Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Angkor with own moto

• Voyagner

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

Hi, now I know you aren't allowed to drive you own bike in Angkor grounds but I know it is actually possible. Has anyone done it can can anyone give advice on how where to enter the park from? Obviously the normal gate is out of the question but I guess there are endless routes into the park other than that one. I found these guys who did it this year http://vimeo.com/13243194

This will be my 4th or 5th visit to cambo and 3rd time to Angkor so I'm not really going to be riding to temples where it is likely I'll get busted, I'll after more of the smaller temples I've not yet seen.

Also if anyone is going to be there around Dec 19 to Jan 10 and would like a riding buddy if we are in the same areas let me know.

#1 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 15:58

• Advertisement

• swatral

Click here to learn more about swatral
    Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

Are you for real? You’re an idiot and you deserve to get busted. Give a local a bit of employment and respect the country and its rules you are visiting. Not too much to ask

#2 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 19:12

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Swatral perhaps overstates the case, nevertheless, it's probably not too much to ask that you follow the rules of a world heritage site. Everyone is a dumbass once in a while, but there's a time and place, and I would suggest that Angkor Wat isn't it.

#3 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 19:52

• Voyagner

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

It's kinda funny how it's fine to ride a pushbike and electric bikes are for rent too, and I'm sure Sokimex would miss my $40

#4 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 20:11

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

idiot??? deserve to get busted??? hardly. but i still agree with MADMAC that while southeast asia is a fun place to occasionally ignore the rules, Angkor Wat probably isn't the right spot to do it. if riding a push bike through the ruins isn't going to get you the experience you want, then maybe a ride out in the nearby countryside will do the trick. i don't know if it is possible, but perhaps you could ride out to bantei srei or one of the other remote temples. those roads aren't within the world heritage site proper and should be okay to ride.

there are a few other fun motorscooter loops that might be worth a look for you too. the one in southern laos through the bolevans plateau looks awesome to me, and as i type there is a new feature article on the Travelfish mainpage about the dien bien phu loop.

anyway, have fun. cheers.

#5 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 23:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.