Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Impact of 22 April 2011 Clashes on Tourism

• Boulos

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2011

Hi guys,

I am/was planning to travel to Vietnam and Cambodia, but because of the clashes of the recent days, I might be planning to drop down Cambodia and travel to Vietnam and Laos instead.

1- Do you think there will be security threats in Cambodia? (mainly in Phnom Penh and Siem reap)
    2- I will travel to Bangkok first, from there, and considering the recent clashes, do you advise me to travel by bus or plane to Phnom Penh?
    3- Do you think that the clashes of the recent days might disturb the flights between Thailand and Cambodia?

I was planning to my tickets today, and now I am a bit confused about the transport and safety to/in Cambodia or whether I should not go there and visit Laos instead

I look forward to hearing from you soon guys!!

Cheers

Boulos

#1 Posted: 26/4/2011 - 22:56

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

It's a shame if you miss Cambodia over this.Believe me there will be no threat to your safety.The clashes are up in the very North of Cambodia bordering Surin province in N.E.Thailand.You most likely won't be going up there and if you tried, believe me you would be sent back by either army before you got near any fighting.The main borders are stilll open i.e. Poipet, Koh Kong so you can travel by bus and AirAsia is still flying.In fact I'll be on the flight from Bangkok to PP a week Thursday and I really don't anticipate any trouble.

#2 Posted: 26/4/2011 - 23:59

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

F'real. As above.

#3 Posted: 27/4/2011 - 00:33

• fox80

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2010

We crossed the Poipet to Siem Reap border 3 days ago with no problems. Everything went smoothly, and we traveled independently from Bangkok by train. Ok maybe the fact that the train engine broke down 40km from the border and we had to catch the local bus which delayed us a bit... but that's part of the adventure, I suppose. I was monitoring the Bangkok Post website and travel advise forums (both Australia and UK) when I heard about the clashes again and the tourist advise did not change. Of course, going to that specific region is out of question. HTH :)

#4 Posted: 27/4/2011 - 18:29

• Boulos

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2011

Thanks a lot for your feedback !

#5 Posted: 28/4/2011 - 05:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Sneak preview Gringo Trails. An excellent film about tourism impact ... By somtam2000 on 2 May 2014 1 534 3 May 2014