Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Aranyaprathet to Ventiane overland?

Posted by textibule on 28/11/2010 at 20:45

Hello all.

Been reading the great info on this site about going from BKK to Siam Reap via Aranyaprathet which I plan doing mid-january 2011. When I'm done in SR, I was considering going back to Aranyaprathet and then, if such a thing exists, taking a bus from there into Nong Khai , just before the Laos border at Vientiane. My objective is to avoid going back to BKK just in order to catch the train that exists to Nong Khai and on through the Laos leg of my trip.

Any thoughts? Is this a silly way to do it? TIA

#1 textibule has been a member since 20/11/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by Lother on 16/1/2011 at 01:56

It's possible for sure, but as far as I know there aren't any direct buses Aran - Nong Khai, so you'd need to change buses at least once, maybe twice. I've taken a bus from Buriram to Aran via Nakhon Ratchasima, so buses to Nakhon should be available at least, and from there you should be able to get one to Nong Khai, changing again at Udon Thani if necessary.

#2 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by idreamofdurian on 16/1/2011 at 10:19 TF writer

You definitely don't need to go all the way back to Bangkok. I did a similar route once but in the reverse order.

The nearest big city to Aranya Prather is Nakhon Ratchasima (aka Korat), so head there first. If you're lucky you'll get a direct bus to Vientiane (I think there's only 1 a day), otherwise there will be plenty of buses to Khon Khaen/Udon Thai/Nong Khai where you can change buses again.

#3 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by Rasheeed on 17/1/2011 at 10:11

Why do you hate Cambodia?

#4 Rasheeed has been a member since 4/11/2010. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 311
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.