Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

my accomodation debate

• Lisstarr

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2006

I will be in Phnom Penh for 9 weeks from January to Mid March. I am going on my own and will be the only international intern at the place I will be working at. I am deciding between staying in an apartment on my own or staying in a hotel (either Golden Gate or Bodhi tree). Staying in a hotel for over two months seems like a bit much but I would also really like to be able to meet other travellers while I am there and am worried about feeling to isolated in an apt. So am not sure what to do. Anyone's thoughts? Hotel or apt?

Also, is air conditioning a must during the time I will be there?

#1 Posted: 25/11/2006 - 11:41

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd lean towards the Boddhi Tree over the Golden Gate just because it is a nicer space. Golden Gate though is closer to loads of cafes and restaurants. Boddhi Tree is a little isolated.

If you don't like one over the other you can always just switch -- lots and lots and lots of places to stay in Phnom Penh.

By mid march things will be getting pretty warm...

#2 Posted: 25/11/2006 - 18:20

• wolfman

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2006
    Total reviews: 4

hi
    i´d go for aircon-if it´s in your budget-it gets hot at the end of feb. if you are really into meeting other travellers, stay at the lake for a while. i reckon most of the guesthouses there will let you a decent room on along-time discount.

hth

#3 Posted: 26/11/2006 - 00:57

• TaniaJL

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2006
    Total reviews: 7

I've just come back from Phomn and it was getting very hot. The rooms at the Boddhi Tree without air-con are tiny and I can't imagine how you can sleep in them - the fan is a small one on the floor. They tend to overbook at the Boddhi Tree and then talk you into a small room (with shared bathroom) or take you to another place they have a deal with which is absolutlely horrendous. So my advice is go elsewhere - and get aircon.

#4 Posted: 27/11/2006 - 13:48

• TessaW

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2006

You could always stay at one of the guesthouses around the lake - they are really really cheap but pretty basic. Not all of them will have air con and I would probably recommend air con if you are not used to the heat. Number 9 and Number 10 guesthouse are really cheap and even if you don't stay there, hang around there or the nearby cafes and you will be sure to meet loads of other travellers. Another place to meet other travellers is if you head down to the beach at Sihanoukville for a weekend. Plenty of expats living in Phnom Penh too - try Elsewhere Bar.

#5 Posted: 28/11/2006 - 01:00

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

one good thing about the Golden Gate, especially for such a long stay, is that they offer free same-day laundry service, free lockers, and a decent free breakfast (made to order, not buffet). Lots of good bars and restaurants on and around St 278: My Lien (one of my favorote bars in PP--ice cold beer lao, good food, top notch Vietnamese coffee, very friendly staff), Zombie Birdhouse (another friendly bar with cold beer and great music on tap), Romdeng, Stasara, etc.

#6 Posted: 4/12/2006 - 22:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.