Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Free volunteer work in Cambodia

• Phoenix66

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2011

Hi,

I'm planning to go to Cambodia sometime in September or October and was thinking of doing some volunteer work. I could be wrong but the most popular (and probably) rewarding work there seems to be teaching English or working in orphanages so I'd like to do that. I've found quite a few websites that offer this but they all charge at least £150 a week which seems like a rip off right? Therefore, I'd be really grateful if anyone knew of any organisations that were cheaper or ideally free, or at least tell me if £150 + is worth it?

Thanks,

Phoenix66

#1 Posted: 15/5/2011 - 17:46

• Advertisement

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

Check out SCAO, a children's centre outside of Phnom Penh. They don't charge volunteers for volunteering, but they do ask people to cover their food and accommodation costs. You would need to be prepared for basic living, and to make sure you are contributing to the children's education, do some research on English teaching before you go, or even better, take a course. They would also find teaching computer skills very useful.

http://www.savechildreninasia.org/

#2 Posted: 16/5/2011 - 02:56

• Rita00

Joined Travelfish
    11th May, 2011

Aside from a possible rip off there are other reasons to be sceptical about expensive volunteer programmes. I think it's fair to cover your own living expenses but now that 'volountourism' has become popular I have read a lot of criticism about unscrupulous volunteer agencies that exploit volunteers to make a profit rather than be of benefit to the area. Do extensive research before you sign up for anything . I'm not saying all are and I'm sure there are many programs that can be rewarding to the volunteer and beneficial to local people, just beware of bad ones.

#3 Posted: 16/5/2011 - 17:45

• Seby_C

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2011

I agree very much with the above points Rita00. There are many agencies out there who are in it for themselves, almost working like estate agents or recruitment agents 'selling' the next big humanitarian crisis or poverty stricken region and thus the next volunteer opportunity.

I would like to add something else though. There are very few people who will ever actually go to the heart of this debate. I know of an organization who offers 100% free volunteering teaching in rural schools across the Siem Reap province. In fact I worked for them, and it's only in hindsight I regret having done so. I even volunteered for 2 months in one of 'their' schools, before joining them as an employee. That was 2 years ago, yet I still live in Cambodia and would certainly not recommend the organization who 'own' schools and send in useless teenagers to their schools, and would like to suggest the following is considered before volunteering here.

- Do you have any first-hand knowledge of the culture, customs, and etiquette of the place you will go to volunteer? If not, can you hear and understand the needs, long and short term, of the locals... that is... what THEY want, not what YOU think they NEED?
    - Do you have specific skills you can bring to the communities, that will be useful for their future self empowerment to lead their own dignified lives and make change from within their communities?
    - Does painting a school building improve education?
    - Can you offer a long volunteer stint? If not, will a succession of volunteers who get close to the kids then leave benefit the children's emotional development... or affirm that they are poor and their lives the subject of passers by?
    - Would you want a similar scenario taking place were it YOUR children?

I simply ask people think harder before coming to volunteer here. Cambodia is a special place, and I am not denying that there are positives of volunteering (for the right organization who has really thought things through!), nor the wonderful fact that in this world there are people like you who are willing to travel responsibly and want to give something back. But I believe we need to wake up and think before heading to an unknown land about our impact. If we do deduce that it might not be useful, STILL COME to cambodia by all means, but learn about the country and make informed decisions about where and how to get involved. There are needs here, but we need to work together to empower these people, not belittle the teachers in the countryside by storming into their classes and showing them how to do the ABC for the hundredth time while they sit quietly in a corner.
    Please take a look at the following links, and please understand that this is purely in the interest of Cambodia that I say this - I have no doubt whatsoever by the fact that you want to volunteer you have the compassion to want to give something back and make changes - I simply ask that you think it through before committing to anything, as I say to anyone looking to volunteer here. Feel free to contact me and I will do my best to help from here on the ground!
    Best of luck
    Peace

http://lessonsilearned.org/2009/12/more-orphanage-tourism-no/
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/nov/14/orphans-cambodia-aids-holidays-madonna

#4 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 00:15

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

Students don't learn English when teachers come in and out for two week stints. They learn the same things over and over again (count to 10!) but never get a deeper understanding of the language. Imagine if your whole childhood education was taught by substitute teachers. Many schools and "orphanages" use volunteers to avoid hiring permanent teachers.

