Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Lakeside,Phnom Penh

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Just like to put everybody right on what is happenning at Lakeside,Phnom Penh.
    The articles and advice on this site are way out of date.
    As far as I know the only guesthouses still operating are #10 and Simon's.I saw them drag the remainder of the infamous #9 away about 1 month ago.The place where it was is now a little outdoor cafe/bar (sort of) selling drinks and with a refreshing breeze from what remains of the Lake, though the thick clouds of ganja smoke means it's difficult to actually get fresh air.
    A lot of the little restaurants are still open; BKM and Green Room(I think it's room but it's definitely starts with green and the interior certainly is.)This place does excellent pizzas and spaghetti.Also Ali's place, Falafel is stil doing Middle Eastern food but for me the best deal must be across from Falafel where Mama (Vietnamese lady) is still doing an eat all you like with chicken curry,veg,chapatis,rice,fruit salad,water and a beer for $3.It's the only place I can say has never given me stomach problems.She's also great for all the local gossip if you can understand her pidgin English.
    :-)

#1 Posted: 24/3/2011 - 17:46

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks for the update - have a complete update of Pp starting shortly.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 25/3/2011 - 04:59

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

haha the "Mama" place, loved that one! must have been there for like 3 or 4 times. so damn cheap and the curry's are amazing!

haven't been to cambodia for a while but if mama is still there, the Drunken frog guesthouse will still be open as well. I loved this guesthouse a lot as a some of the travelers seem to have problems finding it. would love to go back and say hi to the people but ain't got no time.

It's really sad to see what's happening with the lakeside, It was such a good place to relax and don't do anything.

#3 Posted: 25/3/2011 - 16:05

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

Just got a message that there is another march today against the govt landgrab.Basically for those who aren't aware the govt have offered $8000 for each owner regardless of size and some of those buildings have to be worth in excess of $50,000 !
    Don't tnink the Frog is open anymore but The Magic Sponge is back in business with an Aussie and american co-tenants.Unfortunately the place has got an epidemic of fleas and could do with a fumigation.

#4 Posted: 25/3/2011 - 20:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phnom Penh-Siem Reap-Phnom Penh ... By CaptainJack on 1 Mar 2014 1 1402 2 Mar 2014