Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

the bamboo train

• Beavis

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norry
    according to this source the bamboo train route should have extended from Battambang to the Thailand boarder. Can any1 confirm its completion for me please? hopefully there were no delays and corrupt interventions!

My friends and i would really like to ride this bamboo train to another country and then perhaps take a bus from the boarder further into thailand. thanks for your time ! safe travels.

#1 Posted: 21/8/2010 - 16:46

• Advertisement

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

It is my understanding that the bamboo train is no longer running.

#2 Posted: 21/8/2010 - 21:29

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I find this very hard to believe.

What I do know is that an australian company is currently rebuilding the railway tracks in Cambodia and a french company will operate trains on them in the near future (1-2 years).

Perhaps the bamboo train takes advantage of this for the moment but it won't be a sustainable thing.
    I can also not imagine that you would enjoy it if you had to be "pumped" all the way to Thailand. Unless you have some sort of odd colonial interests and like to watch locals sweat in the blazing sun for you. Even with a small generator onboard it wouldn't be that comfortable and very noisy.

#3 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 10:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"Unless you have some sort of odd colonial interests and like to watch locals sweat in the blazing sun for you."

If it's hot chicks sweating while dancing salsa with me, then it's cool. Otherwise... no.

#4 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 11:35

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Ok, you got me there. If that had been the case I also wouldn't be sitting here behind my computer but on that ride yes....

I guess one could also rent a cyclo and ask to be taken to Thailand. I wonder what the cyclo-driver will say.....

#5 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 16:32

• Sarah23

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2010
    Total reviews: 21

We were in Battambang in July and went for a ride on the bamboo train (operated a diesel engine so no sweaty operators). It's not really used for communting, just for a fun 20 minute tourist trip (and it really was heaps of fun) and transporting supplies between villages. We were told that from September it won't be running anymore for either purpose due to the new train tracks being laid. It is a bit of a shame as it was definitely unique.

#6 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 18:17

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

You are right and I was perhaps a bit too much joking about the whole thing.

I think the bamboo train is a great testament to the abillity of man (and in this case khmer) to adapt to circumstances.
    It should be preserved and hopefully they will built a short track so it can continue. It will then turn into a tourist attraction (which it somehow was already) but in some cases that can be positive. The alternative being that it completely disappears.

I don't think a journey from Battambang to the Thai border (150 km or so) is either comfortable or feasible (it's not designed for long distances). Nor do I think the operator has any interest in doing this. But I guess if offered enough money he would do it and good for him if can make some good money out of it in his last years.

#7 Posted: 22/8/2010 - 19:14

• KazAussie

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2009

Good grief ... no way you would want to do the bamboo train to the border, it is just a fun touristy thing to do for the hour or so it takes. That said if you are in Battambang do go for a ride.

Have a look at this video to see what the bamboo train is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDMqlgX_FuE&p=361FE43B5796F656&playnext=1&index=11

You disassemble and re-assemble the "train" every time something comes in the opposite direction.

#8 Posted: 24/8/2010 - 14:28

• Beavis

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2010

HAHAHa thanks for the responses guys ! a three hour or so uncomfortable ride to the boarder was somewhat what me and my pals were looking for ! if it did require pumping we woulda helped out as well and take shifts or something. I guess we'll just hope for the best when we get there, are there any other unique activities you guys could suggest to us in those areas (Vietnam, Cambo, Thai). Some "Must Dos" Much appreciated. =]

#9 Posted: 26/8/2010 - 10:59

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

It seems that you and your friends have peculiar interests for your holiday so this is a bit difficult.
    You would like to sweat, be uncomfortable and meet some locals? Let me think.....

- Break rocks in a stone quarry
    - Plant rice with some farmers
    - Go fishing on a local boat on the coast. Spearfishing in shallow water for prawns is also great. Give that a try.

If you want to move forward while sweating I can think of buying a Cyclo and then take turns. It's something I am actually seriously considering. Cyclos aren't that expensive to buy and there are lots of drivers who would like to sell (to buy a moto) since the government is making it harder for the cyclos to operate.

Other than that I can not be really helpful
    good luck!

#10 Posted: 27/8/2010 - 14:14

• Advertisement

• Beavis

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2010

The cyclo sounds a bit too romantic for us haha but the fishing on a local boat and SPEARfishing is definitely something we want to try! thanks !

#11 Posted: 28/8/2010 - 15:29

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

I had a 10 minute ride on it and that was more than enough for my poor bum and back. Certainly was a tourist trap: 5 dollars as I was the only one around and my cycle guy was so sure that I must want to do it!

#12 Posted: 31/8/2010 - 17:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The "Cyclos" will be back in vogue as the price of oil climbs. The higher it climbs, the more they will be in vogue.

#13 Posted: 1/9/2010 - 10:12

• Wozzer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2010

Lots of rumors about the demise of the Bamboo Train abound!

