Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Cambodian visa on arrival in US Cash?

Posted by mckayb on 9/8/2010 at 13:14

Posted from within Vietnam.

I was in Hanoi and tried to withdraw US cash from ANZ bank but they told me they only dispense VND. I used up all my US cash already in Laos and Vietnam...Now I know you pay for your Cambodian visa in US cash. Is there a bank in HCMC that dispenses US cash? If not would I be able to pay in VND? If that is not the case either what do ppl recommed I do? I cannot get the E Visa as they dont accept that at the border crossing...

Cheers
Ben

#1 mckayb has been a member since 4/2/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 23

Posted by eastwest on 9/8/2010 at 14:07

You can not pay for visa in VND. And I haven't heard of any bank that dispenses dollars to foreigners with foreign account.

Only way for you is to withdraw a small VND amount from an ATM and then change VND to dollars at a money exchanger or bank. Rate is bad but just change what you need and the damage will be limited.
Other option would be to change VND at the border with the touts (if you take the overland bus along major routes (HCMC-PP) but needless to say these guys are sharks. Better to change at banks.

Once you've arrived in Cambodia there will be plenty of ATMs dispensing dollars. Alas not before you reach customs at the airport (or any other border crossing).

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by svendj on 9/8/2010 at 16:37

or just arrange your visa for Cambodia before you get to the border, this way you can still pay in VND.

#3 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Posted by mckayb on 9/8/2010 at 23:50

aww cheers I will definitely get it done in HCMC

#4 mckayb has been a member since 4/2/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 23

Posted by mckayb on 9/8/2010 at 23:52

o yaa and I recommend making the Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh trip by motorbike..By far highlight of my 3 month trip in SE Asia! In NhaTrang right now its sick here.

#5 mckayb has been a member since 4/2/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 23

Posted by svendj on 10/8/2010 at 14:01

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it! Nha Trang is indeed sick. lived there for 1,5 month last year. Big ass party town and some good local beaches if you can find them :). (tip: check out the food at Guava bar: especially the grilled cheese sandwich, it's awesome).

#6 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.