Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

HCM to Siem Reap

• kptn82

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2007

Hi

We're a family of 3, us and little girl 18 months looking to travel from HCM to Siem Reap , mainly Angkor Wat in March. Just wondering if the following itinerary is do-able and if we're allowing too little time

19-March
    - HCM City to Siem Reap by Mekong Express bus.
    - eat shop etc.. at night

20-21-March
    - Angkor temples + villages etc...

22-March
    - Siem Reap to HCM

My questions are

1. How hot will it be duing this period, i've had a look at the interactive weather map of Cambodia and temperature is from 25-35C, if anyone been here around this time of the year, is it ok for a child. We're ok with the heat but not sure about the little one.

2. Tickets for Mekong express, where do I get them from? in HCM City?
    I've had a look at this website, it shows all the time/schedule but I can't find the location of the bus office in HCM because that's where we will be coming from or an online booking
    http://www.canbypublications.com/cambodia/buses.htm

3.Cambodia Visa
    - I can get this at VN/Cambodia's border? (We're Australian). Travelfish mentioned you need a photo? Is this correct?

4. Most importantly - What should I plan for Angkor's temples? as in temple schedules, where to go first etc..? Or should I find a good guide from here and let him decide.

5. Places to stay.
    - Two Dragons or Rosy Guesthouse?
    - Is this high season?

Thanks for your help, if I'm missing something please let me know. I think I have covered the essential.

#1 Posted: 17/1/2011 - 08:57

• Advertisement

• kptn82

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2007

I have digged around the web and found a few answers

Although could I please get some input to this cambodia itinerary? Is this packing in too much? Do you think I need a guide for both days (temple) or 1 days is enough.

Day 1
    Morning:
    - South Gate of Angkor T hom
    - Central Angkor Thom (Bayon, Phimenakas, Terrace of the Elephants,)

Afternoon
    - Ta Prohm
    - Angkor Wat
    - Phnom Bakhen for sunset

Day 2
    Morning:
    - Angkor Wat for Sunrise
    - Pre Rup
    - Banteay Srey
    - Thommanon

Afternoon:
    - Rolous Group (bakong, Preah Ko & Lolei)
    - Artisan d' Angkor (silk farm)

Day 3
    Morning:
    - Floating villages at chong Khneas

Thanks a million

#2 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 11:13

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Nice plug from Jimmy but there are heaps of companies to choose from.

I think you should have a good think about that plan. 12 - 14 hours on the bus with a 18 month year old..... If you still want to do it I'd advise to buy 4 seats for the 3 of you so you have a little more space and the little one can lie down.

1. weather wil be ok. It's the end of the cool period. If unlucky it might be humid but I think you'll be fine.

2. Most (if not all) guesthouses/hotels will be able to sell tickets. It could be that they try to sell you from their "own" company. If you stay in the Pham Ngu Lao area their (Mekong) office is on Pham Ngu Lao street. If you can't find it, there are numerous travel agencies (also on that street) who can sell you a ticket. Perhaps it might cost you a dollar more per ticket but you'll easily spend that on a moto bike in search of the office

3. Yes to all questions

4. Pick up a free guide from Canby "Siem Reap" at your hotel or in a restaurant. They have good sample itineraries and valuations (star-system) and descriptions for the temples. Take it from there. Probably also difficult to plan with the young one anyway.

5. can't help with the guesthouses. It will be the end of high season

#3 Posted: 24/1/2011 - 21:41

• kptn82

Joined Travelfish
    24th September, 2007

Thanks eastwest

Speaking of which, I want to take a few shot of angkor sunrise/sunset.

What lens did you guys bring/use when doing this?

I'll have the 24-70 but thinking of lugging 70-200. Is it worth it?

#4 Posted: 28/1/2011 - 06:05

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

200mm is advisable if you want to shoot from Bakheng (the sunset hill). Without it Angkor Wat will be a tiny spot in your picture.

Consider bringing both objectives. Angkor is really a great opportunity to take great pictures. You might find yourself in situations where you kick yourself in the head for not bringing it. That depends of course on how serious you are about photography.....

#5 Posted: 31/1/2011 - 16:10

• farflunglori

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

I took my son there a few years back. It is hot. We took it easy, seeing the sights when it wasn't the heat of the day. Spread it out comfortably with the 3 day pass. Lots to see, outlying areas are different and fun too, not just the central complexes.

#6 Posted: 4/2/2011 - 11:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.