Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

motorbike rental in Phnom Penh?

• skottypa

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

My plan is to take the bus from HCM city to Phnom Penh then I would like to rent a motorbike to explore the south down to Kampot and Sihanoukville. Has anyone did this before? If so where did you rent? How much per day? I heard you have to leave your passport as security deposit, I don't like the sound of that. Thank you for your help!

#1 Posted: 3/2/2011 - 10:24

• Advertisement

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

........I'm assuming you're an experienced rider with an understanding of how Asian road rules work, otherwise I wouldn't advise the trip. The road to Kampot can be a bit dangerous - you need your wits about you, as well as a good helmet. Total, the gas stations, publish an excellent road map of Cambodia that might prove very useful.

You do need to leave your passport when you hire, but there's usually no cash deposit. Never had a problem getting my passport back, but then I've never damaged the bike either! You'd be expected to pay for repairs if you did make a mess.

There's several decent motorbike rental places in PP - you can grab a Cambodian Pocket Guide when you arrive and check the listings. Have rented from New! New! and a place on St 130 (I think) by the river. Dirt/trials bikes are from about $12 a day. A normal scooter can be had from $5 or so, depending on age and condition. It's a long way to go on a moped, though! The advice is always to buy your own padlock, to avoid any 'stealing back' scams and always, always lock your bike when you stop.

The police are much better here recently about not stopping bikers just because they're foreign, but it makes sense to always wear your helmet (legal requirement), ensure your lights are off during the day and not jump red lights or go the wrong way down a one way street when there's police around. If you do get stopped, don't hand over your licence. A couple of dollars will usually fix problems, certainly if you haven't actually broken the law.

#2 Posted: 3/2/2011 - 12:01

• skottypa

Joined Travelfish
    20th January, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated.

#3 Posted: 4/2/2011 - 05:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
motorcycle rental in phnom penh ... By jonkup on 17 May 2014 1 575 18 May 2014
Motorbike from Sen Monorom to Phnom Penh ... By kristyl on 2 Oct 2011 1 1835 2 Oct 2011
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1452 2 Mar 2014
One-Way Motorbike Rental ... By soontobewrldtrv on 30 Mar 2012 2 3244 23 Apr 2012
Motorbike rental in Hue ... By MotHaiBa on 12 Oct 2011 0 1633 12 Oct 2011