Unwanted US$s

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Hi

I have not been able to find a thread that mentioned a certain year of US dollars is not liked in Cambodia (I hope it was Cambodia!). Possibly it was 2003 US notes. I just got some US dollars and most of them are 2006 so I am hoping it ain't that year.

Anyone know?

#1 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 18:31

• Advertisement

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hi! I must say I never met someone checking the year of USD or any other currency notes... The only thing about notes that might be checked is if they're torn, it happens sometimes but not so many people check it (I mean the locals).

#2 Posted: 31/10/2010 - 22:19

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Those bills will be fine 5acre.

Just be careful when you get change in bigger bills. Bigger pre-2003 bills (20,50,100) are not widely accepted within Cambodia and sometimes you get your change in such bills. You can however change them easily in your home country.
    For smaller bills it is not an issue.

Torn bills can be an issue as Indoluso says.

If you want to make Cambodian friends you should bring some $2 bills. They are very rare in Cambodia (the banks don't issue them here) and you will make a Cambodian very happy since it brings good luck.

#3 Posted: 1/11/2010 - 08:51

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Brilliant! $2 bills are on my to do list! thanks.

#4 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 05:43

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

And if you do a border crossing to Laos, make sure you only have a 100 dollar bill with you and nothing else, had that problem coming from vietnam, no way to pay for my visa so just got it for free, put the 100 dollar bill back in my pocket and on to the bus to get the hell out of there :)

#5 Posted: 2/11/2010 - 17:31

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Crisp notes are key. It seems like folks here are looking for a reason not to take your dollars (huh?). No rips. Minimal creases.

'Sheeed

#6 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 11:18

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I like that story sven. Not sure if I will follow the advise though.

It sums up the very reason why I love this region (at least Cambodia and Laos). At least for now. They still have that abillity to be surprised by such things and then have the heart to wave you through. They're some of the most corrupt countries but these things always make me smile.

#7 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 19:53

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

haha indeed, I'm not gonna try to do that again as well but sometimes it just happens.

corruption vs a good heart works fine for me. The people will still be nice in the end.
    on topic: if you do need dollars, just take em from the atm in Cambodia (if you are with a good bank that doesn't charge you transfer fees!). Just got a new bankcard applied for at about 40 € a year which doesn't charges me any fees any more wherever I am in the world. Time to spend some money next year.

#8 Posted: 4/11/2010 - 20:16

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Beware though. Just 'cause there's an ATM doesn't mean you can get money from it. Here in ratanakiri there is an ATM. It takes Visa. Mastercard no go. Other international stuff no go. I meet lots of tourists here who have to improvise ways to get money because they expected the ATM to help them...

'sheeed

#9 Posted: 5/11/2010 - 07:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.