Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

itinerary advise for one week in northeastern cambodia to laos

• malaysiangi-
    rl

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2010

Hi everyone!

I'm from Malaysia and I'll be traveling alone to Cambodia and Laos mid-january next year and so I came up with this rough itinerary for Cambodia for about a week.

day1: reach Phnom Penh
    day2: leave Phnom Penh (I've been here before for a weekend) and head to Kampong Cham, stay a night at Kampong Cham
    day3: Move on to Kratie (to see the dolphins!)
    day4: Still in Kratie, spend the night there
    day5: Leave for Ban lung
    day6: Still in Ban lung
    day7: Leave for Stung Treng , cross the border to Laos

Okay so my questions are:

1. Is it better to spend one night at Kratie and leave earlier to Ban Lung so I'd have more days at Ban Lung? or would it be too rushed?

2. or should I just give Kampong Cham a miss and head straight to Kratie from Phnom Penh?

3. Is it possible for me to go from Ban Lung to Stung Treng and then cross over to the Lao side in one day itself? or should I make arrangements for one night in Stung Treng?

I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible coz I heard that that's the high season, and I'm afraid of just show up without reservations at a town only to find that the cheapo guesthouses I want to stay in are taken up.. or am I being too paranoid?! also I'd be grateful for just about any other advise you could possibly have..

on another note, anyone else doing the same route around the same time? if there's the possibility of a meet up..

Thanks for reading!

#1 Posted: 15/12/2010 - 01:45

• Advertisement

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

I like Kratie a lot. I love Banlung. Haven't been to Kampong Cham in many years.

This is what i would do if I were you (that is, if I were a Malaysian girl who liked dolphins).

You don't have much time...

Day 1: Reach Phnom Penh
    Day 2: Leave Phnom Penh for Kratie
    Day 3 AM: Go see the dolphins
    Day 3 PM: Leave for Banlung (1pm bus, arrive 7-8ish pm, know where you want to stay in advance)
    (I can see staying a full day in Kratie and I would totally do that if you had more time. You can decide that morning.)
    Day 4-6 Banlung (treks, waterfalls, elephants, swimming in the lake)
    Day 7 leave for Lao (no need to stop in Stung Treng)

As far as lodging goes, there are a couple places in Banlung and Kratie that fill up sometimes. Not because they are so great necessarily, but because they are well known. Just in case you might want to get in touch with the place you're interested in in advance.

I'll be in Banlung in mid-January as well.

Drop me a PM or ask away here if you have more questions...

'sheeed

#2 Posted: 15/12/2010 - 07:57

• millipatti

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2010

Hi!

I don't know all the places you're talking about but I know Kompong Cham... and I love it. Not for the city per se (even if it's nice to walk around the market) but for the countryside which is very very nice. So if you decide to stop over you should stay at least two nights to have enough time to go around. In fact, I think you will have to make choices...

If you want the reference of a nice "jeep driver" in Kompong Cham, ask me in PM.

Good trip

#3 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 05:03

• malaysiangi-
    rl

Joined Travelfish
    22nd August, 2010

thanks guys for the great replies! definitely very useful, but sadly I've had to cancel my trip entirely.. hopefully it'll come in handy to anyone else planning to visit the same places or for me in the future :)

#4 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 17:05

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Sorry to hear that. Very tidak bagus...

#5 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 19:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary help no. 264... (northeastern cambodia vs. southern split) ... By 3drazor on 26 Jun 2012 5 2088 28 Jun 2012
Thailand, Cambodia, Laos - 4 weeks - itinerary advise ... By Coboooo on 22 Feb 2013 2 1884 1 Mar 2013
Itinerary Help: 1 week in Laos and Cambodia ... By melig on 22 Mar 2013 2 1617 23 Mar 2013
Itinerary Help: 1 week in Laos and Cambodia ... By melig on 22 Mar 2013 4 1295 24 Mar 2013
6 Week itinerary for Vietnam, Laos & Cambodia ... By langleym1 on 12 Jan 2013 4 2525 17 Jan 2013
Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos 3 week itinerary ... By fionoula on 23 Oct 2009 1 3883 24 Oct 2009
Thailand/Laos/Cambodia 6 week itinerary ... By pascal1980 on 31 Dec 2011 16 6142 2 Nov 2012
3 week itinerary - Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia ... By corion on 18 Nov 2013 3 1458 29 Nov 2013
3 week itinerary - Bangkok, Laos and Cambodia ... By corion on 18 Nov 2013 3 1173 22 Nov 2013
Help on my 5 week itinerary: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia (Vietnam) ... By snowowl on 22 Feb 2010 2 4090 26 Feb 2010