Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Best bus company from S. Reap to Bangkok ?!

• pdr_ml

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2011

Anyone who's done Siem Reap - Bangkok on a bus ?! What's the best company to book with and how long does it take ?! Cheers guys.

#1 Posted: 15/3/2011 - 14:03

• Advertisement

• chocgirl

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2010

Avoid Hong Tep company, based out of Poipet.

I made this journey less than a week ago. We were eleven people for a 10 seat mini van. The driver promised it would only be 5 km and then we could transfer to a bigger bus, but we got on our way and then he just said we were going straight to the border in the mini van anyway. He added that there were many, many more tourists in Siem Reap and it was not his problem.

The border - Bangkok leg was much better, plenty of space and we were met at the border by a much friendlier man. It all just seemed a lot more professional.

#2 Posted: 17/3/2011 - 05:06

• chocgirl

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2010

As for how long it takes, we left Siem Reap at 12:30 PM, were at the border by 3:45 PM or so and by 4:30 PM I had crossed the border and was in the mini van. We had some delays on the way to Bangkok, due to gas shortages, and arrived at Khao San just before 9 PM.

#3 Posted: 17/3/2011 - 05:09

• pdr_ml

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2011

Thanks chocgirl ... Unfortunately I have booked with them :( I just saw your msg now . I will leave at 6AM tomorrow morning. Wish me luck !

#4 Posted: 17/3/2011 - 08:15

• chocgirl

Joined Travelfish
    9th March, 2010

Pdr_ml, I guess you are in Bangkok by now and hopefully your trip was uneventful.

Maybe part of the reason my trip was less than satisfactory was that I chose to go in the afternoon when there are not as many people as on the morning buses at 6 AM (and 8 AM) and I am hoping your experience was therefore different from mine.

On the Thai leg of the journey they asked where we wanted to be dropped of in Bangkok (several options), even if officially the bus goes to Khao San.

#5 Posted: 19/3/2011 - 21:31

• pdr_ml

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hey choc girl,

The trip wasn't so bad .. but there's plenty of room to improve. I would advise everyone else to look out for other companies.

We got on a mini van from S Reap to the border, and from there to another mini van to Bangkok. No choice of drop off location was given to us. The mini van was full, and very uncomfortable as there were no leg room ! We left at 6:15AM and arrived in BKK at 14:40 !

Would I do it again with the same company ?! No !

#6 Posted: 19/3/2011 - 21:48

• adenylo

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2011

I would strongly advise to stay away from Hong Tep bus company. My sister and I booked with them for the Siem Reap to Bangkok trip (leaving at 6:30am) and had a terrible experience. They overbooked, and did not have enough space in the minivan for all the passengers on the second leg from Aran to Bangkok. We were told to get out of the van and wait for the next van that was supposedly coming in 10 min (which was then changed to 20 min). Needless to say, we did not believe another van was coming for us. When we persisted and started asking why we were the only ones left to wait, the guy helping with the transfer pretended not to understand us and stopped speaking (although he seemed to understand English fine before this happened). After insisting that we needed to get on the first mini-van, they made another lady (a local) get out and managed to free half a seat by rearranging the luggage--which we had to hold back the entire trip as it was stacked so high. The ride was extremely uncomfortable for everyone--extremely tight with no leg room.
    I would strongly advise to stay away from Hong Tep. Save yourself the trouble and opt for the taxi to Poipet, followed by public bus to Bangkok. If there's more than one person traveling, the cost works out to about the same. Would definitely choose this route if had to do it again.

#7 Posted: 30/11/2011 - 18:47

• asia4life

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2011
    Location Sweden
    Places visited:
    At least 111

Posted from within Vietnam.

There is also fixed price on Taxi from border to Bangkok. last year 2100 baht, and then you go immediately and are dropped exactly where you wished. So if your time is more important than your budget, use taxi.

If not, follow the advice from adenylo above, go by public bus. What ever you do, never use the minibus service!

#8 Posted: 8/12/2011 - 02:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.