Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

my accomodation debate

Posted by Lisstarr on 25/11/2006 at 11:41

I will be in Phnom Penh for 9 weeks from January to Mid March. I am going on my own and will be the only international intern at the place I will be working at. I am deciding between staying in an apartment on my own or staying in a hotel (either Golden Gate or Bodhi tree). Staying in a hotel for over two months seems like a bit much but I would also really like to be able to meet other travellers while I am there and am worried about feeling to isolated in an apt. So am not sure what to do. Anyone's thoughts? Hotel or apt?

Also, is air conditioning a must during the time I will be there?

#1 Lisstarr has been a member since 17/11/2006. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 25/11/2006 at 18:20 admin

I'd lean towards the Boddhi Tree over the Golden Gate just because it is a nicer space. Golden Gate though is closer to loads of cafes and restaurants. Boddhi Tree is a little isolated.

If you don't like one over the other you can always just switch -- lots and lots and lots of places to stay in Phnom Penh.

By mid march things will be getting pretty warm...

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by wolfman on 26/11/2006 at 00:57

hi
i´d go for aircon-if it´s in your budget-it gets hot at the end of feb. if you are really into meeting other travellers, stay at the lake for a while. i reckon most of the guesthouses there will let you a decent room on along-time discount.

hth

#3 wolfman has been a member since 31/5/2006. Posts: 80

Posted by TaniaJL on 27/11/2006 at 13:48

I've just come back from Phomn and it was getting very hot. The rooms at the Boddhi Tree without air-con are tiny and I can't imagine how you can sleep in them - the fan is a small one on the floor. They tend to overbook at the Boddhi Tree and then talk you into a small room (with shared bathroom) or take you to another place they have a deal with which is absolutlely horrendous. So my advice is go elsewhere - and get aircon.

#4 TaniaJL has been a member since 5/9/2006. Posts: 2

Posted by TessaW on 28/11/2006 at 01:00

You could always stay at one of the guesthouses around the lake - they are really really cheap but pretty basic. Not all of them will have air con and I would probably recommend air con if you are not used to the heat. Number 9 and Number 10 guesthouse are really cheap and even if you don't stay there, hang around there or the nearby cafes and you will be sure to meet loads of other travellers. Another place to meet other travellers is if you head down to the beach at Sihanoukville for a weekend. Plenty of expats living in Phnom Penh too - try Elsewhere Bar.

#5 TessaW has been a member since 9/11/2006. Posts: 8

Posted by CunningMcFar on 4/12/2006 at 22:36

one good thing about the Golden Gate, especially for such a long stay, is that they offer free same-day laundry service, free lockers, and a decent free breakfast (made to order, not buffet). Lots of good bars and restaurants on and around St 278: My Lien (one of my favorote bars in PP--ice cold beer lao, good food, top notch Vietnamese coffee, very friendly staff), Zombie Birdhouse (another friendly bar with cold beer and great music on tap), Romdeng, Stasara, etc.

#6 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.