Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

angkor wat in a day??

• sharpie

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2010

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}hello again,
    We obviously are going to the Angkor Wat temples but we think 3 days is toomuch so is it possible to do the following in one day with a tuk tuk?
    Phnom Bakheng (sunrise) go to Bayon temple head to Banteay Srie come backto AngkorWat and Ta Prohm in the arvo? i know Banteay Srie is further away but ithink it's really worth while are there any other worth while temples to see?

thanks

#1 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 19:18

• Advertisement

• sharpie

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2010

i have no idea how i managed that last post i'll try again,
    We are obviously going to the angkor wat temples but we think 3 days is a bit too much so is it possible to do the following in one day with a tuk tuk?
    Phnom Bakheng (sunrise) head to bayon temple drive to Banteay Srie come back to Angkor Wat and Ta Prohm in the arvo? I know Banteay Srie is further away but i think it is really worth while, are there any other temples worth a look?

thanks

#2 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 19:28

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

Yes, that is a mightily impressive OP!

I 'd get the three day pass and then plan to stay for two with the option of a third day if you want it.

You'll have to get up at about 04:30 to be sure to get somewhere for sunrise and not after it has risen. Do you want to be extremely tired, hot and bothered and rushing around? Taking it a little more slowly and spending several hours really seeing three sites in a day worked great for me, but then, I love old ruins!

I wasn't actually that impressed with Banteay, it's very small and gets a lot of tourists. You'd be best visiting the Bayon in the afternoon as the light is much better and it looks far more impressive (especially if you are into photography). Ta Prohm is the one to head to first thing as it is very busy after 9am which distracts from the atmosphere a lot.

I spent three days on my first visit (boyfriend thought that sounded too much but then wished we had longer) and a week on my second, but I met plenty of people who had seen enough in two days.

#3 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 19:47

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan

Yes, that is a mightily impressive OP!

I 'd get the three day pass and then plan to stay for two with the option of a third day if you want it.

You'll have to get up at about 04:30 to be sure to get somewhere for sunrise and not after it has risen. Do you want to be extremely tired, hot and bothered and rushing around? Taking it a little more slowly and spending several hours really seeing three sites in a day worked great for me, but then, I love old ruins!

I wasn't actually that impressed with Banteay, it's very small and gets a lot of tourists. You'd be best visiting the Bayon in the afternoon as the light is much better and it looks far more impressive (especially if you are into photography). Ta Prohm is the one to head to first thing as it is very busy after 9am which distracts from the atmosphere a lot.

I spent three days on my first visit (boyfriend thought that sounded too much but then wished we had longer) and a week on my second, but I met plenty of people who had seen enough in two days.

#4 Posted: 21/9/2010 - 19:48

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey sharpie,

the short answer is yes, you can do it in one day. but why would you? angkor wat is on the very edge of the civilized world, and you'll work hard and spend time and money to get there. so why rush it?

if you do decide to go for just the day, you'll want to start early and stay late as big T suggests above. i'd also skip Banteay Srei, not because it isn't worth the effort, but because it is too much to try and squeeze into a single day.

i thought Tennouji's suggestion to buy the 3-day pass was a good one. if you wind up not using all 3 days, so what. maybe on the first day you can explore the main temple complex. i'd be surprised if you didn't discover that there is much more to see and do than you expected. then on the second day, you could pick up a few of the spots you missed on the first day and/or revisit the highlights, before heading off to Banteay Srei.

by the way, i thought Banteay Srei was somewhat ordinary, particularly since the site is small. but my wife absolutely loved it because of the color of the stone and the amazingly detailed relief sculpture. and even though the temple itself didn't impress me, i love the trip out there, through small villages and past rice fields.

hope that helps. cheers.

#5 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 00:36

• Voyagner

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

You could do that in one day, but you would be pretty rushed. Frankly 3 days isn't too long, if you really want to take in Angkor you need it.

#6 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 09:22

• rawjer

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 9

I think this decision boils down to how much you like examining ruins. I'm more interested in modern-day societies than past ones, so I was wavering on the same 1 or 3-day decision when I went to Angkor Wat a few months ago.

