Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Boat - Siem Reap to Battambang

• SteinOfOran-
    ge

Joined Travelfish
    14th March, 2007
    Location United States

I have been through this before so excuse my dryness (been in Cambodia 3 years,) and here is my experience just last week.

$21 ticket for the boat to Battambang from Siem Reap. Told it was a 7 hour journey.
    The van, which ended up being a pick-up truck, was supposed to arrive at 6AM and arrived at 6:45.
    The boat was so full we ended up on the roof - beware of the sun as this ended up being a 9 hour ordeal.
    The scenery was pleasant.
    Upon arrival 8 out of 8 people I talked with said they were glad they made the trip but would never do it again (take what you will from that.)
    Spent the night in Battambang and can highly recommend the Riverside Bar (pizza and foliage). The guesthouse we stayed at was in the center of town and fantastic at $15 per night - Chhaya Hotel.
    Next day took the $5 bus ride to P.P which was advertised at 6 hours max - the bus broke down in the middle somewhere and this turned into a 9 1/2 hour boo-hoo.
    That is abut it.

#1 Posted: 25/11/2010 - 13:22

• Advertisement

• ggrkman

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Must agree with you on the organizing skills of the Cambodians. We were suposed to start at 7am, eventually ended up going at half past eight on a really noisy and completlly packed boat. The trip lasted for nine hours, and to my luck we stayed on the bow of the ship where the noise and the crowd was endurable.As you mentioned, I'm glad i took the trip but would never again. At Batambang we stayed in a new hotel, SENGHOUT HOTEL.. this i have got to recomend. It's a new hotel with a great 3-floor terace, great central location just for 14$ per night, wifi, AC, and all the commodities included..a must go! If you hire a good tuk,tuk diver you can see the sorunding atractions in one day 10-15$.. There is not much to do in Battambang, but it's a nice city to visit afer the tourist packed Siem Reap..

#2 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 20:50

• Hemsi

Joined Travelfish
    6th March, 2010
    Total reviews: 5

I also have to agree! We took to boat just 3 weeks ago from BB to SR ... 9,5 hours! We were told 6-7 hours. The thing is that not only has the boat to navigate very slowly through the narrow parts of the river - we stopped so many times to take even more people on board - and to drop them off again at their villages. The trip is interesting and worth it - but only if you haven't seen people's everyday life at a river in SEA or floating villages. And mostl likely you have come across this somewhere ... Thailand, Vietnam ... same, same but (only a little) different.

I made a very painful experience on that boat - but it's my own fault: We were sitting at the back (very noisy with the motor), as there was not really much space to put your legs and feet (bags everywhere), I turned around and had my legs dangling down on the outside of the boat. Very comfortable ... but then while navigating through the narrow sections, the boat came very close to the river bank. In fact, the boat hit a tree - and my left leg and foot were smashed in between. Very painful, nothing broken (at least that's what I hope) but swollen still today. I didn't got to the hospital and luckily it didn't interfere with our plans - I still climbed a lot of Angkor temples ;-).

How stupid of me ... So please, keep your bodyparts where they belong - inside the boat!

Take care, Hemsi

#3 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 23:17

• claytronj

Joined Travelfish
    31st October, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 24

I too did this trip recently, and yes my boat was late to depart. But it's Cambodia so I expected it to be late. If you want to read about my trip its here: http://gypsylifecambodia.blogspot.com/

#4 Posted: 31/10/2012 - 01:25

• catepoe

Joined Travelfish
    18th October, 2013
    Location United States

Hello Everyone --

Any updates, changes to what's posted here? We're about to head into the area (early December). Previous posts are very thorough, so no need to repeat what you've said. Just checking because it seems things can change in unexpected ways. Thanks!

#5 Posted: 19/10/2013 - 09:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Boat from Siem Reap to Battambang ... By Ashe88 on 30 Dec 2007 2 3735 30 Dec 2007
Cambodia - Boat from Siem Reap to Battambang during February ... By losligato on 1 Feb 2007 3 2688 3 Feb 2007
Siem Reap to Battambang ... By steviej on 1 Dec 2006 6 3771 14 Dec 2006
Bus from Siem Reap to Battambang ... By dandav on 20 May 2010 5 9425 19 Oct 2013
Battambang to Siem Reap ... By dvgainer on 4 May 2006 7 2516 5 May 2006
From Siem Reap via Battambang to Koh Chang ... By mjldsk on 6 Jan 2009 5 8963 2 Feb 2009
Phu Quoc to Battambang / Siem Reap ... By djkeith on 9 Jan 2012 0 1576 9 Jan 2012
Christmas in Siem Reap or Battambang ... By KazAussie on 9 Dec 2009 1 2930 10 Dec 2009
Phnom Penh to Battambang then to Siem Reap... ... By meeshakar on 3 Feb 2012 2 3033 10 Feb 2012
Boat from Chau Doc or Siem Reap ... By cuffedbloke on 30 Oct 2009 0 4556 30 Oct 2009