time to Sihanouk ville.

I only did two days in Siem reap (one for the temple, one for the sightseeing), two in Phnom Penh and then a week in Sihanouk ville for snorkeling, visiting the islands, parties etc

#11 Posted: 20/6/2010 - 11:29

• eidoos77

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2010

I know from my holidays you could never do all of these places in 2 weeks and really enjoy your trip.
    You will need 3 days in both Battambang and Kampot. Both are exciting places with few tourists compared to the other destinations.
    Also, if you want to see all of the Khmer Rouge sites you can easily see Phnom Penh in 5 days.
    If you will be enjoying beach destinations in SE Asia than I would certainly go to Sihanoukville. Eidoos77.

#12 Posted: 22/6/2010 - 05:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
how long to spend in Vietnam ... By Lisa86 on 16 May 2012 18 9563 21 Aug 2012
How long to spend in Chiang Mai? ... By sackonmyback on 25 Jul 2006 1 2524 25 Jul 2006
How long should I spend travelling SEA? ... By maabee on 14 Oct 2012 5 3752 14 Oct 2012
Best place to spend christmas and new year malaysia ... By jeromedoyle on 16 Jan 2011 2 5564 18 Jan 2011
Best Place to spend Thai New year in april?? ... By jonnymac on 30 Nov 2011 3 1911 2 Dec 2011
Looking for a place to spend New Years other than Full Moon Party ... By mightycabage on 14 Oct 2011 5 1464 15 Oct 2011
How long to spend in Vientiene and Luang Prabang?? ... By scahn on 10 Jun 2010 9 13052 12 Jun 2010
The Best Way to Spend Two Weeks? ... By waysofwanderers on 19 Aug 2012 4 2149 8 Sep 2012