On one hand I will admit that the whole complex is magnificent, and perhaps the finest sight in all of Southeast Asia, but I'm glad I only did the 1-day pass. For one thing, it doesn't look like anyone above has mentioned that if you buy the one-day pass that you can enter at 5pm on the day before your main visit. So you can spend 90 minutes at the main temple at sunset, taking some great photos and getting used to things, and then go back for the entire following day as well.

For me, by the end of the main-visit day, the temples and scenery were all looking alike, even as interesting as they were. Also, there are a couple of main circuits that efficiently get you to all the better temples, and even the longer one of those can be done well in a day in a tuk-tuk or taxi, especially if you have seen the main Angkor Wat temple the day before.

#7 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 10:30

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I don't have much to add to what has been said before. It's all very personal.

Just remember that a 3 day pass costs the same as 2 1-day passes (if budget was any concern). I personally would do the 3-day pass for that reason since you never know whether you might really like it.
    But to go back to your question. It can be done in a day and as rawjer says you can enter the afternoon before and visit already 1 temple on your list.

#8 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 17:29

• sharpie

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2010

thank you so much for all your advice. I'm leaning towards a 3 day pass and that we can go if we feel like it, it really isnt that much more money. Also read some nice things about Beng Mealea and Kbal Spean temples, what are these costs of this temple is it included in the regular pass?
    thanks

#9 Posted: 22/9/2010 - 18:22

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Sharpie - there has been a discussion going on about Angkor Wat almost in parallel with this one, which will help answer your questions, include Ben Mealea and Kbal Spean.

Check it out: Angkor - What to Expect?

#10 Posted: 23/9/2010 - 03:49

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Just a few more remarks and tips from me regarding Beng Mealea & Kbal Spean

- If I remember correctly there is no extra fee for Ben Mealea. May be a small one but not $40 as some people suggested. Would be good to get latest feedback on that.
    - Kbal Spean and Phnom Kulen temple are located on one mountain and it's very worthwile to go there. Especially the change of scenery (beautiful landscapes of rural Cambodia and a refreshing waterfall) is worth it if you have a 3-day pass. Just remember it's far and perhaps best to combine with your trip to Banteay Srei since that temple is on route. This will take probably a full day but it's a nice change from dusty Siem Reap and the crowded temples.
    This visit does require you to pay $40 dollars and it's not just at the normal authority. Control over this temple is by police or military and therefor you need to pay entrance fee for Phnom Kulen at military office in Siem Reap. Your tuk tuk driver will know where it is but don't be afraid/shocked when he's parking in front of a police station.

#11 Posted: 23/9/2010 - 10:07

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

just came across last yr's tickets to Beng Mealea $5 dated 19 feb 2010 hope that clears that one up...

#12 Posted: 28/9/2010 - 05:30

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

I'd struggle to spend a full day from dusk til dawn. It's hot, dry, sweaty and dusty and at times there is nowhere to hide.
    We didn't last past mid day on any day that we went (but we were there at 5am). You can "see" all the big ones in that length of time. I'm not the type that has to walk over every inch of somewhere like this although I am facinated by it all... I can bore easily.

Go for it, but limit the number of stops you make. Hire a tuktuk, agree a price for the day and a route, a good driver will recommend a good route. Get up at 4am and get there for 4.30am. Get a good spot for the sunrise and take some great snaps. You'll be shocked at how many people make the effort to see the sunrise.

#13 Posted: 29/9/2010 - 23:22

• Okidokie

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

One day is not enough at Angkor Wat. The beauty of getting the three day pass is that you do not have to kill yourself getting around to see everything in one day. It gets damn hot out there in the sun and you will get tired and sweaty.

Why not take your time and split things up so you're fresh an enjoy the experience? Visit the main structure the first day and go back to the guesthouse for a swim when the sun gets to be too much. Come back the next day and see Angkor Thom or whatever else it is that floats your boat. The you have a third day if you want it.

You will not come across many other places on Planet Earth as mystical as the collection of temples at Angkor Wat. Do yourself a favor and let it simmer on you.

#14 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 06:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.