Read this: Before you pay to volunteer abroad, think of the harm you might do

You don't need to do phony volunteer work in order to come to Cambodia and have a wonderful visit. Trust me, where you live there are homeless or poverty-stricken people that are in desperate need of services. If people were as enthusiastic about doing volunteer work in their own home-towns as they are about doing it in Cambodia, the world would be a better place.

#5 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 10:50

• Rasheeed

Click here to learn more about Rasheeed
    Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2010
    Location Cambodia

I like petting orphans.

#6 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 10:59

• Phoenix66

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2011

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for all of your brilliant responses so far, I really appreciate it as I didn't know exactly how to go about getting volunteer work. I should have said that I'm planning to do the work for between 6 to 8 weeks which may help to narrow down which places I should try.

I also wanted thanks to Seby_C as I have to say that I'd never thought about what impact my volunteer work would have on the kids out there. It's a good point that maybe they won't learn much from you if you're not there for long. Apart from working with kids, I'd also be happy to do other things like teaching computer skills or doing admin work. I'm open to ideas. I also wondered how I would go about getting the proper visa. I assume I'll need some work of work visa?
    Thanks again for all your replies so far :)

#7 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 01:23

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

Phoenix66, do you volunteer or work with children at home?

#8 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 11:22

• Phoenix66

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2011

No I don't, which may not help matters I know!!
    Having thought a bit more about things, I'm now planning to volunteer for say between 4 to 6 weeks as my time will be quite limited.
    Also, do you need a special visa in order to do volunteer work or would a normal one be ok?

#9 Posted: 29/5/2011 - 17:48

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

So what exactly are your qualifications for working with children?

I realize your intentions are good, but these hug-an-orphan Cambodian vacations are ultimately bad for Cambodian children, many of whom are put in orphanages BECAUSE of this sort of tourism.

Orphanage Tourism in Cambodia

http://goodintents.org/orphanages/hug-an-orphan-vacations-2

#10 Posted: 29/5/2011 - 19:40

• Advertisement

• Phoenix66

Joined Travelfish
    15th May, 2011

Well the bottom line is none I guess. As I said in my original post, I just got the impression that most volunteer work in Cambodia would be to do with teaching kids. That's why I thought I should ask around about it. From what you and others are saying though, this doesn't seem like such a good idea after all and I'm having a rethink now about what kind of work I should do. As I said, I just wanted to volunteer and do something useful but I would be happy to not work with kids and to maybe do admin work or just teach some computer skills to people. Thanks a lot for the websites you posted, they're real eye openers. Makes me realise that I was probably quite naive I guess in trying to get volunteer work with kids. Never thought about the impact on them, wow.
    Are there any more ethical short term volunteer projects that you would recommend then? Conservation maybe?

#11 Posted: 29/5/2011 - 20:01

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

Phoenix66, it would be good to think about what your real motivations are.

Is it to help Cambodians?
    To have something to put on your CV when you get back?
    To have an excuse to stay in Cambodia and learn about the country?
    To impress your friends and family?

If it's number one, most of the volunteer work you might do won't actually make any impact. I know it's sad to hear this and you probably won't believe me, but most organizations don't need volunteer unless you have really specific skills. Admins are paid $3/day, so why do they need you to spend $1,000 on a plane ticket to come volunteer as an admin? The reason organizations take volunteers is not because the work you do will make an impact, but because people who volunteer often end up giving money to the organization or getting their friends and family to give them money. So you really aren't going to help Cambodians unless it's through monetary donations. Coming to Cambodia as a tourist and hiring local guides, staying in locally-owned places and eating locally will help Cambodia more than a month in an orphanage will.

