Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Specific advice needed

• shadowcat7

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2010

Hi, 3 of us are travelling to Cambodia in early Feb-via Hong Kong. We have booked hotels in Ho Chi Minh City and Phu Quoc...and intend to take a bus from Phnom Penh to HCMC-but we are completely confused as to our visa requirements! Initially, we were told that getting suitable visa's for Vietnam was easy in PP: around $30-$50 same day turn around...but we have only 1 working day in PP (Monday 7th Feb) and worried that if we cannot get the visa' on the day - we have lost our hotel and flights in Vietnam to Phu Quoc. I know that we do not need a VOA..but a land crossing visa with some sort of letter (??) We NEED advice from someone who can really re-assure us...or would it be better to get them in the UK and pay the extra ££££s. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 05:45

• Advertisement

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

It takes a day in PP. Get the visa in the UK. You'll feel better. Why do you have only one working day in PP? And what do you consider a working day?

#2 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 08:20

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Agree with rasheed. Get it in UK.
    It's too nerve-racking to wait in PP, although in general that service runs very smooth, if a lot depends on it.

From what I understand is that the passports actually have to go to Sihanoukville where the Vietnamese consulate issues the visas. Not much margin for error then so UK would definitely be best choice. Don't plan too tight in SE-asia. 10-20 pounds more to avoid a catastrophy and some peace of mind? I know what I would choose.
    I thought VOA for land borders is not possible anyway. Even with a letter. But not sure about last point.

#3 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 11:39

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

I believe East-West is correct. Visa on Arrival is only good for airport arrivals into Viet Nam.

#4 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 12:01

• shadowcat7

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2010

Cheers for that: as we are arriving in Phnom Penh on Saturday 5/2 and need to travel to HCMC on Tuesday 8/2 as early as posible-this would have left only one business working day..ie..Monday, to go to the Vietnaan Embassy and get this sorted. Our hotel have stated that they can "probably" do it for us...but I am now going to get the Visa from London as suggested for peace of mind. I knew the VOA was no good a we plan to travel by bus-but we are also flying to Phu Quoc after 3 days in HCMC...will the same visa be sufficient for that trip? Also-do any of you know if the quad biking place is open on wekends in PP as we are really keen to do the full day excursion that we have seen advertised everywhere...looks awesome..but no details on weekend openings?

#5 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 16:37

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

About the quad I don't have details but I know for a fact that it's popular with expats so it should be available in weekends. Alas no contact details for you.

Your Vietnam visa is valid for Phu Quoc. No worries there.

Your schedule as posted makes things different: You could probably quite safely get the visa locally in PP but I would still advise to pre-arrange for peace of mind.

#6 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 17:39

• Archmichael

Joined Travelfish
    23rd July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 2

Regarding quad bike tours in Phnom Penh, you might take a look the the website www.khmer440.com . Possibly something is listed there.

#7 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 22:04

• Rasheeed

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

EW

Exactly what I was thinking. Working days are different here. Put the passports in saturday and they're back monday no worries. Piece of mind is piece of mind though...

'sheeed

#8 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 22:31

• Rasheeed

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

EW

Exactly what I was thinking. Working days are different here. Put the passports in saturday and they're back monday no worries. Piece of mind is piece of mind though...

'sheeed

#9 Posted: 11/12/2010 - 22:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
SEA 3-month trip: general + specific (+any other type of) advice, please ... By Brecht on 7 Feb 2011 6 2877 12 Feb 2011