Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Itinerary help - Battambang? Please :-)

• Hemsi

Joined Travelfish
    6th March, 2010
    Total reviews: 5

Hey guys,

so here we go again - any help on our 3 weeks itineray (Southern Vietnam + Cambodia) is appreciated (Phu Quoc is fixed, we really need time to relax at the beach!):

25.12. FRA -> SGN
    26.12. Arrive SGN (since we've been to SGN in May already - maybe only 1 day?)
    27.12. SGN
    28.12. SGN -> boat trip to Mekong Delta to Phnom Penh
    29.12. Mekong Delta
    30.12. Mekong Delta -> Phnom Penh
    31.12. Phnom Penh
    01.01. Phnom Penh
    02.01. Phnom Penh -> Battambang (bus)
    03.01. Battambang (1 day enough? )
    04.01. Battambang -> Siem Reap (bus or boat?)
    05.01. Siem Reap, Angkor
    06.01. Siem Reap, Angkor
    07.01 Siem Reap, Angkor
    08.01. Siem Reap, maybe visiting our sponsored child's family in Angkor Thom - need to get permission
    09.01. Siem Reap -> SGN -> Phu Quoc (fly)
    10.01. Phu Quoc
    11.01. Phu Quoc
    12.01. Phu Quoc
    13.01. Phu Quoc
    14.01. Phu Quoc
    15.01. Phu Quoc
    16.01. leave Phu Quoc-> SGN -> FRA
    17.01. arrive FRA

Any thoughts on the Cambodian part of our plans? Is Battambang worth it for 2 nights/1day? Any ideas instead? Or should we stay full week at SR?

Thanks very much in advance for your comments!

Hemsi

#1 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 04:04

• Advertisement

• Wozzer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2010

Hi Hemsi

I just replied to another post about Battambang. That was from SR to BB to PP - so just reverse the itinerary! Well worth it (IMHO) :-)

#2 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 11:34

• elscapist

Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2010

Battambang is definitely worth the visit! Recently visited Cambodia for a week, and we enjoyed our 1.5 days in Battambang the most! Siem Reap a close second. Battambang people are really warm and friendly and if you get a good guide, who brings you around to experience the village life, it can be really fulfilling :)

Can check out my photos here if you're interested.

#3 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 22:36

• Hemsi

Joined Travelfish
    6th March, 2010
    Total reviews: 5

... ahh, I didn't realise that there was a similar post to mine - sorry for that. But anyway thanks for your comments.

@ Wozzer, your itinerary suggestions sound really good - definitely going to print that out and take it with me.

@ elscapist, I like your pics!

Any other comments or suggestions? I'm still also looking for alternatives - maybe day trips from PP or ...?

Thanks and Happy Travels :-)

#4 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 04:09

• Okidokie

Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010

Battambang was nice. It's certainly more "authentic" Cambodia than Siem Reap because it's not as much of a tourist destination. This means that you will find less activities that cater to tourists, but still plenty to do for a day or two.

The bamboo train is certainly something you must try while in Battambang. It will be gone soon so take advantage while you can. On the way, ask the tuk-tuk driver if he can take you to get some bamboo sticky rice. It's a local favorite and you can watch how it is prepared. It was one of the tastiest snacks I have had in a long while. I wish I could have taken some home with me.

We also visited a place just outside town where they make rice paper for spring rolls from sun-up to sun-down. Then we went to the part of town where they ferment the fish for the fish paste that is common in so many Cambodian dishes. It was quite interesting.

Finally, you can always take one of the cooking courses at "The Smoking Pot" restaurant. Just be careful of the happy chicken soup dish. It is much more potent than any of the happy pizza offerings. One bowl of the soup crept up on me throughout the day and knocked me on my arse by nightfall.

Overall, Battambang was fun. I wouldn't put it on the same level as Siem Reap, but definitely worth a visit.

#5 Posted: 9/11/2010 - 06:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.