Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Two weeks in cambodia from south laos , need help

Posted by itayze on 14/8/2010 at 00:05

Hi guys , somehow I got extra two weeks in my trip (orignally two month in thialand-laos) , I though about going from south laos in cambodia and then to retuen to bangkok (or the islands but I don't if I can ) .
I'm in thailand right now and could really help some suggestion for a general plan for two weeks starting from Laos isands into cambodia or guidelines for that trip .

Itay.

#1 itayze has been a member since 2/8/2010. Posts: 14

Posted by mikethediver on 16/8/2010 at 16:11

hi itayze,
A guess you are in 4,000 islands.

Easy trip to Cambodia, with the well trodden route to Siam Reap ( Angkor Wat and all that), maybe Battenbang, then to Phomn Penn & Sihanoukville .

There is a bus all the way from 4,000 islands to Siam Reap, but it's a long trip & you will arrive very late in SR with all the resulting problems & potential rip offs. I'd recommend a night stop in Kratie, (where you can see the dolphins, if you've not already done so) and an early bus to SR (5$ departs 7:30).

Some days in SR looking at the Angkor then Phomn Penn for a few days, drop down to Sihanoukville and then bus to Bangkok. QED.
mike

#2 mikethediver has been a member since 23/3/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 206
 Website 

Posted by itayze on 16/8/2010 at 17:09

I'm actually in the beginning of the trip , spending some times in chain mai . after that pai - chaing mai - chaing rai 3-4 weeks in laos and then two weeks in Cambodia .
You gave me some general and important direction ( especially about the night stop ) , I'll read some more and build my trip around that .
I've got the 2010 lonley planet so i'll be a bit more preaperd :) .

any tips , advice anything will be accepted kindly !

#3 itayze has been a member since 2/8/2010. Posts: 14

Posted by svendj on 16/8/2010 at 22:08

the way I did this was: from 4000 islands to Stung Treng Cambodia (really not that far), stayed the night, then took the bus to Phnom Penh (about 8 hours). Sihanoukville, back to Phnom Penh. Siem Reap and back to Phnom Penh. I went to Vietnam after that so it was a bit easier for me to do it this way, as you need to get back to Bangkok I'd suggest the solution from mikethediver.

Cambodia ain't that big so it's possible to just travel back and forth to some places without actually losing a lot of time.

PP->Sihanoukville: 3h by bus
PP->Siem Reap : 5h

#4 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Posted by Yol on 16/8/2010 at 22:24

Svendj, I´m not so sure about those trip times, it´s wet season. I´m heading myself to Laos in a few weeks time for 3 weeks, and i´m very interested in following into Cambodia.

#5 Yol has been a member since 22/6/2010. Posts: 9

Posted by svendj on 17/8/2010 at 15:33

ah well, could be that it's takes a little bit longer now, I did this in June (2009). It's exactly how the times where at that time for me. Could be about 1 to 2 hours longer now as you mentioned it's wet season.

#6 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.