Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Thoughts from the Lakeside

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Don't believe the tuk-tuks when you arrive in Phnom Penh and they tell you the Boueng Kok Lakeside area is gone.In many respects it's even more colourful than it used to be as all the old characters are still here.A lot of the guesthouses near the lake have been knocked down and everyday another building is demolished, it's a bit like teeth being extracted.There are still some places to stay and still good food to eat.The locals are still here and the expats mull over their coffee next to the Square.I've got a great place to stay behind ParisPho restaurant near the Mosque.Beautiful room with bathroom and cable for $6 and so so quiet.Number 9 and number 10 are still open but it can get noisy with the demolitions.Come and see this tapestry of life before it's too late.

#1 Posted: 27/12/2010 - 10:25

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Glad to hear it isn't all gone yet... a very colourful area and I enjoyed by days hammockside there.

#2 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 08:35

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Lakeside highlights - BKM restaurant is still doing great food at good value prices (recently mentioned in an inflight magazine!) and the Tomato bar offers a pool fix and some good music and chat. I also got a good, cheap manicure and pedicure the other day at a shop towards the end of the strip (look for a yellow awning with 'Souvenirs' written on it).

Agree that this is the time to see Cambodia changing before your eyes - the country is going to be so different in a few years, and Phnom Penh changes daily. Lakeside has been a special place but 'progress' never stops.

Also good to support these business owners at Lakeside, some of whom were looking after backpackers way before the newer tourist areas got up and running.

#3 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 17:48

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

To add to the food review just by the mosque the Vietnamese place ParisPho or is it PhoParis never sees any backpackers and probably because it looks expensive and has air-con but actually it is very cheap and does a huge variety of delicious Khmer, Viet and Western food.
    Abigail
    Apparently Andy who used to run the Magic Sponge knows you and says hello. He's now a teacher-the inevitable metamorphosis of the long-stayer

#4 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 19:13

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

#5 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 19:19

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I spoke to the owner of the BKM restaurant this evening.Like a lot of good successful businesses around here here he feels that when he closes he won't be able to continue in other location because of high rents elsewhere.
    BTW He wouls love to know what in flight magazine his place was mentioned in?

#6 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 18:31

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

I don't know which inflight mag BKM restaurant was mentioned in, but I'd love to know too!

Thanks for the ParisPho tip - I've never been in, but I will check it out.

#7 Posted: 12/1/2011 - 13:21

• SailorBoy

Joined Travelfish
    26th November, 2010

Lakeside is definitely there :) ...stayed there a week ago for 3 nights at grand view guest house ( right next to no.9 and no.10). Room with bathroom: $5. Downside - the noise. Nice place, though; with good, cheap eateries lined up on the street opposite to the mosque.

#8 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 12:14

• SimOliver

Click here to learn more about SimOliver
    Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

Just heard today that the long standing No.9 Guesthouse is now moving from the Lake to St. 258 near the riverfront and Royal Palace.

This seems to be the new backpackers area with other established Lakeside businesses already having moved there some time ago.

#9 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 11:55

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

......... Happy have a small guesthouse on St 258 too, and Lazy Gecko have a guesthouse/cafe there. Also check out 3 Rivers, which often has a lakeside feel.

Oh My Buddha and Dolce Vita restaurants are on St 172, near Kandal Market.

#10 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 11:01

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.