Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia & Singapore

• AniaKrysia

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2010
    Location United States

I'm planning a trip beginning November to end of December (2 months) to travel through the above countries. I have been looking for the least expensive country to fly into from LA and so far, Bangkok seems to be least expensive. Can anyone recommend, the easiest and least expensive to get from one country to another? What what would be the best order? I originally thought to fly in to Cambodia, then travel to Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore and back to fly out, but Cambodia is more expensive to fly into. Any recommendation who to plan these four countries? I think, we will spend 3 weeks in Thailand, 2 in Cambodia, 2 in Malaysia, and rest in Singapore or maybe just 4-5 days in Singapore then return to rest for couple of days in Thailand.

#1 Posted: 11/9/2010 - 14:42

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Hi,

I think you're right about the cheapest flight into BKK. It usually is the main hub for this region.

Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore sounds like a sensible route. Especially if you travel overland. Getting into Cambodia shouldn't be so expensive. The (connecting) flights with Bankok Airways to Siem Reap are expensive though (roughly $250 or so).

Your alternatives are Air Asia (or another budget airline) but while they are cheap they tend to give some hassles sometimes (read posts here). You could try to get a last minute ticket or go overland which isn't that bad.

Some people take a train through NE Thailand. Buses cover the distance between BKK and Siem Reap as well and even a private taxi is affordable and possible.
    Probably best to aim to enter Cambodia via Poipet and on to Siem Reap. Then from Siem Reap head south to the coast and follow the coast back into Thailand. A pleasant route with plenty of opportunities for nice breaks along the coast in both Cambodia and Thailand.

From BKK it's all the way down then.

Hope this helps

#2 Posted: 12/9/2010 - 13:41

• AniaKrysia

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2010
    Location United States

Thank you for your response. I found airfare to Cambodia for just $25 more, which may be worthwhile paying considering I won't have to backtrack into Thailand, as I think it might take too much of our time to get to Malaysia by land from Cambodia. However, I'm looking at options to getting back to Cambodia from Singapore, it seems the only way to get back would be by plane? At the same, time I see I can purchase an airfare arriving in Cambodia and returning home from Singapore for just under $200, which seems maybe to be the best option. Any thoughts?

I fount a website that states the train in Cambodia in not running anymore so I guess we would travel by bus or any other option available by land.

Any recommendations as far as which places to stay? Thank you. Ania

#3 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 09:52

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Ah, now I understand. If it's only $25 more to start in Cambodia it sounds good. That explains the flying back to Cambodia. From Singapore there are several budget airlines that fly to Cambodia for cheap prices but it's best to check while on the road.

Early bookers for very cheap flights might be bumped or flights cancelled if they haven't sold enough tickets. There are no alternatives for flying Singapore to Cambodia. Boats are out of the question and overland you've done on the way down.

I would definitely take the fly into Cambodia - fly outof Singapore option if that's available for $200. Even if you find a very cheap flight, you still have to consider extra transfers, extra airport (departure) tax and then it won't make much difference budget wise and it is a lot easier.

Trains are definitely NOT running in Cambodia. Buses are a good way to get around if you travel between the main towns.

Places to stay? Can you be more specific? Are you referring to countries, regions, towns or guesthouses?

#4 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 14:13

• AniaKrysia

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2010
    Location United States

So much planning comes into a trip like this. :-)

After much planning I bought a ticket into Bangkok and will return from Bangkok. But I will start by traveling north by train. So far, I plan on the following stops: Ayutthaya (2 days/1 night), Lopburi (1 day), Sukhotai take bus from Phitsanulok (will stay 1 night/1 day), Chaing Mai and Chiang Rai- have not yet decided how many days to spend in each.

Ideally, I'd like to come down from the Northeastern region all the way to Cambodia, but I noticed that the train doesn't go to the Northeast region? What is the best way to go to Cambodia from North to Northeast and what places would be worth seeing? (I guess I'll just read on) :-)

#5 Posted: 15/10/2010 - 06:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore and Laos in a month ... By blackskin on 26 Aug 2008 2 6562 2 Sep 2008
April 28-May 13 Traveling to thailand, CAmbodia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore - 27m from Canada ... By abet_rocks on 4 Apr 2012 10 1461 28 Feb 2013
Itinerary Advice - Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam ... By jella82 on 3 Jul 2007 3 9676 10 Mar 2011
32 yo m from singapore travelling China-Laos-Vietnam-Cambodia-Myanmar-Thailand-Malaysia ... By charltonsz on 26 Dec 2010 3 2419 26 Dec 2010
Thailand > Malaysia > singapore ... By daniellegee on 20 Oct 2012 3 1465 2 Dec 2012
Getting Around - Thailand to KL, Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia ... By csawala on 22 Sep 2011 0 3066 22 Sep 2011
Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand in June ... By eline on 12 Apr 2010 20 3223 9 Jun 2010
HELP!!thailand,malaysia and singapore 35 days ... By matimulinaris on 1 Aug 2009 43 6418 7 Sep 2009
THAILAND-MALAYSIA-SINGAPORE Itinerary ... By izza27 on 13 May 2011 4 8037 18 May 2011
23 yrs old Singaporean guy. Singapore - Malaysia - Thailand ... By RECON on 5 Jun 2011 1 2158 11 Oct 2011