Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cab from Siem Reap airport into town

• StreetSpiri-
    t13

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2010

This is a cautionary tale and request for advice: please tell me what I should have done to avoid this awkward situation...

I flew into Siem Reap today and got a taxi into town. I had gotten my ticket for the taxi at the counter in front of the airport ($7), and told the driver where I was going. He said he knew where it was and how to get there. On the way, he started telling me about all these "family owned guesthouses" I could stay at, and how cheap they were. I kindly told him no, that I preferred to stay where I had researched (Ivy II). He told me it no longer had guesthouses, and kept trying to get me to get out at these other places where I assume he gets a commission for bringing guests. He also avoided telling me what streets we were on, and refused to point out on the map I had where we were. I finally forced him to take me to my originally requested destination (they are open and had rooms) but I was irritated and definitely a little rattled.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

#1 Posted: 13/11/2010 - 18:59

• Advertisement

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Unfortunatly it can happen anywhere in the world, people sometimes don't understand when things are told in a nice, most respectfull manner...

#2 Posted: 14/11/2010 - 17:21

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Welcome to SEA.. sigh! It's unfortunate that this happened, but dare I say it, get used to it. That's not to say ALL drivers are like that, but you will come across them.

My general strategy when arriving in a new place is to know where I want to stay, as you did. I use the TF guides to get a shortlist of ideal sounding places and tell the driver the name/address of my preferred choice. If I think about it ahead of time, I write it out on a piece of paper rather than show the guide. If the driver starts to suggest alternatives, I just tell them I already have a booking (whether I do or not). That usually puts an immediate end to those sort of discussion.

Depending on what kind of mood I when I finally arrived, I might be tempted (in your situation) to tell the driver that I need to get some change from the guesthouse and ask him to come in with me. I would then explain to the guesthouse people the sort of stunt that the driver pulled and then watch the driver get a good ticking off for trying to divert potential customers away from their business. That might give me some token amount of satisfaction.

What else could you have done? If you are in a place that is reasonably busy and you can see that there is plenty of alternative transport, I would ask the driver to just pull over and get out.

#3 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 02:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Siem Reap Airport ... By Peeter on 20 Mar 2011 1 2907 20 Mar 2011
siem reap to bangkok airport ... By barkelleher on 3 Mar 2013 2 1865 21 Mar 2013
Siem Reap Airport Surcharge ... By pabloeskimo on 12 Aug 2009 3 2404 12 Aug 2009
Siem Reap to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport over land ... By sreid9 on 13 Dec 2008 16 10977 22 Oct 2010
cambodian visa from Siem Reap Intl Airport - how long does it take ... By lindaparry on 3 Oct 2007 2 5263 3 Oct 2007
Suvarnabhumi Airport to China town ... By g_singh on 12 Sep 2007 7 4097 13 Sep 2007
Hi...cheapest and most easy way to town from airport! ... By applejy on 26 Nov 2007 1 1559 26 Nov 2007
Phuket Airport/ town to Koh Kho Khao resort ... By wailing1 on 16 Jul 2006 1 3195 17 Jul 2006