Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Siem Reap to Bangkok overland: are there companies to book the entire journey?

• smillertime-

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2010

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello! So glad to hear the roads have been paved, etc :) as I need to get from Siem Reap to Bangkok (and hopefully to Ko Chang same-day!) in mid-March. Does anyone know if there are companies in either Phnom Penh or (preferably) Siem Reap that can help facilitate the entire journey, including border crossing? Or is it really that easy to do alone (and I am alone!)?

Alternatively, there was mention of a quick shared taxi trip; I assume this would be for only either the Cambodia OR Thailand portion of the journey. Is it relatively easy to grab a share?

Thanks for your help! The flight prices (eek!) are prohibitive, so I'm hoping to just be able to take care of it in one day :)

Best,
    Sarah

#1 Posted: 27/2/2011 - 18:03

• Advertisement

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    There is a sort of direct service to Bangkok from SR. It leaves SR about 8am and a large bus heads for the border. It will stop twice (not including stops for pickups) the last stop being 10 miles for the *""!!** border at the new 'International Passenger Terminal'. (This totally unnecessary stop is, I was told, because there are no stops on the Thai side and this is you last chance for food - despite plenty being available at the border. The stops on the Cambodian side make this a long journey!!)

You then get to the border and make your own way through immigration. You will be met on the other side and pick up a mini bus which goes when full; (this is the good bit as you don't have to wait for the large bus load of people to clear immigration, but it is a bit crammed).

The mini bus arrives in Khoa San Road about 5 or 6pm!!! All of this is in the cost of the one ticket which, sorry, I cant remember. Don't think you'll be able to get to Koh Chang the same day. Don't believe the arrival times of 2pm the ticket sellers claim!
    Have fun!

#2 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 01:20

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I haven't done it, but I don't believe you actually need to get to go back to Bkk before going to Koh Chang.

Here is an amusing (?!) account of one Travelfisher's account of their journey from Siem Reap to Koh Chang: http://savorygal.wordpress.com/2011/02/23/a-day-in-the-life/

Just know and accept that it's going to be a long journey, and prepare. Make sure your iPod is charged up, you have a book, pack your patience and let the journey begin. And enjoy a good stiff drink at the end!

Good luck!

#3 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 02:20

• smillertime-

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2010

Thanks for everyone's help! I actually decided to skip Ko Chang and head straight to Krabi from BKK the following morning (I have to fly to Bali anyway, so I'll fly from Phuket) :)

One raaaandom question...I already had a 30-day tourist visa which will have expired by the time I go back. Will I have any issues getting a new visa at the border? Or should I try to get another one in Phnom Penh (is there a cost difference)? I can show onward travel!!

Thanks again! Glad this won't be too much of a pain...not any more than I experienced in India, at least :)

#4 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 08:33

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You shouldn't have any problems, but be aware that you will need a new visa when you re-enter, and you will only a 14 day visa on arrival if you cross the border overland (30 days is if you arrive at the airport). I don't believe there is a cost with the overland visa. No need to organise in PP ahead of time if you plan to stay in Krabi for less than 14 days.

#5 Posted: 28/2/2011 - 12:06

• smillertime-

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2010

Perfect! Thanks for the reminder that the overland visa is shorter; fortunately (or unfortunately) I only have about 6 days total in Thailand before I have to leave for Bali, so it looks like everything will work out!

Thanks again for your help! Now I just need to get the ipod charged and a new set of books for the journey :)

#6 Posted: 1/3/2011 - 07:51

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

No probs.

One final hint: don't worry about bringing too many books. You will find plenty of second hand bookstores along the way plus people often leave their books at guest houses so you can drop one off and pick one up.

#7 Posted: 1/3/2011 - 07:57

• ikuri4eva

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2011

No problem in getting same-day from Siem Reap to Koh Chang, assuming it takes about an hour at the border in Poipet. Made a trip a few days ago and it took about 8 hours. Taxi from Siem Reap to Poipet 25 $, another taxi from Thai -side (right after immigration) to Koh Chang fixed price 2200 baht. No extrastops (unless you want one), no scam, no bull**it.

Okay, you can call it a cost if travelling alone, but if there are more of you, I can highly recommend it instead of sleazy promises of "travel,bus etc. companies.

Poipet border itself is easily manageable, does not matter which way you are going. Okay, U will face problems, if you fall in all promises given by people loitering on both sides of the border, but hey: Do you trust strangers back in your homecountry? If so, go ahead and pay extra, lose your nerves and waste your time waiting for bus, transportation, visa service, bus maintenance, shared minivan... The list is endless.

Punchline: Everybody who wants to help you or tells you he/she is responsible to get you over the border wants the share of your pile of cash.

#8 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 01:56

• ecbaker

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2011

I did the Siem Reap to Bkk this past fall and it was quite easy. What I regret is that I have no idea how to tell you what bus company I took...but they easily ushered us across the boarder and on to Bkk. I know we booked it at a place across from the night market in Siem Reap...simply asking around what people took from bkk to Siem Reap while you are there might be helpful (just find the company to book the return trip). I know that from Bkk to Krabi is yet another hike so be ready for a few days of straight travel. I will say, however, that if you are going to Krabi to check out Railay and Ton Sai! I don't know if this is your plan to begin with, but if it isn't for some reason, make it!!

#9 Posted: 30/3/2011 - 04:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bangkok - Siem Reap journey by land ( June 2010) ... By bakpakk on 5 Apr 2010 2 1588 9 Apr 2010
Bangkok to Siem Reap overland - updated ... By somtam2000 on 5 Aug 2009 15 9115 12 Sep 2009
Siem Reap to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Overland ... By boyohboy100 on 17 Nov 2010 1 4192 18 Nov 2010
Bangkok to Siem Reap overland with two young children ... By lolarosaliu on 19 Jan 2011 5 3542 22 Jan 2011
What I wish I knew before the BKK - Siem Reap journey.... ... By sunlover on 27 Jul 2007 0 2875 27 Jul 2007
Hue / Hoi An or Mekong - Siem Reap overland? ... By sunday_stroll on 19 Dec 2011 2 3757 19 Dec 2011
Overland - Vientiane to Siem Reap ... By mangie on 16 Nov 2006 19 39601 21 Oct 2011
Overland from Thailand to Siem Reap in rainy season ... By exacto on 12 Feb 2006 2 2724 14 Feb 2006
Phu Quoc - Siem Reap Overland- fast & cheap! ... By Isobel_123 on 9 Jan 2009 1 3510 9 Jan 2009
Flights between HCMC and Siem Reap - Book in advance or not? ... By lucyhudson on 27 Nov 2006 2 2189 4 Dec 2006