Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

BKK to Siem Reap at 2am?

• browngirl

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2010

So our 16hr flight doesn't arrive till 2am on Dec 24th and am wondering if we should head to the border to get to Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) or stick around in Bangkok for two days ( we will be back later after few days to explore rest of Thailand). I just don't want to waste the day in trying to catch up on sleep at a hotel in Bangkok and was thinking of catching some sleep on the bus to Siem Reap instead. My husband doesn't like the idea and thinks we should just rest up.

Is this possible? Is there a bus leaving early in the morning? We probably wont get out of the airport till 3am and bus ride to Khao San road it'll be 4am so it's pretty much the next day.

#1 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 13:21

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

A 16 hour flight can knock you around a bit as you cross several time zones, and may not sleep that well on the flight. Also - if it's an afternoon/evening flight, then you would have been awake since morning - that's going to make for a very long day.

I think I would tend to stay the night, have a good sleep in. Use that day to organise your bus out of Bkk, and go for a nice Xmas eve dinner.

Also - you will be very unlikely to get any sleep on a bus to Siem Reap. All the buses that I have ever been on in Cambodia and Thailand play crappy old Kung **-type DVD's at full volume. There aint' no sleep to be had there no matter HOW tired you are!

And finally, be careful with the buses out of Khao San Road. I know there are problems with theft from bags on the ones that head south. Not sure if it's a problem on the ones to Siem Reap. (And sorry, I can't help with bus schedules, but I'm sure someone else will pipe up here.)

Good luck!

PS. The anti-foul language filter obviously doesn't like Kung-**, but I'm sure you'll work it out!

#2 Posted: 16/11/2010 - 15:05

• Wozzer

Joined Travelfish
    23rd January, 2010

Well, if you don't mind having a few hours nap and brekkie at BKK - there's a bus straight from the airport to Aranyaprathet - actually it goes on from Aran to RangKula(?) market - which is where the Thai/Cambo border is.
    I travelled on it in August and it departed the airport at 08.00. It was less than 4 hours to the border. Very cheap - around 200THB from memory.
    It departed from the ground floor of the airport (not the transportation centre). If you nip down there when you arrive - I don't suppose anyone will be at the ticket desks - but I'm sure there were some posters up showing the departures.

An alternative if you want to 'keep on the move' - get a taxi to Mo Chit (Northern Bus Station) and you'll be in time for the first of the public (no music!?) buses (around 04.30 I think) down to Aranyaprathet in around 5 hours.

Either way - cross the border and get a cab if you can find someone to share with. Try for around $35 for 3 pax (4 is a bit crowded) to Siem Reap in about 2.5 hours.

KSR buses are a nightmare and you'll get stitched up somewhere, somehow...

Safe travels :-)

#3 Posted: 22/12/2010 - 16:52

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Have a day in Bangkok Then avoid any buses from KSR - you will be ripped off one way or the other.

KSR is not the only source for travel in Thailand and it has a pretty bad rep.!
    Take a day to rest and then plan your route..

#4 Posted: 24/12/2010 - 06:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.