Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

2 weeks in Cambodia or Vietnam

• Pina

Joined Travelfish
    31st January, 2011

HI there,

me and my partner will head to bangkok in March and have 2 weeks time to explore. We were thinking to visit Cambodia and Vietnam, e.g. flying into Saigon and out of hanoi. We just think it might be too much of a rush.

So if you would need to choose - where would you go?

Many thanks for all your opinions!!

Pina

#1 Posted: 31/1/2011 - 15:20

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

The two in two weeks is a bad idea unless you limit Vietnam to the southern part.

Two weeks is good to see the highlights of Cambodia. Two weeks is very short for the highlights of Vietnam. Even if you fly between destinations. The main highlights (Sapa, Halong, Hoi An) are not directly accessible by plane so there is still some time and travel involved to get there.

Alternative would be Angkor, PP, HCMC and a 2nd destinations of choice in southern Vietnam. That would also be feasible if you insist on seeing both countries

#2 Posted: 31/1/2011 - 15:59

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Wow! This is tough. Have you been to Thailand before? Two weeks to me seems just enough to touch major spots in Vietnam. I was there for about 17 or 18 days last time I went as I still need to do more. Maybe hitting Vietnam only would be better to me.

#3 Posted: 4/2/2011 - 08:22

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

..... I agree with previous posters. It may be better to pick only one country, or you could find yourself spending a lot of time on buses and not really experiencing either place.

If you're only interested in cities, it's possible to visit Siem Reap, Phnom Penh , HCMC and Hanoi, but you'd be missing out on so much else!

In Cambodia, two weeks would be sufficient to visit Angkor Wat, Tonle Sap etc at Siem Reap, then stop off a Kratie to experience a fairly typical small Cambodian town and see the river dolphins, followed by a few days in Phnom Penh for shopping, eating, visiting the palace and Khmer Rouge sites if you're interested in that. Then you could head down to Kampot and Kep for some countryside and sea, maybe popping over to Rabbit Island (boat from Kep) for a night or two of undeveloped beach relaxation. If you're more into drinking and a party atmosphere, you could make your to Sihanoukville instead. Kampot/Kep and Sihanoukville are only about 4-5 hours from Phnom Penh by bus.

#4 Posted: 10/2/2011 - 10:49

• peter27

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

I will also suggest you Cambodia as youcan easily cover it in two weeks. Two weeks are too short to exploreVietnam.http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/cambodia-two-week-triphere you will find great information to plan your trip.

#5 Posted: 11/2/2011 - 19:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.