Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Sihanoukville beach closures

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

They have finally knocked down the businesses on Otres beach.

'So now by our reckoning seventy five percent of all the
    beachfront in Snooky is either fenced off and closed to the public
    or is basically a building site!'

taken from Bayon Pearnik online magazine, August 2010.

Interesting fact if you are thinking of a beach break in Sihanoukville,Cambodia.
    There is some beach left but for how long, who knows.

#1 Posted: 5/8/2010 - 23:24

• Advertisement

• gamondeluxe

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

How about other beaches? Are they going to be closed also?

#2 Posted: 11/8/2010 - 09:49

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

There are beaches near Victory hill and there is still Ocheateal beach but they are very ordinary.The pristine beaches with little shacks selling drinks and food are gradually being fenced off and the shacks knocked down.
    Sure, you could easily get onto these beaches but you will need to bring your own water, beer, food, hammock etc if you want to use the beach.

#3 Posted: 11/8/2010 - 14:21

• nasmej11

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2009

too bad...it's part of my itinerary for next year...where do i go now?

#4 Posted: 14/8/2010 - 07:25

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Most of Ocheateal is open for business but the other beaches e.g Independence and Otres no longer have any facilities though they are both gorgeous beaches.Depends what you want.Ocheateal is more of a party beach with places staying open late,unfortunately the beach is pretty much spoilt by the lack of proper sewers,garbage collection and the hordes of Khmer daytrippers who come down from PP over the weekend and think it's beneath them to clear their own garbage.If you like the peaceful life I really don't know where you can go in Sihanoukville unless you head for the many islands nearby which still have good beaches.You can easily get a boat from Ocheateal to these.

#5 Posted: 14/8/2010 - 15:38

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Most of Ocheateal is open for business but the other beaches e.g Independence and Otres no longer have any facilities though they are both gorgeous beaches.Depends what you want.Ocheateal is more of a party beach with places staying open late,unfortunately the beach is pretty much spoilt by the lack of proper sewers,garbage collection and the hordes of Khmer daytrippers who come down from PP over the weekend and think it's beneath them to clear their own garbage.If you like the peaceful life I really don't know where you can go in Sihanoukville unless you head for the many islands nearby which still have good beaches.You can easily get a boat from Ocheateal to these.

#6 Posted: 14/8/2010 - 15:39

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

#7 Posted: 14/8/2010 - 15:40

• Brendagoeth-
    enberg

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2010

Dear friends, it's not exact that all the business in Otres Beach has been closed. I'm spending my holiday in Sihanoukville right now and I can assure you that just half of that business has been raised. In the first part of the beach in fact all the business are still there and they are working every day. The second half of the beach is in my opinion even more beautiful because all the ugly building have been raised and there is just white sand and blue sea.
    About the islands around Sihanoukville I think are really amazing but also boring, I spent one day there with my boyfriend and we had good time but the day after we felt the need to come back to the mainland.
    In Sihanoukville however i found a lot of nice beaches like Sokha Beach, Indipendent Beach and Victory Beach. On contrary I didn't like at all Serendipity beach; I found that place too much commercial and turistic.

#8 Posted: 5/9/2010 - 18:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.