Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

10 day cambodia itinary

• 45baht

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Now then, I have been travelling through SE Asia for the last 6 weeks and are onto our last 2 and a half.

As 'the plan' never goes smoothly we have ended up with around 10, maybe 13 days left to see what we can in Cambodia.

Spent far too long seeing what I missed out on in Viet nam last year...

We fly back to England on the 17th.

Any ideas on how to change or improve this plan? (First time in Cambodia) Again, because I spent too long in Viet Nam and Laos and had to miss Cambodia.

Phnom Penh
    Kep
    Kampot
    (Koh Konh) maybe
    Siem Reip
    then
    back to Bangkok so we dont miss the flight.
    it looks like we have 2 or 3 nights in each of these places, but have a few nights either side of that left to play with. Dont really want to spend the last 4/5 nights in BKK.
    Thanks
    Alex

#1 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 17:06

• Advertisement

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

The plan looks pretty good. as you do have enough time I suggest you also head to sihanoukville for a day or 2 to check it out.
    Once going to Siem Reap you'll have to go through Phnom Penh again but that's only about a 3h detour.
    Would definitely check out Siem Reap for everything it has to offer (temples, boat trip on the lake, sight seeing, ...).

As for Bangkok : you love it or you hate it. The more you go to Bangkok, the more you'll start loving it cause you'll experience other places every time. For me Bangkok is awesome (my opinion).

#2 Posted: 28/7/2010 - 18:49

• 45baht

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Its going to be my 7th time in Bangkok thus far and i do love the city. But i'd rather stay in places i haven't seen yet and get as much as i can out of the time i've got over here.
    but yeah, i think we are toying with the idea of either sihanoukville or koh kohn... I'm guessing sihanoukville is the easier option if i need to get straight back up to siem reip?
    Cheers

#3 Posted: 31/7/2010 - 12:23

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Your route involves a lot of time consuming backtracking. Presumably Siem Reap is a must see? Why not concentrate on the area north of Phomh Penh and skip the south of the country altogether this time?

#4 Posted: 31/7/2010 - 14:47

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It's pretty much the exact route that I did, and yes, there is a fair bit of backtracking. As far as I know, if you go to Kep/Kampot/S'ville, you will have to backtrack to PP to get to Siem Reap. You'll spend about 5-6 hours in a bus from S'Ville back to PP, then another 5-6 hours from PP to Siem Reap.

Not sure if you are overlanding or flying from SR to BKK - but the flight is quite expensive comparatively. Some people prefer to bus from SR back to PP, then fly from PP to BKK on a cheaper Air Asia flight. Again, a hell of a lot of backtracking.

I am assuming you are coming in to Cambodia from HCMC? If so, are you planning on flying to PP, or are you coming overland/water via the Mekong? If flying, it might make more sense to fly into SR, then travel to PP-Kep-Kampot-S'ville, then back to PP for a flight to BKK. Just a thought.... If overlanding from HCMC, you are going to be stuck with lots of backtracking.

#5 Posted: 31/7/2010 - 16:38

• 45baht

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Well, i was hafway through my reply and the computer just kicked me off so this ones going to be a bit shorter as i've a bus to catch.

Aye yeah, going overland all of the way, but was trying to see if there was a more southernly border crossing from Viet Nam to Cambodia... I can either go from HCMC or phuu quoc island to cambodia; whichever is easier really.

was planning to maybe cut through PP on the way to the south and then stay there a night or two on the way back up to SR which would give my backpacking a semblance of being worth it.

And yeah, I'm going to get the bus from SR to BKK.. its only around 16 hours if i'm right isnt it?

Also... on another subject, if i end up in BKK with maybe 4 nights there before my flight somehow. Would you recommend either hua hin or Kanchanaburi for a night to break up the long stay in BKK.
    Cheers.

#6 Posted: 1/8/2010 - 11:53

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Why don't you just spend a few more days in Cambodia? 2 or 3 nights in Siem Reap isn't going to be enough to see all the temples anyway.

If you really prefer rushing through Cambodia and getting back to BKK with 4 days to spare then I think I'd opt for Kanchanaburi rather than Hua Hin but it depends what you want to do. They don't have the same attractions. Getting to either will involve yet another bus journey.

#7 Posted: 1/8/2010 - 15:23

• 45baht

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

We managed to save a few days by travelling from Mui Ne to Phu Quoc quickly and going directly from PHu Quoc to Kep, so that has relaxed travel a fair ammount. So yeah, I think we are going to spend more time in Cambodia and only come back to Thailand with 2 or 3 nights in Bangkok. I might take a day up to Kanchanaburi rather than Hua Hin, due to the fact that I have already seen enough beaches through Vietnam and the coast of Cambodia.
    Cheers

#8 Posted: 7/8/2010 - 14:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cambodia Itinary With Baby ... By NancyNoo on 23 Nov 2009 1 3069 24 Nov 2009
Itinary/advice for cambodia ... By lonetraveldiver on 9 Nov 2010 3 2734 11 Nov 2010