Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

A short trip > Vietnam > Cambodia

• TBD1

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2011

Myself and my partner are planning a short trip to Vietnam/Cambodia.
    We live in Hong Kong so have taken the chance over the Easter break to book a trip.
    We arrive in Ho Chi Min on Apr 22nd and leave from there on May 2nd the rest of the trip we need to fill in.
    So basically we're looking for advice about what to see, how long to stay, best ways to get in between, should we book travel and rooms before arrival etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

#1 Posted: 22/2/2011 - 13:16

• Advertisement

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

I think with ten days you don't need to venture into Cambodia, the Delta if very nice and I would say if you've never been to Vietnam 10 days is a great amount of time to check out HCMC, explore the Delta, and catch a little relaxation on a near beach.

You can easily spend 3 nights in HCMC and the area exploring, and then take a night in Can Tho (at least one full day - two nights preferred) as you go further up the Delta for a home stay of two or three nights.

I'm not familiar with beaches in the area - but if you ask I'm sure there is plenty of good advice.

#2 Posted: 22/2/2011 - 16:20

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

........Muine is a great beach place, and only a couple of hours north of HCMC.

Although I enjoyed the Mekong Delta when I visited, it can get a little same-y after a while - there's not so much to distinguish one town from the next. It really depends what you're after and how long you spend in HCMC.

If you did want to visit Cambodia, you can catch a slow boat which takes you up the Mekong into Cambodia, with the final couple of hours by minibus to Phnom Penh . It's a great, relaxing way to see the scenery and notice the changes when you cross the border.

There's enough to keep you occupied in Phnom Penh for a few days, and you could visit Kampot/ Kep for a taste of rural, laidback Cambodia. A bus will take about 4.5 hours from Phnom Penh, or you can charter a taxi for $35 which will cut the travel time in half. Once there, you can relax by the river in Kampot, maybe with a sunset cruise, visit caves and plantations, walk in the national park near Kep, eat freshly caught crab, explore the abandoned French villas in Kep and, if you feel like some exercise, take a trek up Bokor Mountain.

Whatever you decide, hope you have fun!

#3 Posted: 24/2/2011 - 15:45

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I agree with all of the above.
    I just think that you have to choose between 3 rough itineraries for that timeframe:

1. For temples/ruins and cities. HCMC - PP - Siem Reap and back
    2. For cities and countryside. HCMC - Mekong delta - Kep/Kampot - PP and back
    3. For city, beach and culture. HCMC - Mui Ne - Hoi An and back

#4 Posted: 24/2/2011 - 18:48

• TBD1

Joined Travelfish
    22nd February, 2011

Thanks for the advice.
    I'm leaning towards HCMC -PP - Siem Reap We're going have to put our heads together over the weekend and plan out our trip.

#5 Posted: 25/2/2011 - 09:15

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

In that case do a little research prior if you aim for mid or high end accommodation. It's not high season and good deals can be found on internet. For budget accommodation there is no need nor gain from internet bookings. This applies especially for Siem Reap where competition is fierce.

Travel. Bus tickets don't need to be booked in advance and I think it isn't possible anyway other than the day before departure. You may want to consider going 1 way by plane to make the most of your time since you would have to backtrack if you go over land.

#6 Posted: 25/2/2011 - 11:49

• vietnamrum

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

all you need to know about traveling to/from Cambodia.

http://canbypublications.com/cambodia/overland.htm

enjoy

#7 Posted: 1/3/2011 - 11:41

• peter27

Joined Travelfish
    18th November, 2010

Iwould also suggest you to book your accommodation in advance becauseyou can always find better deals by advance booking.

#8 Posted: 4/3/2011 - 17:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
A short trip > Vietnam > Cambodia ... By TBD1 on 22 Feb 2011 6 3439 2 Mar 2011
18 Day trip Laos/Cambodia/ Thailand short but all the time I have !! ... By bobjim on 10 Sep 2008 2 2787 10 Sep 2008
Advice on SHORT trip to Vietnam... ... By knauermd on 13 Nov 2009 3 3446 20 Nov 2009