Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Sihanoukville or Kep/Rabbit Island ?

• nickolt

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2010

Hello.

My bf and I are currentley in Siem Riep. We are planning to go to Battambang tomorrow, then on to PP. We were wondering what your thoughts are on sinoukville or kep&rabbit island. We were originally planning to go to Sihanoukville, but have come across a few travellers who have said its really sleezy, with lots of child prostituion evident, etc. We're not looking to party, just relax on some nice beaches, eat a few good meals. So where would you go if you had the choice? ALso, if anyone has any tips about Battambang or PP, let us know !

#1 Posted: 15/3/2011 - 10:44

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

For the things you've mentioned you should definitely head to Kep . Kep itself lacks any good beaches but has a great seaside atmosphere. For beach time & swimming you should head to Rabbit island or Angkaul beach.

Bear in mind though that the islands off the coast near Sihanoukville are beautiful and laid back as well. It's just the town itself that has the sleeze.

Kep has far better restaurants and nicer guesthouses. A bit pricier though. If you're on a tight budget you should opt for staying in Kampot and make a day trip to Kep.

Having said all that: I live in Kep and am definitely biased

#2 Posted: 15/3/2011 - 11:44

• Chromerider

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 29

I just got back from Cambodia and found Sihanouk to be a very cool place to go.I heard the same stories as you have heard and saw nothing even resembling,child prostitution.I had have taken notice of all the things I heard about Cambodia,before I went for a 5 and a half week back-packing trip there,I would never have gone.I found all of Cambodia to be a lovely place,especially the locals.I will admit that sleazy things may happen,but it is not obvious.The people that said that must be walking around with a magnifying glass.Just go,you will enjoy it.N.B. A 55yr old man with 22 year old Khmer 5 foot tall,girl,is not child prostitution.

#3 Posted: 15/3/2011 - 15:29

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We've got a bunch of new stuff for four islands offshore from Sihanoukville coming online. Should be on the site tomorrow, just the intros are on at the moment for Koh Rong Koh Rong Saloem Koh Ta Kiev and Koh Thmei -- enjoy!

#4 Posted: 15/3/2011 - 15:33

• nickolt

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2010

wow, both koh rong and koh rong saloem look amazing. sontam2000, did you have a preference between the two ?? are the accomadations better on one than the other ?

#5 Posted: 17/3/2011 - 18:02

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Koh Tonsay and Koh Rong are both great choices! Whether you choose Kep or Sihanoukville, I'd definitely recommend checking out the islands. For the time being at least, they are some of Cambodia's biggest highlights for those in the know.

#6 Posted: 17/3/2011 - 18:53

• C

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

OTRES BEACH!!

We have been traveling for 4 months and have never found a more perfect beach. The accommodation is cheap - about $10 and the food incredible. Its remote enough to feel like you are on an island, but if you feel the need to go into town its only a 15 min moto ride away.
    We are cutting our 3 month stay in Vietnam short to get back there! We stayed at Lim Hour Guest House, it was incredible and the food! I dream of their full English Breakfasts!

sunsetsandhandbags.wordpress.com

#7 Posted: 17/3/2011 - 19:51

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

Koh Rong and Koh Rong Saloem are both gorgeous. There is cheaper accommodation on KR, but also more people there. KRS is quieter and more romantic (Lazy Beach, anyway) whereas KR is better for meeting people. Both are lovely and both are still very quiet compared to the islands in Thailand. You'd be happy at either.

I'd also add that although Sihanoukville has a seedy side, the islands do not, at all.

#8 Posted: 21/3/2011 - 15:53

• Ova

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2012

Yeah, based on your description, I would totally recommend Kep and rabbit Island. Much quieter and best to enjoy the quietness and relaxing sound of the sea!

#9 Posted: 23/4/2013 - 05:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Accommodation on Rabbit island? ... By Sampan on 2 Jan 2012 2 4561 26 Jan 2012