If you're just looking to pad out your CV or impress your friends with Facebook status updates etc., then I guess it doesn't really matter what you do. I'd still say stay away from kids organizations because they really do perpetuate the problem. Most places will be just as impressed that you had the courage to travel by yourself rather than have an agent place you in a sham volunteer situation.

If you're looking for an excuse to stay in Cambodia for a while, be brave! You don't need one. Just come and stay and learn about the country. It's possible to have an amazing, informative experience where you learn about the culture without volunteering. Do a research project or just stay here and soak up the culture.

It's very easy to think that just because we come from Western countries we can swoop in and fix things here because we are so much more skilled than the locals. But in reality, that's not true and that's not how it works and volunteers end up taking jobs away from locals who desperately need them. For those of us who have volunteered in Cambodia, most of us came away feeling like we did not make a difference and wishing we had known more before we came.

Here is some more reading for you:

Specifically about volunteering in Cambodia: http://goodintents.org/staffing-or-employment/voluntourism-what-could-go-wrong

Guidelines for voluntourism:
    http://goodintents.org/volunteering-overseas/guideline-1-for-volunteering-overseas
    http://goodintents.org/volunteering-overseas/guideline-2-for-volunteering-overseas
    http://goodintents.org/volunteering-overseas/guideline-3-for-volunteering-overseas
    http://goodintents.org/volunteering-overseas/guideline-4-for-volunteering-overseas

#12 Posted: 31/5/2011 - 15:14

• AbigailatPe-
    nhandInk

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    9th November, 2010
    Location United Kingdom

................ To answer your question about visas, just get a business (or think it's now called 'normal') visa when you arrive, which can be renewed indefinitely. A tourist visa will only give you one month plus one month extension. Whatever your reason for visiting Cambodia, if you think you'll be more than 8 weeks, it makes sense to spend the extra $5.

I'm staying away from the value of volunteering debate, but agree that the better informed we are, the better choices we can make. I still visit the children's centre I volunteered at (as a qualified English teacher) and regularly see the kids as I only live a short ride away. The kids live in a family-like environment with loving adults, are not kept away from family members and are getting opportunities I believe they wouldn't have otherwise. For me, that works. However, there are very interesting issues raised by the article links posted, thanks!

#13 Posted: 31/5/2011 - 21:11

• Seby_C

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2011

Giblet – those four questions – if they could be posed and explained so well to all volunteers coming to volunteer here, or pop up on google as some kind of ‘WARNING! …or… ADVICE!’(if only!) people would be inspired to think hard about their impact before arriving, and that could solve so many problems before they even start.

And Phoenix66, if every potential volunteer / human being was courageous and humble enough as you to return to this debate and admit having questioned their initial intentions and thus come out with a different perspective, that could equally solve so many problems regarding this subject. The same could be said for many NGOs and their employees too.

This is nothing personal, as I said in my first post, but as giblet challenges it does sound like you have your heart set on following the volunteer route. And who would blame you, I mean if you google Volunteer in Cambodia it’s just obvious with all this poverty and starvation and the thousands of people beckoning you here, that you are desperately needed. This is not true. Sure, skilled volunteers or EXPERTS are often needed, but you say you have a month. What computer skills can you teach in a month that a Cambodian cannot, and then how could you follow up after you leave? Continual negative media, supported by NGOs who 'survive' based on promoting this negative media in Cambodia and indeed the world, often paints a one-sided picture that Cambodia needs western help. No, Cambodians want to be leaders, and they already are and will have plenty more, and Cambodians will lead Cambodia into the future. That's their right, and there is actually SO MUCH positive stuff going on here… visit cambodia and learn about that! All the NGOs (that’s an understatement – 3000+ and counting, and goodness knows how many extended holidaymakers who have adopted their ‘own schools’ which they ‘work with’ unregulated until it all gets too much) saying they are ‘lending a hand’, ‘helping them with the first step’ or ‘giving them the intellectual tools’ when actually they are taking over with western ideals will just continue to create a mental poverty in the psyche of Cambodians that they are poor, because they are from Cambodia. If foreign interveners continue to label this country as so desperately vulnerable and get involved at every stage when Cambodians are doing things their way, successfully (and development takes a long time, wherever you are from, however skilled you are), NGOs will thwart their own development and we risk creating an entire population who will resign themselves to this mentality of being a ‘poor Cambodian’. We should be nurturing and encouraging creativity and positivity, freedom of expression, confidence, ambition. All of us on this planet can display these qualities and feelings, but where will those in developing countries direct this if we keep labelling them as so poor they will only get anywhere with Western help.

