Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Southern Coast of Cambodia West to East

• bumbly

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2011

Hello Everyone!

Is it safe to travel the Southern coast of Cambodia from Trat Thailand, to Kampot Cambodia alone and as a female? Whats the best method of transportation, how long would the trip take, and is there enough accommodations and towns along the way for overnight pit stops?
    What is the Kaoh Kong border crossing like? What is the quickest and easiest travel method to avoid the hassles and scam artists of over proced Visa costs, so I can just drive through and continue on my way?

Has anyone been to Boutum Sakor National Park? Is there any accommidations around the park?
    Thank-you!

#1 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 12:53

• Advertisement

• mankuta

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2011

Hey
    I've done the Cambodian coastline back and forth about 3 months ago.
    I was travelling alone (as a male though).
    To your question: i think it IS safe for a girl, generally speaking.
    the Cambodian people are very kind.
    when in cities, just keep to well lit and populated areas, staying away from dark alleys. and of course take good care of your (precious) belongings.. plenty of purse snatching and pickpocketing going around..
    Travel method? Buses/Minivans are pretty much your only choice. i hired bikes along the way in Koh Kong/Sihanoukville/Kampot to check out the area. when choosing a bus, make sure to check whether it takes you to the center of town or 2-3kms out of it, requiring you to pay for another moto taxi..
    Border: i've been to that border with thailand but didn't cross. shouldn't be much of a problem since its quite popular. The visa is 20$. period. don't agree to pay anymore as they will ask you for 1-5$ stamping/administration/other bullshit fee. if they don't comply just wait there a few minutes and they will come around, trust me. I've done that twice in two different borders of cambodia..
    oh and one other thing: unless you hold a VISA card, there are NO ATMS all the way from the thai border to SIhanoukville.. I've learned that the hard way...
    good luck!

#2 Posted: 18/2/2011 - 13:39

• oasisbarhat-
    ien

Joined Travelfish
    12th August, 2010
    Total reviews: 4

Posted from within Vietnam.

All good info,except the bit about the Koh Kong border,The Cambodian immigration guys there are notorious for unreasonable overcharging.They want 1200THB,which is twice the official price.You can try offering the official price,but you may have a long wait.The luggage carriers,and touts here are also particularly persistent and annoying.The only way to avoid this unreasonable charge is to get an E-visa or obtain a visa in advance from a consulate or embassy outside Cambodia.This border is the worst I have encountered over here,and not a pleasant introduction to the country.In addition,I would strongly advise against using any form of night time transport,the roads are not good,driving standards are poor,and there are frequent accidents,especially at night.But don't let this advice put you off,you will have a good time here if you take sensible precautions

#3 Posted: 19/2/2011 - 09:49

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

.........I had a problem at this border a couple of years ago, doing a visa run and trying to buy a business visa. There were (non-existant) problems with paperwork, payment was requested in Thai baht (as I'd just spent 2 months in Cambodia and was crossing straight back into Cambodia, this was impossible) and I was kept waiting for ages before I could negotiate a 'reasonable' fee.

I've never had a problem at any other border crossing into Cambodia, and I know friends who have recently crossed here without difficulty. Let's hope this exception has now improved.

Make sure you have passport photos handy, or try the e-visa route instead, and sail past the guards with a smile!

#4 Posted: 21/2/2011 - 15:52

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Road trip USA - East coast to West coast ... By svinoth03 on 12 Sep 2012 0 750 12 Sep 2012
East coast or West coast thailand? ... By steffanmathias on 20 Oct 2008 3 15080 25 Oct 2008
East Coast to West Coast! ... By Glome on 5 Nov 2011 2 1866 6 Nov 2011
East coast vs. West coast? ... By olsons on 20 Aug 2007 2 4248 27 Aug 2007
East or west coast this time of year? ... By sallymaher on 30 Oct 2007 6 3048 1 Nov 2007
Southern Islands East or West or Both? ... By HannahC on 20 Sep 2011 5 1482 22 Sep 2011
West coast of Cambodia to Ko Samui ... By spearmas on 4 Sep 2008 1 4006 5 Sep 2008
West Coast Samui ... By travelrock on 14 Jan 2009 2 1789 14 Jan 2009
Where to spend new year on West Coast of Thailand ... By alau81 on 12 Oct 2009 4 2230 13 Oct 2009
Thailand west coast islands - July/August sunshine? ... By VickyWebb on 13 Jul 2009 5 10812 13 Jul 2009