Flag of Cambodia

Cambodia forum

Koh Rong - Where to Stay

• douluvme49

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2011
    Total reviews: 2

Hey everyone
    We are heading to Sihanoukville then on to the island of Koh Rong. We are thinking of staying at Monkey Island... anyone know if it is decent? I tried googling reviews but I can't find anything. Any suggestions on where to stay? I've read what is on travelfish.. just wondering if anyone has had any personal experiences... THANKS in advance :)

#1 Posted: 21/5/2011 - 19:21

• Advertisement

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

http://www.kohrong-island.com/index.php

Soon to be a major destination. Let's hop they don't destroy it like everything else.

#2 Posted: 7/6/2011 - 07:01

• douluvme49

Joined Travelfish
    4th February, 2011
    Total reviews: 2

Posted from within Vietnam.

Agreed! We ended up staying at Monkey Island. Koh Rong is beautiful minus the sand flies. We hiked over to the other side of the island and its one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. Not a soul in site either. Beautiful warm waters, waves you can play in etc. Where runners if you decide to do the trip, and take lots of water.
    Tip for everyone: LOCK UP YOUR VALUABLES. We had been so careful with our computer.. but one night we left our window open when we went for dinner and someone climbed in and stole our computer and hardrive (all in the same bag). The owners think it was probably a village kid.

Anyway besides that incident we LOVED Koh Rong. So relaxing!

#3 Posted: 7/6/2011 - 08:08

• heddenswest

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

is getting to koh rong pretty simple? i understand the boat takes about 2.5 hours. any details in getting there?

thanks!

#4 Posted: 21/7/2011 - 09:08

• adclesta

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2011

getting to koh rong's really easy there are a few agents in sihanoukville where you can buy a ticket for the boat, $15 i think it was. they take you in a minibus to the port and yeah takes about 2 hours. monkey island is good for the backpacker crowd, i enjoyed me stay there, but theres no local feel near enough everyone was english like us, even the owner was from a city about 20 miles from my own city! we ended up going to treehouse bungalows and staying there for about a week in total, we enjoyed it more overall. really cool place, incredibly friendly owners even took us out fishing on there boat for free and we bbqd it that night. the other place on that side of the island, paradise i think is more for the diver crowd

#5 Posted: 21/7/2011 - 09:29

• marikaki

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Hi, i am also interested in going to Koh Rong and wanted to ask if either of you knows/has stayed in Angkor chum or sok san bungalows and can recommend any of them.
    Thank you

#6 Posted: 5/10/2011 - 17:53

• norbit

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2010

Definitely agree with adclesta with the Treehouse Bungalows suggestion. The owners of Monkey Island also own Monkey Republic in Siahnoukville and seem to have a monopoly on the backpacker crowd, however with success can come complacency. We stayed in Monkey Republic, but when it came to Koh Rong we went with Treehouse Bungalows and was very grateful for our choice. Besides having the option of sleeping in something that half resembles a treehouse (really a bungalow 2 stories up tacked on next to a tree - thats still a positive), Treehouse is located in its own private bay, and one of the owners cooks great breads etc. If you feel like having a loose night, walk 5 minutes to Monkey Island.

#7 Posted: 5/10/2011 - 22:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.