That said, there are some fantastic NGOs out there; in my experience they are usually the smaller ones where the protagonists are Cambodian staff, or a mix of both Cambodians and Westerners at all levels. From my experience, if they are the better NGOs (and what is a good NGO is very subjective and only my opinion) they will likely meet and discuss what they do, and Cambodia and what they know about the country, with anyone who takes a genuine interest. It may turn out that could lead to a worthwhile volunteer role, but it likely will not. Perhaps I have digressed from the volunteering debate specifically, but unresearched and uninformed volunteering choices, even with the best intentions play a key part in perpetuating Cambodia's problems. Whatever happens, don’t volunteer until you learn about the country first, and if you do decide to volunteer do your research thoroughly on any organization you are considering volunteering with. They should answer your questions. If they don’t... very bad start.
    Best of luck with whateveryou decide.

#14 Posted: 31/5/2011 - 21:47

• onlyincambo-
    dia

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2011

Consider checking out the organization ConCERT Cambodia which can connect you to legitimate organizations with specific needs depending on your skill set and length of time.

click here

It has loads of information on its website about responsible tourism and responsible volunteering. It works in Siem Reap only.

It is important to note that volunteering in orphanages, schools or children's centers for less than 3 months is NOT appropriate. As has been mentioned before, it's inappropriate to just drop in and out of children's lives. Can you do that back home in your country?

It's time to begin re-thinking this idea of voluntourism and that that only way to help in Cambodia is by playing with kids or teaching English. It's not the kids who need the help, it's the adults who need the mentoring and training to improve their skills so they can be better teachers and whatever else.

It's time to stop thinking that the only way to volunteer is with children. If you improve the opportunities for adults, then they will do a better job of taking care of the children.

#15 Posted: 18/7/2011 - 14:20

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

#16 Posted: 29/7/2011 - 14:19

• Tom_gdg

Joined Travelfish
    23rd October, 2012

Serb_c I just want to say i really like what you and giblet are saying and I 100% agree. Im planning on travelling to Cambodia for the first time next year to spend 3months there (hopefully more). Im hoping to do some volunteer work myself but having great difficulty finding placements which offer something different to a 2 week teaching placement for ridiculous prices. I really hate the thought of doing something and blindly thinking i'm making a difference of some kind when really i'm not. I plan on having money with me to donate and really would like to put it somewhere were it counts. I'd be much more interested in building work and community projects rather than teaching. The idea of living in a rural community i really like and would like to help whilst staying. do you think this is possible?
    I just wanted to know anything you would suggest to me which matches up with what i'm saying as i'm having trouble finding it myself.

#17 Posted: 23/10/2012 - 22:28

• linden51

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Hi Phoenix66.

Check out the following link to the wiki which I have been (painfully, slowly) compiling for free/low-cost volunteering in SE Asia. The Cambodian page is the most populated so far, so you're in luck. Hopefully, you'll get a few leads there.

[ulist][li]http://volunteersoutheastasia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Volunteer_Cambodia[/li][/ulist]

#18 Posted: 1/12/2012 - 22:36

• marcodepolo

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2012

On a different type of volunteering, probably less controversial, the people from the FootPrints organization are welcoming help to improve the quality of life of the 100+ animals at the Teuk Chhou zoo in Kampot. Their aim is to transform the zoo into a wildlife education park and they do have a lot of work on their hands.

Check out their website here for more detail info http://teukchhou.com/

#19 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 01:27

• linden51

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2009

I have upgraded my site to Wordpress and am currently populating the Cambodia sections. At present it is merely a directory though I do wish to eventually include reference to the debate - as above - re the ethics, efficacy and attendant reponsibilities of volunteering in these contexts.

