Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

4 Days to a week in Cambodia!

• DomesticG

Joined Travelfish
    3rd June, 2010

Greetings to 2011 ya'll! I'm heading for my 1st trip of 2011 to Cambodia and am super hyped. Just wanted to run through my itinerary here and see what you guys think;

Day 1: Arrive at SR at 7am, Visit Old Market, French Quarter, Sunset at Ang Kor Wat and also purchase our 3 days pass.
    What else can/should I do to get an introduction of SR during my 1st day?

Day 2: Start at 9am; South Gate Ang Kor Thom, Elephant Terrace, Leper King, Phimeanakas & the Royal Enclosure, Bayon, Ta Phrom. Sunset at Ang Kor Wat.
    What time does tour group usually start their day at AKW? I'm gonna try to avoid them as much as possible.

Day 3: Depart hotel at 8am; Banteay Samrei, Beng Melea, Kbal Spean, Banteay Srei
    Possible to finish all these on a 8-5pm day trip?

Day 4: Sunrise at Ang Kor Wat, Prasat Kravan, Pre Rup, East Mebon, Ta Som, Neak Pean, Preah Khan. Sunset at Bakheng.
    Is Sunset at Bakheng dangerous while descending from the steps as it will be dark after sunset and steps are really steep?

Day 5: Depart SR to PP via Mekong Express. I'm hoping to arrive at Phnom Penh by 4pm. Visit Central Market.
    What time does the Mekong Express leave for PP? I can't seem to find the time chart online.
    Where will the Mekong Express drop me off at Phnom Penh? Or does it bring me directly to my hotel?
    What else can I do on my 1st day in PP?

Day 6: Tuoel Sleng Genocide Museum, The Killing Fields of Choeung Ek, Russian Market.
    Is there anywhere else I should be visiting on the history of PP? I will be skipping Royal Palace, Silver Pagoda, National Musuem, Independence Monument.

Day 7: Khmer cooking class in the day. Flight at 9.15pm.
    What else can I include my last day?

My days in Cambodia seems to be pretty short and I'm really afraid of boredom during a holiday!! Please advise me what else should I add to the itinerary to spice things up a lil!!

#1 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 13:02

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I don't think you will get bored if you are really interested in what you see and how they go about their lives. Take your time to absorb what you see and hear. I really don't get excited by too much of the Khmer Rogue stuff for example. I know all about it and after seeing a bunch of skulls and hearing the story I already read about years ago it does nothing to excite me or make me feel warm n fuzzy while travelling. The markets are not that different in terms of feel once you see all the usual market stuff there. I enjoy the world outside of the markets as much as inside.
    Siem reap is overpriced and very touristed. I enjoyed getting a ride outside of the town into small communities nearby. It was like a different world. But to each his own. I enjoy siem reap but there is no big "draw" outside of Angkor Wat. It comes down to how you enjoy travelling. constantly doing something or passively absorbing.

#2 Posted: 9/1/2011 - 07:29

• peter27

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

Clear all your doubts. It is going tobe a great trip. There are so many things to do in Cambodia and youonly have a week. Siam Reap is starting point to visit famoustemples in Angkor Wat. There are so many beautifultemples and you will find wonderful photographic opportunities. Youcan hire a motorcycle or cycle to get around. You can also go to avast natural reserve TonleSap that is in the south of Siem Reap and enjoy boatride.

#3 Posted: 11/1/2011 - 20:29

• duong

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Your trip is very detail and wel- organized thus I beleive that you will have a great trip in Cambodia.

And I suggest that you should take the boat trip along the Tonle Sap lake - Great lake just for half day or full day to visit the floating village such as Kompong Khleng or Kompong Phluk village to enjoy the daily life of the local people... and you will have more time to communicate with them...

#4 Posted: 12/1/2011 - 15:33

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

................If you get a good tuk tuk or moto driver, he'll know the route the tourist tours take around Angkor Wat and drive you round to miss most of the hordes.

Day 3 - it depends how much time you want to spend at each temple.

I found some of the most enjoyable temples weren't the 'big ones', but smaller, less significant places where I wandered around entirely alone. Give yourself time to just decide to stop and have a look at anything you find along the way.

Day 4, sunset - the worst thing is how many people are all crammed on top of the temple, without regard for what they're standing on. Personally, I found the whole experience a bit over-rated. Walk back down is fine, especially if you have a torch.

Day 5 - the bus will drop you off at a relatively central bus stop/company office. You'll need to get a ride to your guesthouse from there. Be aware that the markets start closing up about 4.30, so you may wish to visit Central Market another day. In the evening, I'd suggest a walk along the river, a few cheap beers, or if you've time, a sunset cruise along the river. There are lots of boats advertising as you walk down the river.

Day 6 - you'll likely see Independence Monument as you ride around the city, anyway. Don't leave Russian Market too late (re: closing time). You may find that one of the Khmer Rouge sites is enough. I'd recommend the museum over the fields, if you do just choose one. In the evening, why not check out one of the Khmer beer garden places, which sell jugs of beer for about 7000 reil, complete with karaoke videos in the background.

Day 7 - how about visiting the Olympic Stadium early in the morning to see/join in with exercise classes? It's a truly Khmer experience. You could take a cyclo tour around, to soak up the ambiance of Phnom Penh.

In general, I'm sure you won't be bored. Just walking/driving around the city you'll see daily life in all its glory. If you're adventurous with food, there's some great street stalls to eat at, when you'll be fully immersed in Cambodian culture, sitting alongside everyone else eating breakfast or lunch.

Enjoy!

#5 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 17:22

• Giddy007

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2011

I went to Toul Sleng and the Killing Fields in one day. I found it way to much to take, and I wish I hadn't. Just so you're aware - it will be a very harrowing day indeed.

Also- I totally agree with Abigail above, who suggested you visit the Olympic Stadium. It's not too far from Toul Sleng - 5 minutes by moto- and it's BRILLIANT in the morning. I used to go at 6am and it was full of Cabodian athletes training - many with prosthetic limbs, as well as aerobic groubs dancing to thumping Korean music. It's free to go in, and is so friendly and fun.

If that's a bit too early, go to the park near the friendship monument in the early evening, when it is FULL of aerobic classes. It's so fun to watch (and take part).

#6 Posted: 31/1/2011 - 18:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.