Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

single parent and 3yr old travelling

• TracynJesse-

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

Can anyone give me any advice. I am considering travelling in Cambodia, as a single female with a 3 year old child, for approximately 4 weeks from the end of this month. I am wondering how sensible this would be and if anyone has any tips on making it easier. I am also interested in any other destination that anyone would recommend. Too many places not enough time I fear. Will be grateful for any suggestions.

#1 Posted: 12/1/2011 - 05:08

• Advertisement

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Don't have a kid but from what I see...

Cambodia is a great place to travel with kids. Your kid will probably be sick of all the attention he (using male pronoun as I don't know the kid's gender) gets. If he is good with other people he'll have a great time. There are child friendly activities around and someone will mention them.

'sheeed

#2 Posted: 12/1/2011 - 11:10

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

I don't know your place of origin, but remember it is a third world country. Make sure you are up on all of your kids allergies and bring the appropriate medication or epi pen or whatever. It is harder to control things such as food ingredients. Of course you will get a lot of attention with a kid. Be careful on the street. If you have been to a place like SE Asia then you understand. Not always an easy place as far as the city streets and curbs go. Many places have open fires for cooking on sidewalks and the like. If you already have experience then you should be ok. Just bring any thing that you would even think you may need as far as health and stuff. Check with a travel doctor as far as vaccinations. Kids don't have strong immune systems yet. The kids in SE aSia are used to heaps more than in western countries. (Making no assumptions where you are from.)

#3 Posted: 13/1/2011 - 13:08

• TracynJesse-

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

Thanks both for your replies. I am from England. I have travelled around Thailand and a little of Myanmar in the past but that was without a small child and when you don't have them I guess you don't think about it at the time.

#4 Posted: 13/1/2011 - 17:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would be a bit reluctant to do it because you'll just be on your own. Nobody to help you watch the child. I moved her when my little girl was nine months old, but we had our in-laws and extended family to help, and that made a big difference.

#5 Posted: 13/1/2011 - 23:44

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Lots of people do travel with kids here, so you won't be the first.

Thomas is right that pavements could prove tricky, especially if you child is energetic! Cambodian kids are very sensible about roads and fires and knives, but UK kids tend not to be, so you'll have to keep an eye out.

That said, how great for your child to ride a tuk tuk, see a real elephant up close at Wat Phnom, play on the beach all day at Sihanoukville ...

Around Phnom Penh, there are public playgrounds, some of the not-so-budget restaurant cafes have play rooms or sandpits and there's jungle gyms at the shopping centres. Hotels have swimming pools, there's a fairground on Diamond Island and boat trips down the river. There's so much going on to keep your child interested.

You could probably find someone who would be willing to help you look after Junior for a bit of cash - a tour guide-come-childminder - ask at your guesthouse and someone's sister or cousin will pop out of the woodwork!

Bus journeys are pretty comfortable and there's a TV playing karaoke DVDs to keep little ones distracted. Be warned though that unless you buy a ticket for your child, they will be expected to travel on your lap for the whole journey.

#6 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 09:52

• SimOliver

Click here to learn more about SimOliver
    Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

I think you'll be fine and have a great trip. Cambodians love children and are great with them. Sure, you'd need to take care but there's no need to say that to a Mum.

The only thing that can get a bit annoying is that you'll find a lot of people will want to touch your kid, pinching cheeks etc, but it's not really a big deal. They just think western toddlers are unbelievably cute.

We live in Kampot in the south of Cambodia and have a 2 year old girl. We have a small playgroup, Peppercorns, for kids from 2-6, that takes place every weekday morning. If you're in the area and want to drop by then contact me via my blog. (http://talesfromanexpat.com).

#7 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 10:45

• swatral

Click here to learn more about swatral
    Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

I say go for it - if you have been to SE Asia before you know what to expect. Prams would be pretty much out. We visited Siem Reap last year and it was great and has lots to do on top of the temples. We loved it so much we are going back to other locations this year.
    I think the key when travelling with kids is not too try and do too much and plan for a few days by the pool or on the beach to just chill out. Don’t try and be travelling between too many destinations either.
    Of course make sure you and your child are fully vaccinated - tetanus, hepatitis etc and take with you any possible medicines and antibiotics you may need. Travel health insurance goes without saying. My son has a severe peanut allergy - we were careful and had no problems at all. In fact he loved the food which was a surprise as he is not the most adventuresses eater.
    As another poster has said I am sure you will find no problems finding a good babysitter through your hotel/guest house. Once you have picked a place maybe ask them
    Regards
    Suzi

#8 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 10:57

• chrisgow

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2011

Travelling with a young child in Cambodia is about the best way to go. Everyone here loves children and the attention you will get - and the encounters you will have as a result of that - will be exhilarating. If you want some help planning your trip let me know - that is what I do.... and live in Phnom Penh.

#9 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 23:34

• joniverstra-
    ete

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2011

Two very kid-friendly hotels in Siem Reap:

River garden guesthouse

They have a nice pool and many toys for kids in the pool and the restaurant. Local people and expats enjoy the free pool on sundays and when we babysit we always bring the little 4 year old there. Great place that really helps the Cambodian community. They also built a local playground for the community and kids of guests.

Suites and Sweet Resort
    A 4 start hotel with a very kid friendly atmosphere. Every suite has its own swimming pool, which the kids adore! They have a big pond where they can feed the fish. It`s a magnificent place and kids STAY FOR FREE!

Be aware that travel insurance is absolutely vital because the private hospitals are very expensive.
    For the rest it`s a great place and many people take their kids here!

#10 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 11:32

• Advertisement

• lolarosaliu

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2011

I am travelling with two boys next week to Siem Reap from Bangkok. My boys are 6 and 8. I think you'll be fine. I'm a bit nervous myself as I intend to go overland...but I'm up for the adventure. All the best.

#11 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 13:12

• TracynJesse-

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

Thanks everyone for all your encouraging replies. Can anyone give me any ideas how much it will cost to fly from Bangkok to Siem Reap as the prices I have had from travelagents here are too high for my budget. Also lolarosaliu if you can let me know how you get on going overland I'd be really interested although I've read it's a bit of a nightmare. I hope not.

#12 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 04:20

• SimOliver

Click here to learn more about SimOliver
    Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

There is only the one airline, Bangkok Airways, operating from Bangkok to Siem Reap and so the price is ridiculously inflated.

I believe the road from Poipet (the border) to Siem Reap is now much improved.

#13 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 08:17

• swatral

Click here to learn more about swatral
    Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2009
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 3

I am not sure if you are locked into your flights as yet and have to go from Bangkok but two other options are go though Singapore and catch a Jetsar flight (this is what we did) or via KL in Malaysia and catch an Air Asia flight - much cheaper
    Cheers
    Suzi

#14 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 08:54

• jackdsilva12

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2011

I have also gone to Cambodia with my 5 year girl, i got some problem but we enjoyed too much, you can also go with your kid but please take care of that kid don't take any kinds of risk....Wish You Good Luck For Your Safe And Beautiful Journey. :)

#15 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 14:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Single travelling, koh samui/koh phangan advice?! ... By summers357 on 23 May 2009 1 3204 25 May 2009