Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

quick qs about cam

• Lisstarr

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2006

what kind of electrical adapter/converter do i need for cam?!

someone told me i should always wear shirts with sleeves while in Cam. Is this true? I imagine this would be the case at Angor or villages, but can I wear tank tops in Phnom Penh?

I know it is advised that females should not travel through PP alone at night. However, I will be there by myself and want to have some kind of social life. How late is late? Am I able to travel after dark (just not so late)? If so, when is my Cinderella hour when I should try to be home?

#1 Posted: 28/12/2006 - 21:11

• Advertisement

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Hi Lisstar,

Check out this formative site for your 'PLUG': http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

On the 'Sleeves', if I'm not mistaken (I stand up to pee so I could be wrong) the wearing of 'T' Shirts is fine although visiting the Silver Pagoda may turn a head or two.

Mooching about after dark can be, on rare occasions, a problem; best advice is:
    I, Avoid unlit areas
    II, Share a taxi
    III, Use your commonsense (if it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't)
    IV, Don't end up so paranoid that you end up not enjoying it

In reality you'll probably find yourself in the company of other like minded souls and, dare I say it, having a whale of a time.

Enjoy

steviej

#2 Posted: 29/12/2006 - 02:34

• exkhmer

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2006

Phnom Penh is the safest place in Cambodia, especially if you are a foreigner. You can wear whatever you like, just that Cambodia is a conservative country, even Prime Minister Hun Sen once in a while would criticize TV or news personalities about their clothings, too opens or revealings. Last year a well known Khmer female entertainer had to appologize to the nation after Hun Sen's criticism. After all Apsaras on the famous Angkor Wat are half naked. Have fun in Cambodia.

#3 Posted: 30/12/2006 - 04:37

• cathrionas

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

I was on my own and loved it (after the initial shock). The lake has all the backpacker action and one of the Kymers 'linked' to one of the guesthouses (NAk at Lazyfish) took me all over the place for $12/day on his moto. I stayed on lakeside playing pool a few nights watching the view, went to the river front a few times and spent a few hours enjoying the 2 for 1 cocktails at the Raffles bar on one night. My favourite place to stay was the Bondii Tree opposite the Genocide Museum. You would be fine in the pub/club scene places in a skimpier top but being on your own, be sensible (sorry for being mumsy). Have a great time.
    Cat

#4 Posted: 31/12/2006 - 14:40

• TheSnowQueen

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2006

I hate to inject a note of caution but three weeks ago, my hubbie narrowly dodged a couple of flying bullets on Sisowath Quay - and that was in broad daylight/afternoon! Ok, just bad luck to be caught in a robbery crossfire, but would certainly recommend sticking to well-lit areas and being tucked up before midnight (in any event, many places seem to close up unless you're part of the clubber/hostess bar scene.

#5 Posted: 3/2/2007 - 23:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.