Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

15 Days to do Laos and Cambodia

• mattbt

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hi Everyone,

My first post, So I'm heading to Bangkok on the 10th December staying for 3 nights then i have a spare 15 days till i have to be back in Bangkok on the 28th December to meet a friend. I want to see Laos and Cambodia but not got a clue on the best route or where to head first. Can anyone give me some tips or best routes to go. Any help appreciated guys.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 10/3/2011 - 17:16

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

The only thing I can advise is to choose 1 of the countries.
    Only if you fly you could visit Luang Prabang and Siem Reap. Distances are far too great to visit both countries overland in 2 weeks.

#2 Posted: 10/3/2011 - 19:36

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Yup. Pick one.

#3 Posted: 12/3/2011 - 10:38

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Matt,

With 15 days to spend, you won't be able to see all of both countries for sure. But I think there is still a way to get a good sample of each. Starting in Bangkok, I'd bus, train, or fly to Ubon, Thailand, which is not far from Laos. From there, I'd take the special international bus to Pakse in southern Laos and spend some time there. A few nearby options could include the Bolevans Plateau or Champassak and Wat Phu, which might be a great warm up for Angkor Wat.

After that, make your way down to Cambodia with a possible quick stopover at 4,000 Islands (Si Phan Don) and maybe one other place before heading to either Phnom Penh or Siem Reap and Angkor. For getting back to Bangkok, I'd either fly from Phnom Penh or taxi/bus it from Siem Reap.

You won't be able to visit all the places I mentioned, but you'll have time to pick out a few of them. You'll also spend a big chunk of those 15 days getting from place to place on that route too, but if you really wanted to see both countries, that is one way to do it. At least you'll be travelling by yourself, which makes getting around a bit easier in my experience.

One last thing. If you cross back into Thailand by land, you'll only get 15 days visa exemption at the border, so be sure that will be enough time for the rest of your plans or make arrangements to get an entry visa beforehand.

The good news is that you aren't going until December, which means you've got plenty of time to research this and any other suggestions you get. Have fun.

#4 Posted: 12/3/2011 - 11:57

• chocgirl

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2010

I would also suggest to pick one country. Siem Reap alone is good for at least 4 days.

#5 Posted: 17/3/2011 - 05:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.