Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Ban Lung to Sen Monorom ?

Posted by ianintheworld on 17/9/2010 at 22:04

I will be in Ban Lung in a few days. I would like to round of my western tour of Cambo by visiting Sen Monorom. I suspect that the road between the two is bad, but does anyone have any recent info on travel between these two towns? Many thanks.

#1 ianintheworld has been a member since 26/7/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 12
 Where has ianintheworld been? 

Posted by gregmccann1 on 19/9/2010 at 19:42

I did it back in January and I didn't think it was nearly as bad as the hype made it out to be. Yes there are some sandy pits. Jump off the back of the bike (I'm assuming you're hiring a driver and not doing it yourself), and jog alongside while he gets through the tough spots. We arrived in Senmonorom in 6 hours or maybe 6.5. Saw a flock of about 75 green parrots, some owls, 2 Giant squirrels, hawks, and, best of all, 2 highly endangered Bengal floricans (birds). Only thing I didn't like about the ride was the fires. Lots of fires.

#2 gregmccann1 has been a member since 28/10/2009. Location: Taiwan. Posts: 183
 Website 

Posted by eastwest on 19/9/2010 at 20:45

I just checked with a friend of mine who lives in that area.
Luckily for you the rains have not been as bad as normal for this time of the year. So the road is well passable but certainly worse than in January.

But I assume you never expected a 4 lane highway anyway.

#3 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by Nisseyaklom on 23/9/2010 at 15:35

There is no way you can go to Sen Monorom from Banlung this time of the year, unless you are in to carry the bike over chest deep rivers and kilometrs long rice fields with half meter mud. It's corrct that the rainy season hes been pretty mild so far this year but still,,, Not earlier than end of November.

FYI I live in Banlung

#4 Nisseyaklom has been a member since 2/12/2007. Posts: 40
 Website 

Posted by ianintheworld on 23/9/2010 at 21:38

Guys, thanks. I am in Stung Treng, and apparently, it is difficult or impossible to do what I wanted to do, no problem. There is always next time. Thanks for the info.

#5 ianintheworld has been a member since 26/7/2010. Location: Australia. Posts: 12
 Where has ianintheworld been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.