Photo: Within the grounds of the Royal Palace.

Cambodia forum

Are electronics cheaper in Cambodia?

Posted by frederikdb on 25/1/2011 at 19:25

Hey,

I heard from another tourist that shopping for electronics, such as iPods and iPhones, is cheaper in Cambodia than in the US. I think she mentioned that in Cambodia, there were no taxes on electronic products.

Can anyone confirm if this is true or false? Are there places in Phnom Penh where I should look for cheap electronics? Do I have to watch out for fakes or cheap chinese rip-offs?

F

#1 frederikdb has been a member since 2/1/2011. Posts: 2

Posted by eastwest on 26/1/2011 at 14:07

I live in Cambodia

The risks of fake ones and getting no valid warranty is a real one. Price difference isn't that huge so the choice is yours to make.

The official (if indeed they are) Apple resellers offer iPhones for "normal" prices. But since I don't know US prices I can't say for sure whether it's a lot cheaper. Certainly not that cheap that your jaw drops and if it does, it's most likely a fake.

#2 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by urleandy on 26/1/2011 at 16:28

The markets pretty much have most things that you could want from clothing to electrical goods to food and hammocks!Don't always pay what they ask for. These places are open to bargaining!!

#3 urleandy has been a member since 26/1/2011. Posts: 7

Posted by Thomas922 on 4/2/2011 at 08:27

I would never buy name brand electronics in Cambodia. They are NOT cheaper. The cheapest place I have ever bought name brand electronics is in the states. Check the internet. I have lived in Japan and Thailand and I still got Japanese brands cheaper in the states because we have a different pricing and distribution system. Too many fakes in real boxes in Cambodia to trust buying them.

#4 Thomas922 has been a member since 1/7/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 352
 Instagram 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 5/2/2011 at 00:12 TF writer

Ditto what Thomas says. The USA is the cheapest place in the world to buy new models of brand name electronics. You can't beat Wal-Mart :-(

#5 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.