Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Help greatly appreciated! Cambodia/Laos - 2 months

• JarrodPace

Joined Travelfish
    10th April, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi all

I am planning to spend a month in Cambodia followed by a month in Laos later this year (Oct/Nov). Bangkok is where I will fly into and out of the region. I would like to find a balance between seeing as much as I can in these two countries whilst not rushing through every town.

I have never travelled before, let alone to the region, so I was wondering if anyone experienced would be able to suggest a good route to take for this trip and which places are good to spend a little time in and which are not that worthwhile.

Thanks heaps.

#1 Posted: 7/5/2011 - 13:35

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Best to check first this site or some guidebook to see what attractions fit your interests. Assuming that you go overland from Cambodia to Laos it would be natural to start on the coast in the south and work your way up north. It is however a small country and with most trips only taking half a day from Phnom Penh you would have the freedom to mix it up.

In 1 month you can see almost all places of interest to the average tourist/backpacker.
    In general Cambodia doesn't have that many "must see" things, apart from Angkor Wat, so take it easy and stay longer in a place if you like it.
    The "must see/do" things (few sights in Phnom Penh, a coastal town and Siem reap) can be done in roughly 2 weeks.

Fill the rest in according to your interests

#2 Posted: 7/5/2011 - 17:46

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Worthwhile to me, not worthwhile to you. Guidebook it, plan a general itinerary. Get here and don't be afraid to scrap the itinerary.

'sheeed

#3 Posted: 11/5/2011 - 13:04

• morningsun

Joined Travelfish
    17th May, 2011

I have never been to Laos, but have spend a lot of time in Cambodia and I'm visiting for the 4th time in July.

My highlights were - Siem Reap, for the community projects, the restaurants, the beautiful rice fields and countryside sunsets and the temples

Phnom Penh - it's so fast paced and crazy!

Sihanoukville for a seaside escape not ruined by high rise buildings and concrete

Other really worthwhile areas to consider:-

Mondulkiri/Ratanikiri for the lush unspoilt jungle
    Kratie - for the Irrawady Dolphins
    Kampot/Kep - for sleepy seaside towns and delicious fresh seafood (and Bokor Hill Station if open)

If you want any recommendations on places to stay etc, send me a message. I have a friend whose second home is Laos if you'd like to know more about that too :)

#4 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 11:14

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Rasheed's advice is very useful - plan it, then be prepared to deviate from your plans. Until you arrive, you won't know how tired the travelling will make you, or how long it will take you to adjust to the new culture. Allow yourself time to wander around and soak up the atmosphere without constantly checking your watch. You'll meet plenty of people in guesthouses and en route who can make recommendations to you and share their experiences. And don't be afraid to go off the beaten track of tourists and find your own special places. Asia is generally safe and relatively easy, provided you bring a big dose of common sense in your backpack. Enjoy!

#5 Posted: 18/5/2011 - 19:51

• emily2310

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2011

Hey, I am off travelling in Oct, I am planning on doing some volunteering in Cambodia. I will have roughly 7 weeks to do North Thailand and Vietnam, then 3 weeks work in Cambodia, as am meeting friends in Thailand for Xmas. Is this enough time to see everything, as if it isn't I can volunteer in Thailand instead.

Thanks Em. x

#6 Posted: 15/6/2011 - 01:39

• morningsun

Joined Travelfish
    17th May, 2011

Hi Emily

I can recommend an awesome project to volunteer with in Cambodia. They are called KidsCareCambodia-AranhVillage. I'm not sure if we can add websites so google it? It is run by an Australian girl and her Cambodian partner. He does most of the ground work as he lives in the village, and does it all voluntarily, his only income coming from driving tourists around town and the temples in his Tuk Tuk.

It is community based in a village, and they also work in conjunction with other NGO's in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

#7 Posted: 15/6/2011 - 05:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Help greatly appreciated! Cambodia/Laos - 2 months ... By JarrodPace on 7 May 2011 3 1807 8 May 2011
First timer...you advice greatly appreciated! ... By JustBreathe on 12 Oct 2012 2 1430 13 Oct 2012
First time in South East Asia, itinerary for 3 weeks! Any advice greatly appreciated! ... By Pixa2012 on 14 Jan 2012 7 15249 12 Feb 2012
Laos and Cambodia Trip - planning stages - comments appreciated! ... By Jacster on 12 Aug 2006 12 2922 17 Aug 2006
Itinerary advice needed for Cambodia, laos and Thailand - any thoughts much appreciated! ... By hjbvet on 27 Oct 2010 4 3199 31 Oct 2010
2 months in SÊ-Asia - feedback on trip details much appreciated! ... By Seba on 30 Sep 2009 8 2604 2 Oct 2009