As of last weekend (end Oct 2010) it was alive and well. Should be operating for maybe another year or so.

Here's a wordpress article and video I created that explains more...

Happy travels!

#14 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 13:04

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

on a related note

Recently freight trains have started riding between Kampot and Phnom Penh. As for now it's only freight trains (mostly cement cargo) and they will extend towards Sihanoukville in the near future.
    They started with a (literal) bang: on the first test run a truck smashed into the test train at a crossing and derailed the train.
    Passenger trains are in the pipeline for this route which will be a great train ride through beautiful scenery. My guess is that the passenger trains will take a few more years since stations haven't been rebuilt yet but it's something to look forward to

Battambang route is also planned for but that will probably take much longer so the bamboo train will probably be around for a few years.

#15 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 19:32

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Great little video, Wozzer. We're headed that way in January and are glad to hear the bamboo train is still around. "One more year" ... give or take a year or two. :)

#16 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 20:40

• kiaraangus

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2010

as posted in Phnom Pehn Post OCT 22nd

The first line of the railway from Phnom Pehn to Kampot was officially declared open at a ceremony held this morning, three weeks after freight services commenced to and from the costal province.

Toll Global Logistics CEO Wayne Hunt said that though freight remained the first priority of the company, a spirit of agreement had been forged between his company and the government as the two parties worked toward resuming passenger service.

“It will happen, it’s just a matter of time,” he said, but cautioned that the service would have to be demand-driven.

A steady increase in tourists would likely contribute to demand for the passenger service, he said.

- from this i gather we could be riding in a few months. Ill be in the area next week so ill try and sus it out, see if i cant score a few KM.

#17 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 05:54

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I am in Battambang now and have talked to two different tourist police officers, several locals and tuk-tuk drivers. According to them, it will close forever by the end of the year.

It's an Australian company that is developing the railway. I doubt they are going to sit on their investment and delay it for any longer. I understand that this is Cambodia, things usually don't go exactly as planned but this is foreign investment.

If anyone has heard differently (from a reliable source) please let me know via this thread.

#18 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 12:28

• kiaraangus

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2010

mattocmd- are they referring to the PP- Kampot (newly re-tracked) line; or the (dying for years) PP to Battambang line? And are you saying that PP post is unreliable? or myself?
    or replying to OP- and talking about the bamboo train :that would make sense as real trains will be running again (eventually) on this section of track.

#19 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 15:28

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I'm not saying you or anyone is unreliable.

What myself and the tourism police are referring to are the nories (mini trains a main attraction in Battambang). Hmm maybe I was confused and thought the OP was talking about that.

#20 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 15:46

• kiaraangus

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2010

yeah you were right. most likely on both. OP was talking about smaller trains and they will go as the big ones will soon be back. i wonder if they will use the old ones: from what i hear they are the old QLD freights from AUS and were covered in old graffiti- id love to know if this is correct.

#21 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 16:23

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

matt,

A close friend of mine works at the australian embassy, which is closely involved since they cough up most of the money for the project, and this is my (and hers) take on it.

First of all the article is mainly about the PP-Kampot line although I haven't read the article myself I must admit.

There is certainly a concrete plan to develop the PP-Battambang line but no timeschedule has been set for that, yet. As far as I know.
    I don't know whether Kiara's last remark (about a few more months for passenger trains for PP-Kampot) was sarcastic but that certainly is not the case. It's a plan/intention but nothing more than that.

Regarding PP-Battambang route. The australian company is working fast once they start on the project. Once they've decided that they will start they will quickly take away the old tracks which would be the end of the nories. When the new tracks are put in place they probably won't allow any nories on it anymore and as happened on the PP-Kampot line, quickly the bigger trains will take possesion of the tracks.
    Perhaps the original plan that was submitted mentioned such a timeline if they had to mention timelines for the project so those stories could be based on (partial) truth.

Last comment about old graffiti trains is not correct. I've seen the freight trains several times with my own eyes: bright yellow and from the outside they look very decent.

#22 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 16:44

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up.

With or without nories, BB is still a great destination!

#23 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 17:01

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Does BB have any construction material that you know off?
    It is/was the leading reason for the PP-Kampot line. The Kampot/Kep region has a few big cement factories and the whole idea was to develop the train line for more efficient transport and avoid wear and tear on the cambodian roads.

From what I've been told the extension to Sihanoukville is first to be done and then the BB area. And it's not a purely commercial thing. A lot of australian development money from which some australian companies will benefit without a doubt.

Furthermore I think the australian mining companies may have a lot of influence. From what I've read exploration mining seems to have produced good results and extraction should be starting in a few years.

So, if you have a mine or cement factory nearby the BB line will be inevitable.

#24 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 17:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Battambang's bamboo train on the BBC ... By somtam2000 on 25 Jul 2006 0 1579 25 Jul 2006
Norry / Bamboo Train / Battambang and around ... By chaos23 on 2 Nov 2011 0 1983 2 Nov 2011