#20 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 05:37

• expatInsura-
    nce

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2013

I fail to understand this concept of volunteers being asked to pay for doing some good work. This is crazy, insane and illogical. Ideally volunteers should be paid a small stipend to help them survive there, instead of other way around. This aboutasiaschools appear to be a nice platform for volunteers, as it appears to be free. http://www.aboutasiaschools.org/

#21 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 23:49

• giblet

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2010

You might find this article interesting:

By now it's becoming widely recognized that short-term volunteering is not an effective solution to Cambodia's problems and in fact may do more harm than good.

http://www.movetocambodia.com/working-in-cambodia/volunteering-in-cambodia

#22 Posted: 17/1/2013 - 23:58

• linden51

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2009

I tend to agree 'giblet'. A significant majority of the orgs. I am posting to my site are signalling a preference for long-term over short term candidates. One to three months at least allows for some sense of continuity if not demonstrating genuine commitment.

#23 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 00:08

• linden51

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2009

#24 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 00:21

• linden51

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2009

Re post #19.

I have been informed by Footprints that they have had to relinquish their involvement with the rehabilitation of the zoo at Teak Chou. No explanation was given. - Michael

#25 Posted: 7/2/2013 - 01:08

• taorathey

Joined Travelfish
    28th December, 2012

Let me make something clear from the beginning. I don't care about your heartfelt desires to contribute to a country. I care about the Cambodians who may suffer from your good intentions. Leave them alone, do-gooders have done enough damage already. Leave them alone, leave money and then leave.

#26 Posted: 7/2/2013 - 05:08

• Bushwaker

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2013

Important to read this article ifconsidering volunteering (it focuses on Cambodia, but relevant to allcountries):

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/peopleandpower/2012/05/201252243030438171.html

This is in no way meant to deter anyonefrom helping and volunteering - there are great projects out there.
    Just do your homework, consider the impactof short stays on children who easily get attached to "new friends"and generally, make sure the operations are legit and have the children's bestinterests at heart.

DO YOUR HOMEWORK ; )

#27 Posted: 19/2/2013 - 16:36

• linden51

Joined Travelfish
    8th January, 2009

I agree.You can't tar them all with the same brush. That is detrimental to the ability of the legitimate NGOs to source volunteers. Yes, as a general rule stays of a month or longer are preferable and you will actually find a lot of responsible orgs. setting that as a minimum. It is pretty easy to sift out the bad from the good. Just check out their websites, make sure they have a child safe policy in place and require you to provide a police check from your home country - this is a good indicator of their bona fides (but not necessarily the only one). A lot of orgs also have strong links to overseas orgs or have been established by concerned expats. Read the accounts of other volunteers who have worked for them - either from their website links or sourced independently. It's really not that hard to 'do your homework'.

#28 Posted: 20/2/2013 - 01:12

• sophannheng

Joined Travelfish
    5th February, 2014

Hello Friend
    I'm Mr Heng Sophann , I'm school assistant like school principle too , now i finding volunteer who want teaching English in my school or help some things in my school too . My school name Wat Chork primary school 3km west of Pop Street , in PnheaChey village Svaydankom commune Siem Reap town Cambodia . ( E-mail : h.sophorn@yahoo.com ) .

#29 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 23:28

• strawrimp

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2011

dsc07382.jpgIf you can play music, teach music local kids

Music for Everyone School
    https://mescambodia.wordpress.com/

#30 Posted: 1/7/2014 - 09:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Free Volunteer Work in Thailand ... By dragonfruit on 2 Jun 2010 0 4542 2 Jun 2010
English teacher wants (free) volunteer work ... By mari111 on 21 Mar 2013 5 4303 6 Nov 2014
First timer advise, Volunteer/Work ... By liltraveler on 14 Nov 2011 0 825 14 Nov 2011
Hostel exchange in Bangkok - voluntary work in return for a free bed ... By Eldwyer90 on 21 Aug 2014 2 580 21 Aug 2014