Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

North Eastern Cambodia

• NatalieP

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2011

Hello

I will be in Cambodia for 3 and half weeks – I would like to visit North Eastern part, how long should I allocate and where do you advise seeing?

I will be heading here from Phen Phom..this will be the last part of my travels and will need to head straight back to Bangkok.

Look forward to hearing from you
    Natalie

Any advice will be greatfully appreciated

#1 Posted: 9/3/2011 - 21:22

• Advertisement

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Kinda depends on if you want to allot time for a trek. And if you want to go to ratanakiri, mondulkiri or both. Generally i say head straight to Banlung with some days to work with and see how you like it. Some people enjoy it but only spend a few days there, others find it nice enough to stay much longer. If you're in the first category you go to Mondulkiri (either by roundabout bus or adventure bus) or go kick it in Kratie.

Love from Banlung
    'sheeed

Drop me a PM if you desire more specific info if you want...

#2 Posted: 10/3/2011 - 09:55

• Irahayes

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2011

I am currently sat at Encounters, Phnom Penh after having returned from a few days in Sen Monorom. How long you spend there and what you do there is basically down to how much you wish to spend. A couple of tips though:
    1: Don't go by Lonely Planet for reviews on the local guesthouses. Nature Lodge has upped their prices and i spoke to numerous people who said the room rates + food was way over priced for what it was, even given the location. Pech Kiri was nice, well the new units were, but the older single rooms were disgusting even by my low standards! The woman who runs it was clearly just after the tourist dollar, they are listed as having wi-fi for all guests but as i asked if they were the same price as Long Vibol (ie $5 per night) I was informed the net was not working. A fact proved wrong by a quick chat with other guests! Luckily these two places are not the only hostels there, though Lonely Planet needs to sort their listings out to account for the fact they are not offering what they claim to be. Long Vibol was good but a 10 min walk to the main street area was annoying. They also have mainly NGO ppl staying there but apart from that they were helpfull and friendly even though i only stayed there 1 night.
    2: Speak to Sor Phouen, his blog is http://mondulkirielephant.wordpress.com/ he runs Green House bar & Restaurant, speaks great English and is an absolute wealth of useful information about everything to do in and around Sen Monorom. If this guy ever gets the chance to start his own Guest house he'll take no end of business from the **listed** ones.
    oh and the waterfalls are not at their best atm being near the end of the dry season, but still well worth seeing, if nothing else a waterfall shower is worth the ride out!

#3 Posted: 10/3/2011 - 22:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.