Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

The best places to see in Cambodia!

• torilou

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2010

My boyfriend and I leave for our travels on Tuesday, flying into Bangkok. We are concentrating on Cambodia and Vietnam.

We are visiting Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Kep on our way over to Vietnam, but I wondered if there are any recommendations for other places on our way back through to Bangkok? I don't know how to narrow down all the information I keep reading!

Thanks all :D

#1 Posted: 13/6/2010 - 15:38

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

This is little information to advise you on. Where do you re-enter cambodia coming from Vietnam? interests? how do you want to go back?

I assume you do BKK-SR-PP-Kep-SGN on way up

If you want somthing different I would say re-enter in PP and from there go to SHV. If SHV appeals to you stay there for some time or follow on to Ko Kong and cross border into Thailand.

Around Ko Kong you have some eco-tourism options (though still in it's infancy) or visit some islands just after the border in Thailand (Ko Chang). Then you're in safe day-trip distance of BKK and can chill out.

You can find info on that on the forum.

Otherwise you'd need to give more information on what you want and your interests. This is a bit vague.

#2 Posted: 14/6/2010 - 13:42

• torilou

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2010

SHV meaning Sihanoukville? We had thought of that. Any beach recommendations? We aren't huge fans of overly touristy areas but we do want there to be life!

I'm not sure we'd be looking to going anywhere else in Thailand, its not somewhere we have planned for. Although I will look up Ko Chang.

We are planning on either travelling back into Cambodia through the Tinh Bien or Moc Bai borders.

Not sure if thats enough information! On the way through to Vietnam we are doing BKK-SR-PP-KEP-PP then on to HCMC.

Tori

#3 Posted: 15/6/2010 - 03:10

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

First of all I would recommend you to travel onwards after Kep instead of going back to PP before going to HCMC.
    From Kep you can easily cross the border to Ha Tien.

From there you'll have the option of going to Phu Quoc (for beach visit) or continue to Can Tho which is in the middle of Mekong Delta.
    Then on to HCMC. That will save you a lot of travel time backtracking within both cambodia and vietnam.

I thought you were looking for alternatives on the way back to BKK?
    You can get back to BKK from Cambodia in a day but those are long bustrips. Unless you fly of course but then the whole question doesn't make sense.

I personally don't like the town of SHV but it appeals to low budget backpackers looking for cheap beachlife and parties. However, Otres, Ream and the islands (all just outside SHV) have some great beaches with a real getaway feeling to it and those are very quiet. Info can be found on the forum.

good luck

#4 Posted: 15/6/2010 - 17:43

• torilou

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2010

Thank you for all your information. Its much appreciated. We had actually asked someone before about travelling back to PP to HCMC, that is what they recommended, but we will definitely look into the alternative. It sure does make sense!

As we aren't low budget backpackers I'll have a look into the quieter beaches you mentioned in and around SHV. Im sure one of them will appeal. Everywhere looks beautiful, I've found it tough trying to narrow everything down!

Thanks again for all your help

#5 Posted: 15/6/2010 - 19:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.