Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Unwanted US$s

Posted by 5acrefarmer on 31/10/2010 at 18:31

Hi

I have not been able to find a thread that mentioned a certain year of US dollars is not liked in Cambodia (I hope it was Cambodia!). Possibly it was 2003 US notes. I just got some US dollars and most of them are 2006 so I am hoping it ain't that year.

Anyone know?

#1 5acrefarmer has been a member since 10/6/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 61
 Website 

Posted by Indoluso on 31/10/2010 at 22:19

Hi! I must say I never met someone checking the year of USD or any other currency notes... The only thing about notes that might be checked is if they're torn, it happens sometimes but not so many people check it (I mean the locals).

#2 Indoluso has been a member since 22/12/2009. Posts: 133

Posted by eastwest on 1/11/2010 at 08:51

Those bills will be fine 5acre.

Just be careful when you get change in bigger bills. Bigger pre-2003 bills (20,50,100) are not widely accepted within Cambodia and sometimes you get your change in such bills. You can however change them easily in your home country.
For smaller bills it is not an issue.

Torn bills can be an issue as Indoluso says.

If you want to make Cambodian friends you should bring some $2 bills. They are very rare in Cambodia (the banks don't issue them here) and you will make a Cambodian very happy since it brings good luck.

#3 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by 5acrefarmer on 2/11/2010 at 05:43

Brilliant! $2 bills are on my to do list! thanks.

#4 5acrefarmer has been a member since 10/6/2009. Location: Australia. Posts: 61
 Website 

Posted by svendj on 2/11/2010 at 17:31

And if you do a border crossing to Laos, make sure you only have a 100 dollar bill with you and nothing else, had that problem coming from vietnam, no way to pay for my visa so just got it for free, put the 100 dollar bill back in my pocket and on to the bus to get the hell out of there :)

#5 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Posted by Rasheeed on 4/11/2010 at 11:18

Crisp notes are key. It seems like folks here are looking for a reason not to take your dollars (huh?). No rips. Minimal creases.

'Sheeed

#6 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by eastwest on 4/11/2010 at 19:53

I like that story sven. Not sure if I will follow the advise though.

It sums up the very reason why I love this region (at least Cambodia and Laos). At least for now. They still have that abillity to be surprised by such things and then have the heart to wave you through. They're some of the most corrupt countries but these things always make me smile.

#7 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by svendj on 4/11/2010 at 20:16

haha indeed, I'm not gonna try to do that again as well but sometimes it just happens.

corruption vs a good heart works fine for me. The people will still be nice in the end.
on topic: if you do need dollars, just take em from the atm in Cambodia (if you are with a good bank that doesn't charge you transfer fees!). Just got a new bankcard applied for at about 40 € a year which doesn't charges me any fees any more wherever I am in the world. Time to spend some money next year.

#8 svendj has been a member since 30/4/2010. Location: Belgium. Posts: 196
 Where has svendj been? 

Posted by Rasheeed on 5/11/2010 at 07:05

Beware though. Just 'cause there's an ATM doesn't mean you can get money from it. Here in ratanakiri there is an ATM. It takes Visa. Mastercard no go. Other international stuff no go. I meet lots of tourists here who have to improvise ways to get money because they expected the ATM to help them...

'sheeed

#9 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.