Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Cambodia Budget

• drutherford

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2007

Hi everyone,

We are planning on visiting Cambodia in June for approx 5 days. We are going to be on a shoestring backpacker budget but we would like to see the highlights and visit recommended towns/attractions.

With this in mind, could anybody give me a rough idea what our budget should be? I have no idea of costs of accom/transport/entries etc.

Thanks in advance
    Debbie

#1 Posted: 5/1/2007 - 10:42

• Advertisement

• BUCKSBLOKE35

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2006

Hi debbie
    i went to cambodia twice last year and money wasnt really an issue,but i still spent very little.you didnt say if you were travelling in by land or flying.i would recomend air asia,i flew one way from bangkok for about 20 pounds and one way from kuala lumpur for about 30 pounds.
    on arrival at phnom penh airport the visa is $20 us.
    cab to city centre is fixed at $7,tuk tuk is $2 i think.
    you can get a room from a couple of dollars upto a couple of hundred a night.i would recomend somewhere on the riverfront,more expensive but miles nicer.i stayed at the california 2 guest house,they have there own website.owned by an american called jim,very helpful bloke.
    food is cheap and beer is'nt much more.
    to see the temples of angkor the bus to siem reap costs from about $5-$10,depending on the standard.the more expensive ones pick you up from your hotel,have a toilet and give you a drink and snack.
    on arrival at siem reap bus station,its a very rowdy place but dont worry the rest of town is not like that,tuk tuk drivers offer to take you to your guesthouse for free,they want to be your driver to the temples over the coming days.
    accomadation is cheaper here,and loads of choice.
    food and drink is cheaper too.
    temples are a bit expensive,but worth it.one day $20,3 days $40 and a week is $60.
    tuk tuk about $10 a day
    lastly bus to bangkok is around $12.

hope this helps

tony

#2 Posted: 6/1/2007 - 06:52

• drutherford

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2007

This is brilliant, thanks so much Tony. I really appreciate your reply, it has really helped. Was your $ figures in US or Aus?

The plan at this stage is to fly into Hanoi, then travel overland down Vietnam, through Cambodia and then into Thailand. So the Cambodia section will be done by bus/train/tuktuk etc. Do you know roughly the price of a bus from Saigon into Phnom Pen? How often does the transport run to main cities, is it daily (and on a reasonably reliable schedule)? Do you think 5 days is enough to see the highlights?

Cheers again :-)
    Debbie

#3 Posted: 6/1/2007 - 15:39

• BUCKSBLOKE35

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2006

Hi
    prices were us dollars.
    saigon to phnom penh bus is under $10,not sure exactly.
    buses to siem reap go about every hour,it takes 6 hours with a lunch stop.buses to the more remote places run at least once a day.
    5 days will be enough to see phnom penh and the temples at angkor,but not much else.siem reap to bangkok is a 10-14 hour journey so u will loose a day doing that,its a bumpy journey until the border than its proper roads in thailand.
    as for train travel in cambodia....dont.......it takes forever,much slower than buses,not many destinations are served by rail and its wooden bench seats,sore bum,dirty and the carriages dont even have windows,just shutters.a great way to meet the locals though.
    hope this helps

tony

#4 Posted: 6/1/2007 - 21:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.