Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cambodian visa on arrival in US Cash?

• mckayb

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2010
    Location Canada

Posted from within Vietnam.

I was in Hanoi and tried to withdraw US cash from ANZ bank but they told me they only dispense VND. I used up all my US cash already in Laos and Vietnam...Now I know you pay for your Cambodian visa in US cash. Is there a bank in HCMC that dispenses US cash? If not would I be able to pay in VND? If that is not the case either what do ppl recommed I do? I cannot get the E Visa as they dont accept that at the border crossing...

Cheers
    Ben

#1 Posted: 9/8/2010 - 13:14

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

You can not pay for visa in VND. And I haven't heard of any bank that dispenses dollars to foreigners with foreign account.

Only way for you is to withdraw a small VND amount from an ATM and then change VND to dollars at a money exchanger or bank. Rate is bad but just change what you need and the damage will be limited.
    Other option would be to change VND at the border with the touts (if you take the overland bus along major routes (HCMC-PP) but needless to say these guys are sharks. Better to change at banks.

Once you've arrived in Cambodia there will be plenty of ATMs dispensing dollars. Alas not before you reach customs at the airport (or any other border crossing).

#2 Posted: 9/8/2010 - 14:07

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

or just arrange your visa for Cambodia before you get to the border, this way you can still pay in VND.

#3 Posted: 9/8/2010 - 16:37

• mckayb

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2010
    Location Canada

aww cheers I will definitely get it done in HCMC

#4 Posted: 9/8/2010 - 23:50

• mckayb

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2010
    Location Canada

o yaa and I recommend making the Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh trip by motorbike..By far highlight of my 3 month trip in SE Asia! In NhaTrang right now its sick here.

#5 Posted: 9/8/2010 - 23:52

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it! Nha Trang is indeed sick. lived there for 1,5 month last year. Big ass party town and some good local beaches if you can find them :). (tip: check out the food at Guava bar: especially the grilled cheese sandwich, it's awesome).

#6 Posted: 10/8/2010 - 14:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Lao visa on arrival now available at the Cambodian/Lao border ... By somtam2000 on 1 Mar 2010 0 2777 1 Mar 2010
Cambodian e-Visa/ On Arrival Visa ... By natwest on 9 Mar 2008 28 40621 2 Mar 2010