Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Guesthouse in Phnom Penh

• Deadpoets

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009

Hola!

Any recommendation on a nice guesthouse in Phnom Penh? Affordable and clean. Your thoughts...thanks!

Cheers...

#1 Posted: 23/9/2010 - 09:43

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

For budget options I'd recommend the street with Spring GH, Burly GH, Sky Park GH.
    A bit out of the way but easy access by moto to major areas ($0.50 for 1-way trip). Not yet a backpackers ghetto, friendly people and good value for money ($6 fan - $15 aircon range). However not the typical backpackers GHs with communal area where you can easily meet other travellers

Lake Area I DO NOT RECOMMEND. Some guidebooks still write positively (outdated) about this area. I never liked it but since they filled the lake it's completely hopeless with water drainage issues and rats. For a few dollars more you can have a decent room in far better areas.

Riverside area has best location but value for money is not that great there when it concerns rooms. Touristy and a great location but that's about all.

Boeung Keng Kang is a nice area as well. Caters mostly to expats with lots of restaurant and bars and some nice guesthouses/hotels.

Mid budget places are scattered all over the place. In general I think this is only worth it if you look at rooms over $40. $25-30 rooms are only slightly better than $15 rooms and not worth it (apart from location perhaps). Usually these rooms ($25-30)are in hotels that have a small restaurant, few more channels on TV and perhaps a small gym with 2 machines. Rooms look identical though.
    Let me know your interests (budget, area, style) and I can name a few names.

#2 Posted: 23/9/2010 - 11:31

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

I agree, visited (didn't stay) a guesthouse in the lake area and it feels too much underground... although a sunset by the lake could be nice... Don't know what's your budget and if you are alone or in a group but Jockey Hotel is a nice hotel, internet and breakfast included, about 8/9$ each person.

#3 Posted: 23/9/2010 - 21:24

• Deadpoets

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions! My budget is keeping within $15 or less a night. How's Boddhi Tree -- Umma?

Thanks!

#4 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 12:20

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Agree that the lake area is pretty grotty (as my boyfriend put it "it's full of drugs, prostitutes and rats, now if only I could do something about the rats"), as are most of the guesthouses there. However, we found a decent room in Great View Guesthouse - just off the lake at the top of the side road where Number 9 is - for $10 with a/c and there were a couple of decent but cheap restaurants along that street. But I didn't look at the other places people have recommended so can't compare.

#5 Posted: 24/9/2010 - 13:04

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Boddhi tree umma itself is fine (if not one of the best guesthouses).
    My main reason for not recommending it is it's location. It's directly opposite of Tuol Sleng museum which is a long way away from anything else. You'll spend much more money on transport while I don't find the direct surroundings that great (it's not bad or dangerous though). If you don't want to do much besides spending a night in a good guesthouse it's an excellent option.

#6 Posted: 27/9/2010 - 18:59

• prisonbreak

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Any updates about budget guesthouses for a single room with TV under 10 $ in Phnom penh that are clean and safe?

#7 Posted: 13/12/2013 - 20:41

• prisonbreak

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

nobody?

#8 Posted: 16/12/2013 - 19:53

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

If you want a TV etc for that price, you probably need to go for a Khmer run guesthouse rather than a backpackers. Try along Street 19 and Street 172, or around Central Market.

As an example, Yong Hout Guesthouse has changed management, but is still worth a look.

#9 Posted: 5/1/2014 - 00:52

• Brute

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2012

Sarris guesthouse in the riverfront area. This is possibly my favourite guesthouse in Asia. Last year I paid 15/room with ac. The rooms are nice and new. It's also owned by a great guy who is really helpful. The price included breakfast.

It's about a block off the busy areas of the riverfront so noise isn't an issue. The hotel is also super safe, they lock up at 11 but the guys brother stayed up manning the gate.

#10 Posted: 5/1/2014 - 06:22

• Advertisement

• prisonbreak

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

the rooms are 20 to 30$ now
    prices changed fast in Cambodia:(

#11 Posted: 5/1/2014 - 06:28

• TerroirTrav-
    el

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 25

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm pretty late to this party, but in case others are wamtomg to know....

We stayed at the pra-tna guesthouse last month, near the riverfront. Rooms were clean, bathrooms pretty tiny, but good air con for $15 per night, including cable TV, where you get about 5 English channels of the 60 or so available. I got all caught up I'm my law & order reruns :)

#12 Posted: 2/2/2014 - 01:39

• gregmccann1

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2009
    Location Taiwan
    Total reviews: 5

International Guest House on 136 near Norodom. They've upgraded it. $16 a night w/hot water and AC.

#13 Posted: 13/2/2014 - 01:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh's newest Guesthouse ... By mvhj on 2 Sep 2007 1 2375 16 Dec 2013
Warning - WinkingFrog guesthouse Phnom Penh ... By worldnomad on 3 Oct 2009 22 6337 11 Jan 2010
Guesthouse in Phnom Penh - Boddhi Tree Del Gusto ... By BaznChaz on 5 Dec 2007 3 2173 8 Dec 2007
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1176 2 Mar 2014