Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

in sihanoukvile where next

• valis

Click here to learn more about valis
    Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

hi ther,ive been using sihanoukvile as base camp and done a bit of nam and enough of what in want to see of thialand and southern cambodia,im now back in sihanoukvile and dont know what to do next?

anyway i got robbed a few days ago(dont ask) i have no acsess to my bank and only $400 left in travelers checks,anyway my insurance just sent me $800.
    so i ow about $100 out here but im thinking of heading towards my final destination(hanoi on 31st of jan),the thing is now i only have about $1000US by the time i leave here but i dont know what to do next.

i dont have any traveling companions now as i want to go alone,i was planning on just hanging about here and doing the odd overnight trip untill my visa runs out on the 19th then heading to ho chi minh city with a mate(as we found the street that makes the guitars and wanted to send some home as they have absolute crackers dirt cheap if you know what shops to look in).
    anyway that ides out the window now as i dont have the funds,$1000us,26 more days to travel from sihanoukvile to hanoi,what would you do???????????

sugestions pleassssse.
    im gonny give here 4 more days tops,what you all think.

#1 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 20:45

• Advertisement

• valis

Click here to learn more about valis
    Joined Travelfish
    14th July, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

ps i have a multiple entry visa to vietnam so entering thers no problem anytime,dont know about laos tho?i would like to go ther if my funds alow me.

im not to worried about going back to ho chi minh city as its just to booming and makes me paranoid,i was so relieved to go to pnom phen and relax after ther,pluss i would be to tempted to get one of those amazing guitars,and i dont think my funds could handle it.

#2 Posted: 5/1/2011 - 20:50

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Valis
    Sorry to hear you got robbed. I would ask how it happened, but you said "don't ask", so I won't.

I would go north and head into Laos. You can find places to RON cheap there and get by on the cheap, which now you will need to do.

#3 Posted: 6/1/2011 - 10:46

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I agree with Mac. Head north to Laos slowly and make a few stops in northern Cambodia as well. Both northern Cambodia and Laos are very cheap and it will take you in the direction of Hanoi.

If you have to meet your friend in HCMC you'll have little choice but to ask him to join you on the Laos tour.

Alternative would be to spend some time in Kampot and the Mekong delta. Staying in the Mekong delta can be cheap as well. Although it doesn't seem to me that you have the right mindset to travel further in Vietnam given your description of HCMC.

And did you check with your bank? Most times they could express-mail a new card to you. Off course you need to give them an address but it wouldn't be the first time they've done that.

#4 Posted: 6/1/2011 - 13:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.