Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Killed a Chicken. What happens next?

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

So I'm in Cambodia, and I'm driving my motorcycle (3 days ago). Chicken runs into the road. I can't avoid it. I slam it, it shakes for a few second then dies. This is seen by a couple on a motorcycle and some small children in front of a house a few meters down the street. It happens that the chicken belonged to the grandmother of the house. What should I do?

I know what I did, but Khmers and others have disagreed as to if I acted appropriately. What would you do?

'sheeed

#1 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 16:20

• Advertisement

• Voyagner

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

Go to the market and replace it?

#2 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 16:47

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I would have offered a few dollars to the grandmother. You're probably under no obligation, but a few dollars isn't a big deal to you, and it will make a small difference to them - not to mention a bit of good will.

I had a situation in Bali where a young kid (5-6 years) was playing in very narrow and busy street and ran out in front of our car. It was split second, and we had no warning. She was playing, and not looking. It was a god-awful moment getting out of the car to have a look but she was fortunately OK. Her foot was just slightly wedged under the edge of the car tyre, but it didn't go over it.

Even though she was reasonably OK (scraped foot although we didn't know if it was broken) and we were not at fault, we went to the hospital with the family. I knew we would end up paying something, and to be honest, we were happy to, but it was a nerve-wracking time as we didn't know how badly 'stung' we would be. After a bit of negotiating with the family and the hospital (fortunately I can speak enough Indonesian that got us through this) we settled on a reasonable amount. We also had some small token gifts that we were carrying around and gave something to the girl to try and cheer her up a bit.

So, while I strongly felt that we were not at fault - the girl just bolted out - and we ended up spending an hour or so at the hospital with the family, I felt that we did the right thing.

Anyhow - a chicken is not a girl, and I'm sorry to sidetrack your story.

I will be interested to hear both sides of what happened... what you did, and what the Khmers are saying!

#3 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 16:50

• 5acrefarmer

Click here to learn more about 5acrefarmer
    Joined Travelfish
    10th June, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

OK, someone's gotta ask . . .
    Why did the Khmer chicken cross the road?

#4 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 17:46

• Rasheeed

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

I could see in its eyes, as it took its last breath, a question... was it worth it? It seemed to think it was...

So farmer, why ever it did it, it had good reason.

'sheeed

#5 Posted: 15/11/2010 - 18:13

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Well I'd have paid the farmer for it and to pluck it and eaten with the family.
    Busylizzzy
    What you did was highly commendable but could have been dangerous for you.Years ago I worked for a large reputable British Company in S.E. Asia and we were told that if we ever knocked someone down and there were other people around to tend that person NOT to stop but report it to the next police station.As a foreigner you are extremely vulnerable to mob anger.

#6 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 01:40

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Sayadian, yes, I know what you are saying. Our actions could have been quite different if the incident had occurred elsewhere - ie in a different part of Indonesia that I was less familiar/comfortable with, or in a country where I had no knowledge of the language. I had heard the advice before about not stopping, and it quickly crossed my mind at the time, but I just don't know that I could ever do it. (Now a chicken would be a different story!)

So, Rasheed...... we're waiting for the next instalment!

#7 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 02:39

• Rasheeed

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

So to continue the story...

I walked over to the house and said sorry. One of the kids ran out and grabbed the chicken and tossed it in front of the house. Grandma comes out and looks down on it, sad so sad... so sad that I was pretty sure she was bsing. So I ask the question, how much she want? She asks for 30,000 riel (7.5USD). Some of the folks who have gathered in the front yard begin to laugh (note: I know that Cambodian laughter does not necessarily mean that something is funny ha ha, but here it seemed to be the case). Seems like a bit much to me so I call a Cambodian colleague. He doesn't answer. I tell grandma that I can give her 20,000 but if she wanted more I'd have to call my boss. Her family tells her to take it, which de does "sadly" and I drive off.

This is what I did...

To be continued.

'sheeed

#8 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 07:19

• Voyagner

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2009

Sounds fine to me, I would've thought a chicken would be about $5.

#9 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 07:25

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

So far so good. I also had $5 in mind when you started this story (even though I'm sure a chicken is not really worth that much.)

Was the chicken still intact so that it could be turned into amok later that night? (Serves it right for running amok in the first place!)

#10 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 07:58

• Advertisement

• Rasheeed

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

About 75% of the Cambodians I have spoken too say I did NOT do the right thing.

#11 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 13:49

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Interesting story.
    yeah, agree that a bit of money to compensate a loss in addition to the apology.
    Bet the grandchildren had a good dinner that night.

#12 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 13:54

• swatral

Click here to learn more about swatral
    Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

So tell us - what should you have done?

#13 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 14:29

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Got a feeling the Khmer thought this chicken should have gone to the wat?? Feed the monks?
    I'll be over there in a couple of weeks so I'll do my own little survey.I am intriqued.
    :-)

#14 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 15:35

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Rasheed: Then what did the 75% of Khmer think would've been the right thing to do?

#15 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 10:47

• williamducl-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2010

You pay more than its price to the owner. Happened to me when I was in school. They followed me and came to my house.

#16 Posted: 26/11/2010 - 22:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.